• 2 Post By no primers
  • 1 Post By northmn
  • 1 Post By marlinluvr
  • 1 Post By 10acres

Thread: Season Winding Down

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Season Winding Down

Been doing some fall fishing. Its a little different than Summer. Northerns moving into the weeds more. Water is very clear now. Weeds are thinning out. Starting to miss the summer already. Weather is colder and more windy days. I do hope to get in some perch fishing this fall as they are one of the tastiest fish in the lakes. Couple of years ago I went out on Leech and caught some very nice ones. 10" or so. Going to be a long wait until next summer.

DEP

Distinguished Master
    In an old beaver swamp in upstate New York
    Member #
    Yup, got one boat winterized, got my trolling rig half done
    And my wife is still fishing with her Lund, that will be last.
    She took her mother and friend out on a lake and got 26 nice blue gills. Yesterday.
    northmn and marlinluvr like this.
    Supporter of USA Olympic shooting Team
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Blue gills are fun anytime of the year. Lots of lakes with gills in this area but they are not that nice. You can catch a small one about every cast but no larger ones. Soem claim they don't catch the numbers in the fall but bigger ones. I have seen that a little.

DEP
    no primers likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Must be nice to have seasons other than summer!
    no primers likes this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinluvr View Post
    Must be nice to have seasons other than summer!
    We fish in the winter but a little differently than in the South. We walk or drive out and drill holes in the water and sit there waiting for something to swim by and take the bait. Rods are a bit different. Large trailers are getting popular that folks can take out on the water and sit in more comfort. The water surface gets a bit solid at below zero.

DEP

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It gets cold in MN? Wow.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I was talking to my sister the other day that lives in MN and she was talking about pulling everything out of the lake they live on. I keep my bass boat on a hoist and can pretty much use it year round. I've never seen our cove freeze over very much. We have a dock building company in the back of our cove and they keep the water stirred up enough that it wont freeze often and if it does they bring out their barge and break it up.
    northmn likes this.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749, Team 444 ​#761
    Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Distinguished Master
    In an old beaver swamp in upstate New York
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    Blue gills are fun anytime of the year. Lots of lakes with gills in this area but they are not that nice. You can catch a small one about every cast but no larger ones. Soem claim they don't catch the numbers in the fall but bigger ones. I have seen that a little.
    Instead of just a bobber he used that old wooden plug.
    DEP
    I seen a fishing show on TV once, were a guy was fishing from shore were everything from shore out to probably 30 yard or more was all thick lillepads . He was fishing for blue gills. He used an old wooden plug, that he took the hooks off of, then he hooked two peaces of line to the eyes were the hooks were made one a little longer than the other, put the worm hooks on those lines and casted that out . He was whipping in blue gills with that rig like crazy . Was always going to try that, but haven't yet.
    Supporter of USA Olympic shooting Team
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links