Release with a recurve
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Release with a recurve

Wrangler
    Member #

Release with a recurve

Hear me out now...

I have shot traditional archery for decades- I prefer recurves but have had a few longbows along the way. However.. I have not shot at all the last two
    years due to the curse of arthritis in the distal joints of my index and middle fingers.

A couple of years ago I bought a release and tried to learn to shoot with it, but I swear it was so weird-feeling and I had no idea where the arrows were going. I have always shot two fingers under and anchored with my middle finger at the corner of my mouth.

So, a release... I know, I know-- but it's that or nothing with stickbows. I know Mr. Hill and Mr. Bear and Mr. Pearson didn't do it that-a-way, but it's either that or I don't shoot at all.

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick
    Team .30-30 #1343, 1977 336 .30 WCF, 1983 1894 .44 Rem Mag, Mossberg 464 "Brush Gun" .30-30., 2013 336W .30-30 Ackley Improved. Compulsive powder burner.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I shoot both recurve and compound. I have never tried using a release with my recurve. But, being that you have arthritis I can understand why you're going this route.
    When I shoot my compound bow with a release, I have a kisser button on the string that touches the corner of my mouth when I pull back & aim. Maybe this is an alternative to your middle finger at the corner of your mouth. Just a thought (again, I never had to use a release on a recurve bow.)
    I also use a nok-set so my release gets mounted in the same spot ever time. Some guys use a "D" loop on their string(compound bow).
    Last edited by maki00; 05-11-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks Maki,

I've thought about the kisser button, and that would be essentially changing to chin anchor-- which certainly works, I have just never used it- and is why I can't tell where the arrows are going- my brain is programmed to how the arrows fly based on an anchor a few inches higher- which may as well be several feet higher as far as sight picture. So I would probably have to go to a sight also- although I may be able to get away with marks on the back of the riser.
    Team .30-30 #1343, 1977 336 .30 WCF, 1983 1894 .44 Rem Mag, Mossberg 464 "Brush Gun" .30-30., 2013 336W .30-30 Ackley Improved. Compulsive powder burner.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    I'm not an instinctive shooter(at least not since long ago) but I shot bare fingers for years before transitioning to a release. I shot in a hunter class league that gave me a 15 point handicap...so I had little incentive to change. I liked having no release to monkey with when hunting, and the guys shooting them (the whole league but me) were always wearing out stings, nock points and etc.

I eventually did change, because everyone assured me that the release was worth more. I'm not sure it was and it took me a long time to get used to it.

Anyway, no reason you can't have a consistent anchor with the release...but it may take a bit to recalibrate your hand, and for instictive shooting, your brain. It could have an impact on your draw length, as well.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks Daniel,

I'm not an instinctive shooter (though I read Fred Asbell's books and lost a bunch of arrows trying to become one!) but was a pretty decent gap shooter. Shooting with sights does not bother me much, as I had them on the only compound I ever owned (a Bear Whitetail Hunter back in the day) but I still shot with fingers. And of course, shooting recurves with sights is nothing new.

You're right about draw length- I suppose you could position the kisser button to where the draw length would not change much, but without trying it I have no idea what that would do to the sight picture.

Thanks for the input!

Rick
    DanielE likes this.

El Capitan of Teams 32 Special, 1894 and 450 Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I shoot a longbow & instinct shoot. I don't know how a release would work for any traditional bow. I also still use my Matthews from time to time, so I know how shooting a release works. I had thought about shooting instinctively with a compound. The short axle bows are hard to do that with because of the extreme string angle. You have to have strong fingers and shoot split finger. I shoot 3 under & have never been able to get good results from split finger. I have an older compound that is not so short that needs a rest that I'm going to be trying to shoot instinct with.

Maybe a back tension release might work. If you can find one that will allow you to get it close to the mouth.
    Team 1894 -Mash Here - Team 32 Special - Mash Here
    Team 450 Marlin - - Mash Here

Teams 1894, 45-70, 35, 444, 30-30, 32Spl, Win, Wheelguns & Bangin' Blackhawks

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Try a crossbow. There are many well built models to choose from that cost less than $500.

TR

Judson likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Have never used one, but have had friends use hook style releases on their traditional bows, as in

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Rick,

I would try this before giving up on traditional archery:

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...ticlekey=50602

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Motel 6 once.
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Ive never been comfortable with a mechanical release either. I found I can no longer use my traditional anchor point. Releases became pretty much essential when the compound bows became popular. Two reasons. The weight of the draw, during the heavy phase. And the move to very short compounds. At full draw there is such an acute angle in the string, that fingers are uncomfortably pinched. I still shoot fingers on my compound, but it's a longer one. Even so, I have to shoot two fingers below.

Also, the higher speeds of the compounds allow better efficiency over recurves, even with shorter draw lengths, and allow some compensation for the use of releases and shorter draws. But I haven't gotten comfortable with either a shorter draw or a different anchor point.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links