How did you learn to shoot ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: How did you learn to shoot ?

Sidewinder
    Member #

How did you learn to shoot ?

Since thers sevral different styles of shoot'n a trad bow, I was curious how some of ya'll learned to shoot & have you changed your style (technique) of shoot'n ??

I taught myself to shoot by kick'n a empty plastic milk jug around the yard, wherever it landed I shot fro the red cap on top, most shots were close but it got me started, then moved into roving for longer shots, all I knew was to anchor just under my eye & pick a tiny spot on my target (kind of like throw'n a rock when you were a kid), never was a great shot but sometimes suprised myself as to how good it worked out for me.

And ya'll
    When I was just a baby, my mama told me son, always be a good boy dont ever play with guns.

Team X7 #2 Team 60 #33

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My dad started me hunting and shooting when I was about seven years old and at the same time bought me my first gun, a Remington 22 single shot.
    .Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    My dad started me with a red ryder bb gun. I took that red ryder apart and mod the spring where I could kill field rats in the old grain silo out in the field. And when I got good enough where I was killing alot of rats with one shot he got me a M90 22 over 410 and I was squirrel and rabbit hunting and not wasting any ammo. Then the rest is history.
    Marlin

NRA Life Member
    Team Semi-Auto #55
    Team Wheelguns #66
    Team 30-30 #879
    Team 45-70 #1268
    Team 60 #223
    Marlin 336W 30-30
    CVA Wolf 209 .50cal Muzzleloader
    Marlin 60SN
    Tristar 20 Gauge
    Taurus 605 .357 mag.

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” Mark Twain

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    my first love was my grand fathers ,daisy mod 25 pump action BB gun he had a target box in his garage we would shoot it every time we went over.
    when we I was 10 he gave it to me. and I still have ,and it still shoot,s fine. at that age every kid had a red rider and we played war or cowboys
    to end the argument of who shot who first , we would shoot each with BBs the rule was below the belt in the front and below the shoulder in the back.( no head or nut shoot'!!)
    kids some time got hurt but it was so much fun no one would rat the other out to there folks ,if you required medical attention it was a accident
    and no one would think of suing the other. but then We did't have judge judy "THE GOOD OLD DAYS"
    dch likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I saw my uncle Jim Murphy hit a knot in an apple tree with his bow when I was a small boy 55 yrs ago and didn't know it at the time but I was hooked. Been shooting a bow for about 53 yrs now and have hunted with only Trad archery equipment for the last 21 yrs. I love my guns but love my bow more.
    stykbow57 likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Dad, he started taking us hunting when we were 7 years old. It was up and down hills ,through briar patches and thick brush at what seemed like a dead run just to keep up. I carried an Ithica 22 single shot. He'd give me one 22 short bullet.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    10 years old at school. We had a sports day and our team didn't have a competitor in archery - I volunteered. I won the darn thing and beat a kid that had his own bow. We shot bows together for a very long time after that.....46 years wow...where did the time go. Jer
    Gurn likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CATROCK View Post
    my first love was my grand fathers ,daisy mod 25 pump action BB gun he had a target box in his garage we would shoot it every time we went over.
    when we I was 10 he gave it to me. and I still have ,and it still shoot,s fine. at that age every kid had a red rider and we played war or cowboys
    to end the argument of who shot who first , we would shoot each with BBs the rule was below the belt in the front and below the shoulder in the back.( no head or nut shoot'!!)
    kids some time got hurt but it was so much fun no one would rat the other out to there folks ,if you required medical attention it was a accident
    and no one would think of suing the other. but then We didn't have judge Judy "THE GOOD OLD DAYS"
    Reminds me of a funny story along those lines. I had an older cousin that was always messing with me and one day we were out with our BB guns and he had to go to the bathroom. He lived in the country and they had an outhouse, so he goes in the outhouse and drops his drawers while I waited about twenty feet from the outhouse. He decided he was going to mess with me and stood up apparently without puling his pants up and opened the door a crack and shoved his BB gun through it and took a shot at me. I was standing with my BB gun down by my hip and I felt the BB just nick my pants leg so I just fired from the hip at the outhouse door. I heard him howl in pain and found out my BB had went through the opening in the door and hit him in the bellybutton. It was one of those thousand to one shot shots and he ended up with about a three inch bruise around his bellybutton. I never did admit it was a lucky shot.
    J BOBWAY and msharley like this.
    .Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I got a dasiy bb gun at 5 and would shoot cans in the back yard. At 6 I would go rabbit hunting with my dad and at 7 I got a 410 single shot for my birthday. My dad is not a big hunter or shooter we'd go out on weekends to spend some father son time in the woods. Now there's really now where I'd rather be then the woods or the range.
    msharley likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    45-70 Team Member #979
    35 REM Team Member #453
    30-30 Team Member #842
    "We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone"- Ronald Reagan-

DWB
    Gun Wizard Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Not sure how I how my style "developed" when it came to shooting a trad bow... I know that all of us kids had turns with the same bow when we were visiting my Uncle. He was the biggest influence for all of us when it came to sticking with bows. He gave us our first pointers and "styles" didn't really come into it at all. He was pretty big on a specific form though...

Shoulders parallel to the target, sting elbow horizontal, light fore-finger and thumb grip on the riser with the bow hand, with the other three fingers kind of droopy and relaxed, and a consistent anchor point (usually the middle finger at the corner of our mouths), with one over & two under. All of us started with that form.

Since July, when I finally got back to trad gear, the compound has been gathering dust. Also since then, I've been doing a fair amount of reading of other peoples forms or styles. About the only thing that did was create inconsistency in my practice. I broke my form back down to the basics, and the only thing that I have changed was my string hand - - gone from one over & two under to three under, and focusing on a relaxed release with the string hand using back tension...

Funny thing though, it seems to be a subconscious action... When I just let it happen, my shots are good, when I try to think through the back tension and the release, my shots go wide (usually left) - - like I'm plucking the string. So here I am, 47 years after the first time my Uncle let me loose some arrows, and I find that {most of} his ways were the most natural and the most consistent. Shoulders squarely parallel with the target, relaxed grip on the riser, same anchor point (but 3-under, now), a circular but horizontal draw that brings my back into play, string arm elbow horizontal, and smooth release (that is easiest to come by way of not actually thinking about forcing the follow-through)...

So... The short answer to the OP is because of the way my Uncle Harley taught me.
    J BOBWAY likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links