Turkey gun - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Like Tree155Likes

Thread: Turkey gun

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    In South Dakota, a rifle State for turkey, tags are issued by application and a computer drawing. Turkey is considered Big Game. Rimfires are illegal, even the .22 WMR. Turkey shooting begins at .218 Bee or .22 Hornet. And no, I don't need to sit in the snow on a 10 degree November or April Day and call them. I'll snipe them, and they'll taste just as good. I shoot at ground level when they come off the roost early in the AM. Shooting up into the trees or sky is very unsafe.

The Hornet is very popular here during Turkey Season, I have several friends that use them, either in a CZ 527 or an H&R Topper. Handloads with FMJ bullets are just fine.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Wrangler
    Member #
    Ah.... the search for the perfect turkey gun. long story...

I started with my old browning BOPS 28 inch barrel with full choke when my father in law took me turkey hunting in Wisconsin.... worked great and never had a issue with #5 shot whatever 3 inch loads.
    Then the father in law lost the passion and I didnt hunt a couple years and decided to go on my own in Minnesota
    Whacked a nice bird... 26 pounder... then I truly became a turkey hunter.
    Missed a bird the following year so I added Williams sights to boost confidence
    Then I started using a popup blind on rainy days and understood why short guns work better...
    Now I am dabbling with a 870 rem express tactical with XS ghost ring sights and a pistol grip stock that does alright...
    then I bought a turkey choke tube for my citori 725 and that is incredible and two choke availability for short and long shots, but its too pretty to sit in the rain and mud....
    Then I tried my franchi affinity 12 ga I use for ducks and the trigger is great and it patterns great.
    Then I had a long shot with the browning and decided a red dot is needed because of my bifocal eyes.
    Then I picked up a used mossberg 500A with green plastic stocks abd 24 inch barrel and a parker ized type finish. Perfect beater blind gun besides the citori. Then I learned why it was on the used rack and I m working through the extraction and 3 inch ejection issues.... patterns good and has a scope base.

So I wanted a red dot and loved my franchi so I bought a new one and put a red dot on it with a scope base.... Sweet gun.

Then I decided to try all my shotguns from the bench and my little savage 24 12ga 223 killed my shoulder to the point I almost went to the doctor for a MRI. It really hurt and I must have held it wrong. This was january last year....
    So I bought a new franchi affinity 20 gauge to try... shoots great.

So by the time T season rolled around, my sholder was in better shape and I used the franchi 12 with a scope based mounted burris FF3 and it worked. I didnt need the reddot capability to shoot off hand, but I dont like holding my head higher on the stock.....
    So I bought a sumtoy moint and I thinkI can co-witness my bead and need to test it.

So long story short....
    It will be a red dot mounted 12 gauge franchi affinity until I cant take the recoil and then drop down to the 20 gauge version with #9 TSS. I have to shoot non-toxic on federal land so I am used to puckering up on the price already.

I'm still trying to find a rainy day hub blind gun and hope to get the mossberg 500A because the citori walnut is too pretty to sit in the mud....

Of course I could buy a browning cynergy wicked weed duck gun for my universal gun and sell all of these extra shotguns, but then I still want a red dot....

This is why I tell people owning many shotguns is like golf... you can justify a whole golf bag full.

Has anyone seen the new savage turkey 220 and 212 bolt guns?

Hmmmm.....

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links