Turkey with a handgun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Turkey with a handgun

Sidewinder
    Member #

Turkey with a handgun

After an afternoon of blasting away at the backstop on my property, the conversation amongst us buds drifted to turkey talk. Specifically those special purpose-built shotguns on the market today. In a lull in the chatter, I cleared my throat and quietly asked why not attempt to take an Osceola with a handgun this fall? At first, the brethren sighed and huffed as though I'd suggested that the NL adopt the DH rule!

Shortly thereafter, it seems my friends decided to play and string me along.

Before long, a list of ideas sprung forth: a 6" Ruger GP100, a Glock M34/9mm, an 8 3/8" Smith M48/.22Mag and for my 2 Euros, a 6.5" Ruger Single Six Bisley .32 H&R Mag w/ handloads.

And now after our respective dinners tonight, phones have continued expanding on this topic.

What say you? (Before I get responses questioning the legalities, it is permitted here in Florida to turkey hunt on private land with a handgun.)
    Watson, fetch your revolver and let's go.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I say go for it! Can I come too?

AC

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've shot mice, rabbits, squirrels and deer with a handgun but never a turkey . Why not, provided you are proficient with it. IHMSA guys been doing it for years. Good luck getting close enough.

Papalote
    11 Team 444

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've filled Turkey tags with a handgun, my old 3 screw Super. Handguns are legal in South Dakota if the cartridge is factory rated to produce over 700 ft/lbs of muzzle energy. That includes .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag and several Contender chamberings. The season coincides with the regular Firearms Season for Turkey, that is Gobblers only in Spring, any sex in the Fall. I use a .44 Mag handload with either cast 240's or Rainier plated 240 grain bullets over a mid-range charge of Unique.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Tinhorn
    Member #
    If it bleeds you can kill it!

Deadeye
    Member #
    I remember watching a hunting program on TV where they were hunting Turkey with a handgun. I don't remember what they were using though. I can' do it here as Missouri is Shotgun/Archery only for Turkey.
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    And here I came to this thread expecting to see photos of a Turkey carrying.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Go for it! Turkeys are usually killed at “handgun range” anyway, so why not?

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    It's illegal in Ohio. I shoot a lot of small game and varmits with handguns. Wouldn't be a big deal to take a turkey. Wouldn't be as hard to hit as a squirrel with body shots. When I'm out of state deer hunting I always take a few rounds of Turkey ammo with me for deer rifle. Cartridges with bullets that won't expand much. To much gun with center hit on Turkey don't leave much except mattress stuffing. I shot a chicken one time with 44mg, 240gr JHP. It was on a bet with the guy who owned farm we were hunting on. It killed the hen alright but it was creame chicken on Bisquit material when the cloud of feathers cleared. If you hit the breast with a large caliber you might as well not have shot it if you intend to eat it.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    I say go for it! Can I come too?

AC
    Alan, of course!

Am also thinking it might be fun to exhibit the usefulness of a M336/.30wcf loaded to .32-20 velocity with a 115 grain cast bullet on these critters.
    Watson, fetch your revolver and let's go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links