what was the fastest car you ever had?
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree794Likes

Thread: what was the fastest car you ever had?

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #

what was the fastest car you ever had?

I grew up on my daddy's used car lot back in the late 60s and through the 70s I saw them all, drove them all, and raced them all! man I grew up in a time when 442s Hurst old's, Z28s, cobras, Chevelle's and GTOs roamed the earth! my daddy really hated to have the hot rod cars on the lot because all the kids bugged him to start them up, but he always had them. I loved it! I remember one my daddy had on the lot I had never saw before or since then. it was a 1970 monte carlo SS454, I think that was a rare one. my first car was a 62 impala 2DHT after that I had a lot of hot rod cars. the fastest one I ever had was a 67 galaxy 2DR post. it had a built 428 interceptor and a 4sp. it would absolutely fly! I never got out run in it. the next fastest was a Plymouth furry 2DR HT with a 440 magnum, it would run so fast it would scare you! the sharpest one I ever had was a 1965 SS Chevelle. the fastest I think I ever rode in was my buddy's 69 SS 396 but it had a stock built 327 power pack "202 valves" four barrel quadrajet carburetor he replaced the blown up 396 with. late one night we were in that thing and he opened it up, when we passed 120mph the quadrajet just kept moaning and it just got faster! he out ran big blocks with it like they were tied to a tree! I have no clue what made that car run so. oh those were the daz,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    396 is a big block. Fastest straight stock car I ever had '70 Chevelle SS LS6. Nothing stock could touch it accept 427 Vetts or Cobras.
    OLSKOOL, cajun56, olmarlin and 5 others like this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    1966 Dodge Coronet 500. You could burn off the back tires if you wanted to. Loved that car, sold it to a military friend when I enlisted. He sent me a pic of it wrapped around a tree. I guess he couldn't handle the power.
    OLSKOOL, cajun56, olmarlin and 7 others like this.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    another one on my daddy's lot I loved was a 1970 GS "grand sport" Buick with a stage one 455 engine,,,,,,,,,,,
    cajun56, Da Duke, olmarlin and 9 others like this.
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    1991 Mustang. It was a police car. Got that going 170 mph once or twice. Father has a 2003 Mustang Mach 1. He had that going 165 mph once. And then got pulled over while doing it!
    OLSKOOL, cajun56, olmarlin and 4 others like this.
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    1955 Oldsmobile Super 88. I have no idea what was in the engine. My dad sent me to the guy selling it who said it was his mother's car. Didn't tell me even what make car, just handed me the keys and said start her up. Figured it might be some lillte old lady type car and almost said not interested but took a look anyway. Well at least it wasn't a Plymouth. I started it up and damn, it sounded like a squadron of B-29s firing up. I looked under the hood and three shiny carbs staring me in the face. His mother's car? Who was she, the little old lady from Pasadena? I went up and I asked how much and he said $500. After I got it home I found out all it needed was a new set of tires. Had that car from 1961 till 1966. With a wife and kid at the time it was a bit too expensive to drive. Traded it straight across for a 1959 VW ragtop. Like going from the sublime to the ridiculous. Gutless wonder but it was fun to drive. Had a buddy who worked at a junkyard who set me up with the engine and transaxle from a Porsche and put it all together for me. A lot more fun to drive after that. Later I traded it in on a 66 Ford Mustang with three on the tree. Lost that one in the divorce. Just plain old cars and pick up trucks since then. Funny thing, my 2015 F-150 will out run every one of my earlier vehicles and it's strictly stock.
    Paul B.
    cajun56, OLSKOOL, olmarlin and 5 others like this.
    COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMOROM PROMULGATED BY MORONS!
    WHAT GOOD FORTUNE FOR GOVERNMENT THAT THE PEOPLE DO NOT THINK!....Adolf Hitler
    Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
    MOLON LABE

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Not nearly as fast or as quick as the real muscle cars of the era, but I had this 1969 Chevy El Camino for six years. Took it from a faded brown to bright yellow. Pulled the original 350 2 barrel, had that rebuilt with higher compression pistons, a torquey "rv" type cam, Edelbrock streetmaster intake manifold, 4v Carter carb (a 625 I think), changed to electronic ignition. Added a set of chromed headers & nice sounding dual exhaust.

Had the TH350 auto trans rebuilt with a B&M shift kit, stronger components throughout.

Danged thing smoked the tire (no posi) coming off the line, then barked 'em again pretty good when it would shift hard into 2nd gear on a full throttle run. Ran it a few times at the local NHRA drag strip. We used to be able to go out there and for a $2 safety inspection, we could run our street cars for hours, well into the night. It was fun. My car only ran mid-low 14's, but so did most of the other actual street cars of the day.

Buddy of mine had a nearly stock 340 Cuda, 4 speed. He'd added headers and tuned it nicely. We raced each other a few times. I think his car was a little quicker, but he sometimes struggled with the 4 speed manual. We ended up running neck and neck a lot.

His little brother shoehorned a 327 V8 into a Vega and really wanted to beat my car... Nope. Didn't happen. He made the mistake of leaving the stock Vega rear end in his car, after adding all that power.

First run against me, he just went up in smoke when the green lights flashed on the Christmas tree.

Second run against me, his rear end broke bad.

I dunno what happened to his Vega after that. I kinda lost interest in fast cars eventually and never went to the drags again.

Guy
    Da Duke, cajun56, OLSKOOL and 4 others like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    My 1991 Mustang hatchback! Fastest it went on drag radials was 9.89 in the 1/4 at 135 mph. The engine was pulled at 5,000 miles in it's place went a mexican block stroke to 355 cubic inches! Large Dart heads with 2.05 intakes and 1.08 exhaust valves, heads was ported by Larry Meaux. I kept the motor fuel injected with 42 lb injectors with a aftermarket intake. Just motor at 3600 lbs the car ran 11.0's at 119 mph, installed vortech supercharger at 10# boost 9.90's at 135+ mph. Top end, I will not even guess, got stop doing 150+ on I-12 by a sheriff department. Lucky he knew me from the race track! He had a mustang himself!

ca'jun56
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The fastest car I've ever had was a 1971 Corvette 454 with a turbo 400 trans. That thing was scary fast but I never saw what it would top out at. I would get it up to 145 and would back off afraid something was going to turn loose like something in the steering or a tire blowout. A guy that was a year ahead of me in high school owned a Gulf service station in town and we were just shooting the bull one day about my Corvette and turned out he had had the same car except for the blue color and was telling me about the left front tire blowout he had at 140 mph that took off the left front fender and almost caused him to wreck. Well after that I held it down to 125 -130 just a couple times. Writing this brings a chuckle to me as I remember my step dad saying "you'll never get me back in that thing again" after taking him for a spin one day. Ah the good ol days.
    M700, cajun56, olmarlin and 5 others like this.

My heroes’ have always been cowboy’s

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Here to break the trend, a BMW guy, would be a M235I coupe, fast enough in a straight line, quick around corners.
    M700, cajun56, olmarlin and 4 others like this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links