Good budget autoloader?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Good budget autoloader?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Good budget autoloader?

Took my brother (16 years old) on a turkey hunt in the spring and we came back empty handed because I only have one shotgun. When he was holding the gun I had the angle, and the reverse, and anyone who's ever been in the Northeast in May knows how thick the brush is; being just a few feet away makes a big difference.

That being said, I want a semiauto shotgun with a "broke college student" price tag. Trying to get as much gun as I can get for as far under $1000 as possible, otherwise I might just get a Benelli Supernova pump. I also love simplicity; the fewer moving parts in a gun the more reliable it is and the easier it is to strip down.

I'm looking at the Mossberg 930, which has a reasonable price and I'm definitely a fan of the mid bead on the barrel. Or the Stoeger 3500, which is essentially a Benelli with a different name and accommodates up to a 3.5" shell. Being an NYC resident (for the time being) it has to have a fixed stock and cannot have a pistol grip.

Anyone know anything about these guns, good or bad? Anyone have another suggestion I may not have considered? I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance guys, I appreciate the time you're using to lend a little wisdom.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Never owned a Mossberg. Having said that, the majority of the hunters involved in our deer drives, which are hard on shotguns, use a Mossberg with no complaints. Funny you should mention the Stoeger 3500, one fellow had a new one this year, and developed an issue where the bolt could not be made to go forward, ended his hunt with that shotgun. Not uncommon for a shotgun to develop problems on the hunt, but this is usually after many years of hard use. Always keep a loaner beater shotgun in the jeep for these happenings.
    Last edited by graymustang; 08-31-2019 at 12:48 PM.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Don't know anything about the 930, but Mossberg seems to make a decent shotgun for the price!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    The 930 is a nice gun,best shotgun for the money though is a Maverick 88 made by Mossberg. It's essentially a Mossberg 500 in synthetic stock. I own both the 500 and 88. Nice guns

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Look for a good, used Remington 1100 or 1187. They are a little beefy but pretty much foolproof and way under your budget.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The only issue with the older shotguns is they did not have choke tubes you had to swap the barrel for the choke you wanted unless you had the barrel modified to accept an adjustable choke.
    ChrisZ96 likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Ditto on the Mossberg 930. Nothing fancy, but, tried and proven
    ChrisZ96 likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I use a Beretta Urika 391 for birds. These are an excellent shotgun that has served me well in foul weather and below feeezing temperatures. It's reliable, easy to maintain and soft shooting, at least in my opinion. I have seen them at my LGS for $500 in very good to excellent condition.
    Mine is wood furniture and I would not treat it like a duck boat gun, but I have seen them with plastic stocks and I am sure those can be abused without worry.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    If you get used too a pump, you can get three as fast as an auto, & most shotguns have choke tubes now, for the better ones.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5
    Team 60 # 511

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    For an autoloader, the Turkish-made Hatfield SAS can be had for as little as $200, brand new. They tend to be a bit balky at first, but oil the heck out of one and put a box of cheap field loads through it -- it'll never jam again. Academy lists them right now at $229.99.
    ChrisZ96 and gunscrewguy like this.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links