Dead Battery Woes.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Dead Battery Woes.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Dead Battery Woes.

You may already know this but here is a tip from an old mechanic. I was hunting out in the bush 50 miles north of no where and loaded up to go home. I hopped in behind the wheel, twisted the key and heard this sickening " clicking " sound. After using up most of the naughty words I had in my vocabulary I decided to try and resolve my situation. I know that my quad has a generator so I unloaded the quad, hooked up the booster cables and revved up the quad a bit for about 5 minutes. I said a prayer, hit the key and the truck fired up. I made it home without further incident and the truck is fine. You can buy battery booster packs but they are really nothing more than a small lead acid battery with jumper cables attached and if you have already been using it for other things around camp it may not have a full charge. If you are boosting a dead vehicle battery you should NOT unhook the booster cables immediately after the vehicle starts. The vehicles voltage regulator will not cut out the charging circuit until it sees minimum charge voltage ( usually 13.5 volts or more ) If you unhook the cables before the battery has at least a good surface charge, your alternator will charge "full field " until that minimum charge level is reached. This can or will overheat your alternator and cause premature failure. When I was rebuilding starters and alternators I would sometimes see rotors that got so hot they had turned blue form heat and the winding was burned and brittle. In my case I used the generator on my quad to charge up my vehicle battery first before I tried the truck. If you use a booster pack to jump start a dead battery I think it would be wise to leave the cables hooked up for a couple minutes until your vehicle battery has a surface charge.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Since you didn't mention what type of vehicle your talking about. If your battery is bad it will kill your alternator. Stay away from Walmart batteries, the reason is their advertise cold cranking amps is way off! Your think your getting a 650 CC amp battery and in real life it's only 500 cc amps! I've seen that way too many times at my brothers shop! Brand new battery! Now a simple dome light left on will drain a weak battery. A alternator only maintains a fully charged battery.

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Yes there seems to be quite a difference in quality between battery manufacturers. When I was in my shop I was pleased with the quality of batteries built by East Penn and their customer service to their dealers was good too. I recently sold a truck with a Napa battery that was originally installed in another vehicle in 2005. I load tested that battery last fall and it was still good. I have never seen any other battery last that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun56 View Post
    Since you didn't mention what type of vehicle your talking about. If your battery is bad it will kill your alternator. Stay away from Walmart batteries, the reason is their advertise cold cranking amps is way off! Your think your getting a 650 CC amp battery and in real life it's only 500 cc amps! I've seen that way too many times at my brothers shop! Brand new battery! Now a simple dome light left on will drain a weak battery. A alternator only maintains a fully charged battery.

ca'jun56
    cajun56 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun56 View Post

ca'jun56
    Walmart Ever ready batteries are a joke.The one in my buddy’s vehicle popped like a balloon and melted.
    miket156, cajun56 and lever30 like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I heard Optima batteries are no longer made in the USA, and now they are crap.
    cajun56, miket156, lever30 and 1 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have always used interstate batteries in everything .I hope im right .what say you mechanics ?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    another vote for Interstate batteries

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    I measure my battery tray and install the highest cca battery that fits in that tray! When that Auto-gasp-Zone battery went dead in my Titan, was in truck when I bought it. I have a 850 cca battery from Oreily's, thanks to my brothers woman who works there, I got it at her cost! So far so good! Just remember if that so said good battery you just bought is light! It barley has the lead it needs to maintain charge and power!

Optima battery's are made in China and is junk now. I had one last me ten years, but it was made here in the states!

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Lately I have been using Autozone batteries as they have a no BS warranty, other than that I agree interstate battery is the best.
    gunscrewguy and Tomray like this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Get a Yuasa any extra cost will be worth it, check volts with engine running look for 14 volts much different and you could have a alternator problem.
    Last edited by Rralph357; 09-11-2019 at 01:30 AM.
    cajun56 and gunscrewguy like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links