Grunge on the bottom of an aluminum hull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Grunge on the bottom of an aluminum hull

Contributing Member
    Member #

Grunge on the bottom of an aluminum hull

Hi folks,
    I picked up a 1999 Lund WC-14 (I believe that is the correct designation) trailer, and 10hp Mercury outboard for an exceptionally good price. This boat will be kept at my vacation home in SC., so it will have limited use.
    Now, the exterior of the hull, below the water line is coated in what appears to be cement dust that has adhered in varying levels of thickness. I have used a wire brush to remove the majority of the grunge, but it will not come completely clean.
    I would like to get it cleaned off completely, so that I may paint the hull. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone seen something like this before, on heir boat?
    I will try to post photos of the hull tomorrow. If the weather cooperates.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I sure wouldn't use a wire brush on aluminum. Too late now, but maroon Scotch-Brite would have been a gentler choice.
    Zuikowarrior, NRA Life Member

Team 35 Member 48, Team .30-30 Member 112, Team 39 Member 92, Team 60 Member 18, Team .45/70 Member 912, Team MR-7 Member 9, Team 1894 Member 414, Team Glenfield Member 81, Team Savage 99 Member 26, Team Browning Member 115.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Try sugar and water paste, let it sit for 5 or so minutes, then scrub it off.
    Put sugar in a bowl and mix enough water in to make a lite paste.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73
    Team Remington 700 #63
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135
    Team Winchester #131
    Team 1894 #515

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by zuikowarrior View Post
    I sure wouldn't use a wire brush on aluminum. Too late now, but maroon Scotch-Brite would have been a gentler choice.
    The brush is a softer metal than the aluminum hull. It hasn't even scratched the areas where there was bare aluminum.
    Andrew
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Media blast will take all off boat and not harm hull. Fella around here charges $150 to show up at your house and blast hull clean.

ca'jun56
    alawrence and no primers like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alawrence View Post
    The brush is a softer metal than the aluminum hull. It hasn't even scratched the areas where there was bare aluminum.
    Andrew
    Well, I assumed since you didn't specify the metal in the wire brush you used a common steel brush. Good to hear that the hull wasn't scarred.
    alawrence likes this.
    Zuikowarrior, NRA Life Member

Team 35 Member 48, Team .30-30 Member 112, Team 39 Member 92, Team 60 Member 18, Team .45/70 Member 912, Team MR-7 Member 9, Team 1894 Member 414, Team Glenfield Member 81, Team Savage 99 Member 26, Team Browning Member 115.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I took is little boat out on a local lake to test out the 1988 Mercury 9.9 outboard. The engine started right up and had good water output after I had changed out the impeller for a new one.
    After a lap around the 400 acre lake, I idled down and the engine quit after about a minute at idle speed. The little trolling motor took me back to the launch, as I could not restart the engine.
    I think I will be working on the fuel system next. I knew I would have a few issues with it, it's 30 years old after all.
    On a side note, after owning my big Lund, I forgot how lightweight these small aluminum deep Vs are. They sure get moved around in a stiff wind.
    Andrew

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Pics would really help of course, but being on the bottom exterior waterline down, there's a good possibility that it is Anti fouling, or bottom paint.. a good chemical stripper will take it right off.
    If some bottom paints sit out in the air, and not submerged, they turn to a chalky consistency. and a few heavy coats add up fast and look pretty thick and heavy.
    no primers and alawrence like this.
    Team 60 #186
    Team 30-30 #987
    Team Semi-Auto #34
    Team 45/70 #1801
    Team Wheel Guns #100

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Merry Christmas and I hope you got it sorted out.

Sounds to me like the hard trash may have been the leavings from "barnacles" - aka leaving it in salt water...

If it was my engine - 99% of the time it's a carb or "fuel" problem... Probably sucked up trash or water out of the fuel tank. It generally takes me several tries to clean out the whole fuel system including the pump.
    cajun56 likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by truckjohn View Post
    Merry Christmas and I hope you got it sorted out.

Sounds to me like the hard trash may have been the leavings from "barnacles" - aka leaving it in salt water...

If it was my engine - 99% of the time it's a carb or "fuel" problem... Probably sucked up trash or water out of the fuel tank. It generally takes me several tries to clean out the whole fuel system including the pump.
    Hi,
    As far as I know, this boat was never in salt water. I'm thinking it was laid on its hull on wet, swampy land for years. The grunge looked and acted like oxidized aluminum.
    As for the engine, I completely rebuilt the carb and fuel pump, installed a new fuel filter and fuel lines. It starts on one or two pulls, and idles nicely. The one issue I am trying to track down, is that once the engine gets hot, I loose fuel pressure. The fuel filter bowel will not fill fill and when I pump the fuel tank bulb, I hear a hissing sound from somewhere in the engine. The weather is rather uncooperative at this time of year to trouble shoot. So, it will have to wait till spring.
    Thanks for the ideas though.
    Worst comes to worse, I will sell off some rifles this spring and get a new Evinrude E-Tec 25 horse.
    Andrew
    Kendawg, gunscrewguy and cajun56 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links