Finally! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Finally!

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Hey!

Moles are not that easy to catch. You can't bait 'em. You can't hear 'em, or even see 'em. You can't call them in, or decoy them. They don't leave sign. Just tunnels. And when it's cold, they don't move. There's new tunnels every day. And you gotta guess which tunnel he'll use.

Got this one with a Victor tine trap.

That one plus a few more pelts, and I'll make my wife a coat. Mole fur is slick as owl snot. I dressed the carcass out for jerky.
    Vooch, 256WinMag, Mavrik and 5 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    That mole is huge. I'm glad my dogs never brought me one that big.

I had a beagle/something, that was great at catching moles, the downside was she'd dig a 20ft trench in the yard to do it if she needed to. She'd bring them up to the front of the house and and leave them right in front of the step like a cat might do. Then she taught our lab.

The lab wasn't nearly as good as catching them, and she left even bigger holes/trenches.

Together they kept the moles largely confined to the far end of the yard. They're both gone now though and I get moles right up by the house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post

I had a beagle/something, that was great at catching moles, the downside was she'd dig a 20ft trench in the yard to do it if she needed to. She'd bring them up to the front of the house and and leave them right in front of the step like a cat might do. Then she taught our lab.

The lab wasn't nearly as good as catching them, and she left even bigger holes/trenches.

Together they kept the moles largely confined to the far end of the yard. They're both gone now though and I get moles right up by the house.
    I used to have a little Beagle/something dog too that did the same thing! She lived 19 years and finally died after being bit by a copperhead defending some of our little nieces in the garden. That was almost 60 years ago and I still think about her and miss her.
    Vooch, HIKayaker, F150Grrl and 2 others like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My beagle will sit for hours at the opening of a hole like an Eskimo at a seal hole. When he gets one he carries it around & teases the other dogs with it for a while then eats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post

This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Not moles, but Gophers are our problem. However, since my wife brought home a rescue cat from the shelter, we are free from them within 100 yards of the house.
    Problem is, she will often bring them into the house to present us with a present!
    Love my Marlins!
    "First in last out"!
    I have never seen a headstone in a Cemetery that said: "Gee I wish that I had WORKED longer!"

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Yeah, ours are gophers too.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder65 View Post
    Not moles, but Gophers are our problem. However, since my wife brought home a rescue cat from the shelter, we are free from them within 199 yards of the house.
    Problem is, she will often bring them into the house to present us with a present!
    Marlinjunkie likes this.
    This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I moved in October of '18. The yard was completely overrun with moles. I couldn't step ANYWHERE around my house that didn't feel like a sponge because of the mole tunnels. I paid an exterminator $680 to get rid of the moles. For that price, he came to the house 4 times, placing poison baits each time. (I wanted a pro to do this. I'm no mole expert and there were SO many mole tunnels - and I mean EVERYWHERE - that I couldn't tell which "runs" were active and which weren't.) That was in April of last year. It worked - the moles were exterminated. The exterminator advised me to keep a lookout for any additional mole activity and, if seen, to address it quickly. That did happen (about 6 months later - around October). Because it was a "single" at that point, I was able to buy the poison myself and get the rascal.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Didn't want to go the poison route, as we have two dogs in the yard. Neither is any good at catching moles, though. But the little one almost attacked me trying to get that mole, as I was digging it out. He was on it like white on rice. Had he gotten it, I'd never have been able to get it away from him. He'd have eaten it, then thrown up in the house. Didn't need that.

I've been pretty successful with the mole traps. There are many videos on line to show how to do it. Not hard but you need to be persistent.

Once the trap is sprung, you can either leave it, or dig it up. I like to dig it up to see if I really caught one. Several times, I've taken them out partly eaten by something--probably shrews...
    marlinluvr and Golphin like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    Didn't want to go the poison route, as we have two dogs in the yard. Neither is any good at catching moles, though. But the little one almost attacked me trying to get that mole, as I was digging it out. He was on it like white on rice. Had he gotten it, I'd never have been able to get it away from him. He'd have eaten it, then thrown up in the house. Didn't need that.

I've been pretty successful with the mole traps. There are many videos on line to show how to do it. Not hard but you need to be persistent.

Once the trap is sprung, you can either leave it, or dig it up. I like to dig it up to see if I really caught one. Several times, I've taken them out partly eaten by something--probably shrews...
    Need to do that to the illegals and drug smugglers! Might stop a few from attemptin’ The same thing!
    Drm50 likes this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    The trick to getting rid of moles is killing their food supply. Get yard sprayed to kill grubs and such and moles will disappear. They used to sell a product called Clorodane when sprayed on lawns it wiped out buggs and you would have no mole problem.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links