Dog? Coyote? Or Coydog? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: Dog? Coyote? Or Coydog?

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Look up a field guide to dog and coyote tracks. They are different and easily discerned. But that's a dog. Maybe feral, but then we do have some free roaming dogs around my place and they go to their homes every morning for food and love. That one is filled out just like my GSD. Well fed and probably a family dog.
    256WinMag likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It looks a lot like some wolf-hybrids I had 20 plus years ago. They were a combination of Gray Wolf, Malamute, and Red Wolf (I believe I heard that the Red Wolf was originally indigeneous to the south-eastern U.S.). They were reasonable dogs, but the big male we had was a real handful and definitely had a mind of his own. The photos look like a really healthy animal, so my guess is it got away from someone. To me, the nose looks too short for a coyote.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    for what it's worth, I think yote tails have about a 45° kink about midway ... very apparant. The footprints make a pretty sharp triangle with the middle two claws about touching. Also, not normally much more than 40-45 pounds, with some exceptions. At least that's what my experience has been with them for the last 50 years or so.

jd
    Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!!

Team 30-30 #939
    Team Rossi #5
    Team Wheelguns #44

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 256WinMag View Post
    My trapping has been slow this year. A bunch of coons but no predators. Two days ago this critter was under my bird feeders. I feed the deer all winter but for the last few days there have been none of my "pets" on the camera. Just more coons and this! I tripped my traps last week while I was out of town but will reset them tomorrow!

I need opinions on this guy. Tail and ears are coyote, muzzle is a little short. Color is not like anything I have seen before. What do you think?

01210116.JPG. 01210113.JPG. 01210112.JPG.
    I don't know what it is but you do know that Red Wolves were stocked over on my side of the Mtn near Cades Cove a few years ago don't you. We have had some Black yotes here with silver mixed in that weigh upwards of 60 lbs.
    256WinMag, GJinNY, mrguvna and 1 others like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    My experience, start bird-dogging your neighboring properties. People have an amazing entitlement attitude with other folk's land,
    especially when it comes to running their dogs. You may even be able to track it back to it's home property.

IMO the coloring would make it hard for this animal to survive in the wild, it almost glows
    against the tree background. Even if it's alpha status for that area, it's going to be awfully hungry, if it's markings won't give it any advantage
    stalking prey. OTOH, it looks like it could be a cross between a yellow lab and a 'yote...

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I am no biologist but I vote for a mix of wolf and dog. A few years ago I was driving up I-75 near your stomping grounds and a red wolf, who was bigger than that thing in your picture appears to be, crossed the road in front of me and went off into someones pasture. Those red wolves apparently didn't stay around Cade's Cove like they were supposed to. It makes sense that they would breed with dogs in the area.
    256WinMag and mar450lin like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    for what it's worth, I think yote tails have about a 45° kink about midway ...

The above comment is not always true! Lol. A "miss"guided bullet from a 220 Swift will make their tails arrow straight!! Ask me how I know??

Tim
    mikom, 256WinMag and mar450lin like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Peers to be a hybrid,just like the one that owned me for 5 years
    256WinMag likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Whatever it is, it is on the camera every day and there hasn't been a deer at that spot since it showed up. For the past year the deer have been there virtually every day, often more than once. Wish it would snow so I could see the tracks. None of the neighbors I have talked to own up to it or have seen it......I have not set the traps, but "corn dog" is testing my patience.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 256WinMag View Post
    Whatever it is, it is on the camera every day and there hasn't been a deer at that spot since it showed up. For the past year the deer have been there virtually every day, often more than once. Wish it would snow so I could see the tracks. None of the neighbors I have talked to own up to it or have seen it......I have not set the traps, but "corn dog" is testing my patience.
    Xylitol
    256WinMag likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links