Boat plan for 2020 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: Boat plan for 2020

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Plan to still fish out of my 17.5 ft. Duracraft bass boat with 50 hp mercury........I like it!
    Smith & Wesson The Handgun Of Choice!
    Revolvers Rule.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Can't bring myself to part with my 1998 Hewescraft 21' Sea Runner. She (Misty Blue) is powered by a Yamaha Saltwater Series II 150HP fuel injected 2 stroke. Powerful and fast. Very comfortable with a mid length cabin, jump seats, and a spacious fishing area. Fished all over the northern shore areas of the gulf of Alaska for 17 years. Now she's with me in the Puget Sound area. Fishing isn't very good but the crabbing and shrimping are great. Have made one trip to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island and will make more in the future.
    Haven't found a boat I like better that I can handle by myself.
    So to answer your question...
    My plans for 2020 and beyond are to take care of her until she outlasts me and turn her over to my son.
    Safe boating everyone!!
    My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy! -- Thomas Jefferson

Bugs

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alawrence View Post
    I am still working on my 1999 Lund WC-14 as my permanent South Carolina boat. I have it partially wired for navigation lights, trolling motor and depth sounder. Unfortunately, winter has settled in and I am done till spring. In the meantime, I am in search of a 25hp long shaft to replace the 9.9 Mercury that's on it now. It's just to small for this wide, heavy 14 footer.
    Andrew
    South Carolina is sort of a tricky boat place... Most of the water in the state is narrow log filled rivers and small lakes made by damming rivers/creeks. It's nothing special to be fishing these in 2' of water or pushing up into log filled sloughs to find the fish. A flat bottom jon boat rigged to "run skinny" is almost perfect for this but a lot of folks use trolling motor powered "sneak" boats.... This is what I mostly fish and a 14/32 jon running a light 2-stroke 15. I really want a quality side scan fish finder - but it's often very shallow and I am worried about breaking transducers.

But then you have a couple big reservoirs such as Jocassee, Hartwell, Keowee, The Santee along with The Intercoastal and many of the coastal salt marshes - those generally require bigger higher side boats with some V in the bottom because waves and wind are common... But big boats with heavy deep vee and big fiberglass ocean capable boats can be trouble because of the risk of getting stuck or damaged by shallow water, logs, low tide shoals, oyster beds, etc.. Bass boats, bay boats, older tri-hulls, and pontoon boats are super popular in these places.

But then you have a LOT of coast/ocean here too. The Gulf Stream is about 75 miles out. A lot of reef fishing takes you out a ways. Most people find they need a large capable boat that can handle nasty weather, waves, tide changes through inlets, etc and can navigate out of view of the shore.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I re-powered the boat and bought all new electronics last year. This year I’m buying a heading sensor/digital compass. This will make target tracking on the radar more automated and will also allow the radar image to be overlaid on the GPS. This unit has sensors in it that compensates for the roll/pitch of the boat when the radome is rocking back and forth. With the digital compass feature targets on the radar will not only show relative position to my boat but magnetic bearings as well.

Im also going to replace two bilge pumps and the bait well pump.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73, Team Remington 700 #63, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135, Team Winchester #131, Team 1894 #515

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    South Carolina is sort of a tricky boat place... Most of the water in the state is narrow log filled rivers and small lakes made by damming rivers/creeks. It's nothing special to be fishing these in 2' of water or pushing up into log filled sloughs to find the fish. A flat bottom jon boat rigged to "run skinny" is almost perfect for this but a lot of folks use trolling motor powered "sneak" boats.... This is what I mostly fish and a 14/32 jon running a light 2-stroke 15. I really want a quality side scan fish finder - but it's often very shallow and I am worried about breaking transducers.

But then you have a couple big reservoirs such as Jocassee, Hartwell, Keowee, The Santee along with The Intercoastal and many of the coastal salt marshes - those generally require bigger higher side boats with some V in the bottom because waves and wind are common... But big boats with heavy deep vee and big fiberglass ocean capable boats can be trouble because of the risk of getting stuck or damaged by shallow water, logs, low tide shoals, oyster beds, etc.. Bass boats, bay boats, older tri-hulls, and pontoon boats are super popular in these places.

But then you have a LOT of coast/ocean here too. The Gulf Stream is about 75 miles out. A lot of reef fishing takes you out a ways. Most people find they need a large capable boat that can handle nasty weather, waves, tide changes through inlets, etc and can navigate out of view of the shore.
    I own a place a hundred feet from a boat ramp on Lake Russell. Instead of hailing my big Lund 860 miles one way, I will have this 14 footer already there. Although the lake is 26,000 acres, I just need to move around a little to find active fish.
    Once I move there permanently in a few years, I will then get a pontoon boat. I just love pontoons for fishing and lounging around.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I use two boats. One is a 14' Crestliner with a 5 hore motor for the smaller lakes and the other a 16" deep Lund with a 20 horse for the larger lakes. Both Tiller steered. Both have trolling motors. Get by just fine with them. Both are older boats but then I am older also. Also set up with cheap depth finders. Most of my fishing does not require a larger faster boat. Actually the Lund has more room than some of the "Bass Boats" I see.

DEP

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If the conventional vee style aluminum boats are popular up your way - you may be happier selling it up there and then buying something more commonly used down here along the lines of the Lund 1448M pointy nose jon boat or a Garvey style bass tracker. The up north style vee-bottom aluminum boats can be hard to sell down here because they aren't popular.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    This time of year is the time to pick up an older boat hull of good design for cheap, even if it needs to be re-painted and fixed up, represents a good deal, as the value of new boats falls of a cliff as soon as you leave the dealer's lot. Making sure you get a good used motor, is based on your experience or have someone who knows such things inspect/run it. Also be sure new parts are available for that engine.
    Kendawg, truckjohn and gunscrewguy like this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Last summer I picked up a 12' fishing kayak and have used it quite a bit. I'm going to stick with it for our local rivers & lakes. Haven't fished from it yet, but I've been busy using it to poke around on the Columbia River and nearby lakes for some wildlife photography:

This year I plan to do the same, and start doing some fishing from it as well. I know it's not much of a "boat" but it serves me well.

Guy

Contributing Member
    Member #
    A Gheenoe (manufactured in my county) with a mud motor kit using an air cooled Honda GX small engine. They'll get in and out inches deep. I'd love to gunk hole the Okefenokee Swamp. Since I have a disability a small motor is allowed. I would be like a mini jungle cruise - like "The Creature From The Black Lagoon"

AC
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; 01-21-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    256WinMag, turbobug, M700 and 4 others like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links