• 2 Post By VinceA
  • 3 Post By marlinluvr
  • 2 Post By VinceA
  • 1 Post By VinceA

Thread: SemiAuto turkey gun

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

SemiAuto turkey gun

Thought I'd ask you all here on the Marlin site. My son is starting his Eagle Scout project this summer. I thought as an award for this achievement that I'd buy him a semiauto shotgun for turkey hunting. We hunt quite a bit together and I thought a new gun would be a good That A Boy. I have been looking around a bit and all I see are Mossberg 930's for a reasonable cost. I don't like the AR style pistol grip but camo, yes. I thought I might be able to find a used Beretta, Benelli, Browning, etc.... but can't find anything. Although this will be used for turkey, it will also be used for waterfowl.

Any Suggestions?
    V
    marlinluvr and Pig Ninja like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Browning a-5 humpback either older belgium model or the new aluminum.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Have you looked at the different models with your son, found out what HE might like in terms of old school wood/new school synthetic stocks (can be a big weight difference)? Make sure you get him to put it up to his shoulder in order to check fit too prior to purchasing! It's wonderful to hand a kid a new gun as a surprise, but if it's not what THEY want or doesn't fit...you're (and they) stuck with it! When I gave my son his, it came in the way of a card/IOU then we went out and shopped what he wanted. Not quite the initial enjoyment of opening a present, but made the whole process enjoyable that he was part of the decision making! Congrats to your son (and your family devoting the time/effort) too in obtaining his Eagle Scout...No easy feat!
    Travlin, Pig Ninja and V1Rot8 like this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Berreta A300, Stoeger M3k, Franchi intensity

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I like the A5 Brownings but not the price. The new Maxus is nice too, but also pricey. That's a good idea about taking him out and trying different guns. We were at Cabela's in Wheeling WV early May. They had zero Camo clad shotguns and nothing for turkey either. I think they had one pump gun. I guess the search will be the adventure. I looked on GB too. No used guns, they had quite a few of the Turkish made shotguns but I am unsure of their quality. I want to get something that will last, they are an unknown quantity. I have a couple Berettas and the A300 is similar to my AL 390. I do believe they make it in Camo too. I think you can get one in the $700 range. That's doable. I have found Beretta to be a good gun and adaptable since you can alter LOP and Drop at the stock. You are right, LUVR, want to make sure it fits.

Should be a good time looking.
    V
    Travlin and marlinluvr like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Have you considered a youth model pump. They come in camo and some have spacers that can be added to the stock as the child grows.

My first shotgun was a Winchester pump. I've hunted a lot of birds with that shotgun.
    I would think a pump shotgun is a great choice for someone starting out.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The 930 turkey is a nice shooting gun

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have a Winchester Super X 2. Its a Browning patent, made by FN in Belgium, sold by Browning Arms, Winchester name licensed by Olin.
    It has never failed to fire, cycle, fire. My waterfowling friends with the Italian guns are always stopping to clean to make them run again.
    They may be onto the 4th model by now.
    Gas gun, fires 2.75 to 3.5 inch shells the same.
    Parkerized metal, plastic stock. Beat it up, it asks for more.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Just to clarify, my son is 15 and weighs almost 200 lbs. He has a youth model Charles Daily 20 ga pump. It is a shooter and kills turkey. He also has an 870 20 gauge pump. I thought with his size he is ready for a 12 that he can use for everything. I like the SX2 but can't find one for a good price. I am looking at the 930 pretty close. Only thing I heard detrimental was forestock didn't fit receiver well. I also thought about buying a 930 for me, so I can mount a scope and giving my son my HK turkey shotgun. I have 3 barrels for it, one for turkey, waterfowl, and rifled slug. Hopefully I can find one we can put our hands on. I'm not going to buy one without touching it.
    V
    Travlin likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links