Ideas to trap coyotes and not dogs - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Ideas to trap coyotes and not dogs

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I've caught two coyotes in a live trap.The traps were open on both ends.Brushed over,and you can see out the other side..It's supposedly how they trap lions in Africa..That's what the landowner told me anyway.He bought the blueprint's,and made several..We use yote pee to catch coyotes,and bobcat pee to catch cat's..Poured on a piece of carpet pad..You wanna catch run of the mill predator's..Kill a bird.Tie a string to it,and hang it by it's feet in the middle of the live trap...Coons,possoms,and fox;daily..
    No dog in the world will survive a snare.They will climb the fence,and choke themselves to death trying to get out of it..Snares kill everything that get's in the loop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    If you put leg trap's in places you wouldn't step,your dog probably won't either.When we have high predator years our trapper catches everything,but the 2 sheep dog's..He uses piss for bait..He puts them in impossible places..he's caught more rattlesnakes than predator's if that gives you any idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Gareth Holland likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguvna View Post
    you know how many hunting dogs I would catch. and I believe in NC it is against the law to harass or interfere with a hunting dog. it is a thought tho
    Theft of a hunting dog is one thing. Trying to trap or catch hunting dogs when they are lawfully hunting is what that law is there for. Dog hunters know that hassling land owners because of trespassing dogs and tearing up farms is a good way to get their dogs shot. The law won't protect an idiot who won't kennel his hunting dogs...

It's just like when I am out fishing in the middle of the day and have to cut some idiot's brush lines off my boat propeller... The law says you have to remove them in the morning.... If I have to cut one off my motor at 3pm - you didn't follow the law and take them down in the morning. I am not interfering with your fishing - you are interfering with mine....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Just last year we had a guy go to jail for shooting the neighbors dogs. The guy bought a few acres of land and put up deer stands. The
    people around there all had dogs and farm dogs aren't tied up. If there is a problem dog that bothers stock or damages others property it is dealt with sensibly by all concerned. Anyway a couple of neighbor dogs happen to meander through this guys property and he promptly shot them and hid the bodies. It was on his property but under a new law in Ohio you can't just shot a dog on those basis. He
    was first to be sentenced under this law. His excuse that he was being attacked didn't hold up the dogs had character witnesses.
    Gareth Holland and Sweetwater like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Wrangler
    Member #
    I've lived in several different states and learned a long time ago that it is not wise to let pet or hunting dogs run free... and I've never met with a "sensible" neighbor when I've attempted to speak with them and explain that I take issue with their dog roaming unattended on my property. It would seem that most pet owners seem to think that their pet is all that matters. I always try to be sensible and ask for help from the authorities when needed.

Also, glad that most states recognize property owner rights. In my opinion putting someone in jail for taking care of a problem, or protecting their pets and when minding their own business on their property is just WRONG! I find having character witnesses for dogs is just plain funny!
    Gareth Holland and 256WinMag like this.
    "That's all I've got to say about that"
    Forrest Gump

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Most of dog trouble is between farmers and non farmers who live in same area. If a farmer has a dog that harasses stock or harms stock, it doesn't last to long. Common sense is applied. It's different with pet dogs. Nobody has a sheep killing dog. I have been involved in a few of these cases. The give away was at first the time of the day problems were occurring. It mated up with when people were coming home from work and letting the dog out of the house. The old dogs that were loose were getting the blame. Owners are like parents of a ornery kid, they stick up for their dog to extremes. There is not a justification to shoot a dog unless it is doing harm.
    Property owners have a right to protect their property but common sense must prevail. We have a influx of people who are buying small parcels that are being sold off farms as vacation lots. Most of buyers are from urban areas. They bring with them a bad attitude like they have to shoot everything that walks across their property. They patrol perimeter of ther 1.4 acres like they are going to be attacked.
    Sweetwater and mar450lin like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gunfighter
    Member #
    1 way to mitigate catching none target species is to only set the traps at or after dark and spring or release at first light. As the saying goes what the eye cannot see, also less likely for a responsibly owned dog to be out after dark. 1 way of stopping other peoples dogs running or hunting your property is to catch hold of them nicely and not hurt them, ring the dog warden (if you have one) and say you have found a poor stray dog. Dogs in UK have to be micro chipped so they can be returned directly to the owner who then cannot deny it his dog if any damage to people or stock has been done. Any not chipped are held in kennels to be claimed. A £70 fee has to be paid in each case per dog. I had a problem with 2 working cocker spaniels running wild through the woods chasing Deer and Pheasants, the excuse was that they were out for a walk on a public footpath and ran off after some deer, the second time the dog warden took them home at £140 a trip for the 2 of them the owner decided that it might be an idea to keep them on leads when walking through the woods.
    Snares are in my mind a NO NO, that gives you a choice of leg hold or cage trapping. The problem with most cage traps is they are simply not big enough. If it warrants the work a purpose built cage with a drop door making sure they could not dig or climb out. If it is a real problem it's a job that only has to be done once. As the saying goes a trap never minded waiting and never ate anything (no cost) while it did so. GH
    mar450lin likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Most of dog trouble is between farmers and non farmers who live in same area. If a farmer has a dog that harasses stock or harms stock, it doesn't last to long. Common sense is applied. It's different with pet dogs. Nobody has a sheep killing dog. I have been involved in a few of these cases. The give away was at first the time of the day problems were occurring. It mated up with when people were coming home from work and letting the dog out of the house. The old dogs that were loose were getting the blame. Owners are like parents of a ornery kid, they stick up for their dog to extremes. There is not a justification to shoot a dog unless it is doing harm.
    Property owners have a right to protect their property but common sense must prevail. We have a influx of people who are buying small parcels that are being sold off farms as vacation lots. Most of buyers are from urban areas. They bring with them a bad attitude like they have to shoot everything that walks across their property. They patrol perimeter of ther 1.4 acres like they are going to be attacked.
    I agree with most of what you say, but it sounds as though dogs in your area are different than dogs in the south. Pet dogs kill other pets (dogs, cats) and livestock. I hope that you would not dislike a new neighbor just because they are not farming and do not own as much property.
    Forrest Gump

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Holland View Post
    1 way to mitigate catching none target species is to only set the traps at or after dark and spring or release at first light. As the saying goes what the eye cannot see, also less likely for a responsibly owned dog to be out after dark. 1 way of stopping other peoples dogs running or hunting your property is to catch hold of them nicely and not hurt them, ring the dog warden (if you have one) and say you have found a poor stray dog. Dogs in UK have to be micro chipped so they can be returned directly to the owner who then cannot deny it his dog if any damage to people or stock has been done. Any not chipped are held in kennels to be claimed. A £70 fee has to be paid in each case per dog. I had a problem with 2 working cocker spaniels running wild through the woods chasing Deer and Pheasants, the excuse was that they were out for a walk on a public footpath and ran off after some deer, the second time the dog warden took them home at £140 a trip for the 2 of them the owner decided that it might be an idea to keep them on leads when walking through the woods.
    Snares are in my mind a NO NO, that gives you a choice of leg hold or cage trapping. The problem with most cage traps is they are simply not big enough. If it warrants the work a purpose built cage with a drop door making sure they could not dig or climb out. If it is a real problem it's a job that only has to be done once. As the saying goes a trap never minded waiting and never ate anything (no cost) while it did so. GH
    Yes, trapping should be kept humane (nonlethal) and snares are not legal in this particular state.
    256WinMag likes this.
    Forrest Gump

Wrangler
    Member #
    I don't trap but in Michigan they have laws on the books for snaring, and it is called non lethal snaring. May be an option for snaring and releasing non-coyotes

Here is the web site which shows the regs

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/T...5_144690_7.pdf

This is the gist of the non lethal snares.

Deer Stops and Break Away Locks
    A Michigan snare must have a stop that keeps the loop from closing down any smaller than 4 1/4
    inches in diameter. In addition, the snare must have a lock system that breaks away at a force of 285
    pounds or less.
    This is a typical snare with a deer stop installed.
    A lock system that breaks at a force of 285
    pounds or less would also be required for this
    snare to be legal in Michigan.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links