Is Frog Gigging Hunting or Fishing?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Is Frog Gigging Hunting or Fishing?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Is Frog Gigging Hunting or Fishing?

Well, in Ohio anyway, one must have a fishing license to gig frogs, so I've posted in this forum. I first gigged with my father and, later, convinced some kids my own age, as well as a brother, to gig with me. Gigging for me was always done in a stream (Ohio has warm-water streams, not the trout steams I love to wade and fish in other states). Waiting until fully dark, and working as a pair, one guy held the light and the other the gig as we waded knee deep in the water parallel with the bank. There can be tons of bullfrogs in a farm pond, but we never gigged in one (either from a boat or wading). We didn't own a boat of any kind, and farm ponds can be really tough to wade in with their "suck your feet under" mud as opposed to the gravel bottom of a stream. I haven't been gigging since I was about 20 (and that was 44 years ago!). I thought that when my sons got a certain age they might want me to take them gigging, but they never did even though I told them about it (they do hunt and fish, though).

So, any frog giggers here? What's your method?
    DWF, turbobug, Joe in Fl and 3 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It would be hunting for me because me and my cousins used 22 rifles. We have gators in Georgia!

DWF
    Sidewinder
    Member #
    Haven't done it in a long time but it sure is fun! I still have my old frog fork but I've also hunted them with a .22

Wouldn't mind going again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Frog gigging was a big deal down this way but has dried up. For some reason the Frogs are thin. We use to take off about dark me and Bro, with one of the kids to be sack man. We would be back in a couple hours with a nice mess of jumbos. The woman would have the potatoes ready to fry and coleslaw made. We didn't like to freeze them so would just get what we needed for a meal. The kids got into it when they were big enough. My daughter & wife were hard on gigs, the boys picked up the art easily except they wanted to gig banjo pickers not big enough to eat. I still have boxes of gig heads left from when everybody did it.

We gigged the stip pits and farm ponds in Jon boat. The super big frogs came out of farm ponds that were so grown up around them it was impossible to get them from the bank. Shooting frogs is illegal in Ohio but I have been told that a 22 with shorts and scope is idea rig for pond frogs. I wouldn't know anything about this myself.

I would like to hear from other parts of Ohio on their frog populations. They are getting thin around this area. Snakes, turtles, lizards and crawfish are decreasing too. Don't know what's going on. EPA claims water is OK. Rumor that over populations of coons is the cause, I don't buy that.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    hunting
    Judson and alawrence like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Gigging is popular in the Ozarks.
    Judson likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Haven't done it since I was a kid. Have a brother that got snake-bit by a copperhead one night while out gigging.
    Judson and alawrence like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    We were gigging in an old stone quarry that was only 4' deep max. Had the kids and a buddy with me. Wife was back on the bank cleaning a few we had got in the creek. There was a couple jumbos sounding off. Told everyone no light until we got close to frogs. When I told buddy to turn on light not only did we spot the frog there must have been 50 water snakes just hanging motionless in the water around us. The gang leaving the water at a high rate of speed about knocked me down in the back wash. They wouldn't come back in either. I don't know if snakes were frog hunting or just relaxing but snakes weren't to upset even at all that commotion. I never saw that many in one place before. All harmless water snakes.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Is Bowfishing fishing or hunting?

I think the best answer is - It is whatever the game dept. in your state says it is.

T.S.
    Judson, alawrence, a9mmfan and 1 others like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Here in south Louisiana, we simply use our hands to grab the frogs. Gators eyes and frog eyes are completely different! Gator eyes are much further apart! Gators eyes glow red! Wait to many secrets flowing out my brain! Must have a basic fishing license to gig/catch frogs!
    Limit on the amount of frogs you can catch!

ca'jun56
    Last edited by cajun56; 09-02-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links