Grunge on the bottom of an aluminum hull - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Grunge on the bottom of an aluminum hull

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alawrence View Post
    Worst comes to worse, I will sell off some rifles this spring and get a new Evinrude E-Tec 25 horse.
    Andrew
    I put a 300 E-Tec on my boat this past summer...love it!
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73
    Team Remington 700 #63
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135
    Team Winchester #131
    Team 1894 #515

Distinguished Master
    In an old beaver swamp in upstate New York
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsneck View Post
    Pics would really help of course, but being on the bottom exterior waterline down, there's a good possibility that it is Anti fouling, or bottom paint.. a good chemical stripper will take it right off.
    If some bottom paints sit out in the air, and not submerged, they turn to a chalky consistency. and a few heavy coats add up fast and look pretty thick and heavy.
    If it's anti fouling paint, is there any chance it was used in salt water? Salt water is bad news on aluminum boats.
    Supporter of USA Olympic shooting Team
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Could it be calcium or lime build up from sitting in the water for an extended period at some point in the past? If so household CLR works well.
    no primers likes this.
    “Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.” - Matthew Quigley

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Never, never sell guns to buy boats. It’s ok to sell boats to buy guns. I don’t know where that is written, I think in Book of Dan or Wall Street Journal.
    alawrence and no primers like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Never, never sell guns to buy boats. It’s ok to sell boats to buy guns. I don’t know where that is written, I think in Book of Dan or Wall Street Journal.
    I already have the boat, I just need a reliable engine. As for selling the rifles, I have had many of these rifles sitting in gun cabinets for years, seldom shooting them. I need to start downsizing in anticipation of moving to SC and I have more rifles than I can feed.
    Andrew
    no primers likes this.
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I was going to say lake snot, algae from setting the lake to long. Then drying on the boat.
    alawrence likes this.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense! The tree of liberty would be a great place for hang mans ropes!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team Wheel gun # 74
    Team 22 bolt action # 5

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If you need to go new - go for one of the miscellaneous flavors of Tohatsu made factory branded 15hp motors like Mercury, Evinrude, or Tohatsu...

Since you mentioned South Carolina.... Yamaha would be my #1 choice followed by a Tohatsu made Mercury. I would say Yamaha's 3:1 outnumber everything else in the new motor realm around here. The Merc second because it's the fastest of factory Tohatsu's for the given hp output and there are a lot of dealers. Used is probably pre-BRP Evinrude/Johnson 2-strokes followed by Yamaha 2 strokes. You hardly see a new Evinrude around here - and I know the local Evinrude dealer.

The new E-tech's are HEAVY for a 14' boat....

On your Merc... If it consistently will crank cold and run till it's good and hot - it could be an ignition component overheating and shorting out - coil, module, etc... Any way you can get it good and hot then test for spark - that would tell you... But it still sounds like trash in the fuel system somewhere....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links