A great day for striper fishing..............
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: A great day for striper fishing..............

Super Moderator
    Member #

A great day for striper fishing..............

My office co-workers and I hired a guide to take us striper fishing in the Chesapeake Bay area this morning. We are all US Army retirees or former US Army that got out after a couple hitches but still support our troops downrange working as DoD contractors for Uncle Sam. The wife hadn't fished for stripers since we were stationed at Ft. Hood, TX some 20 years ago--so she came along too. In fact, I hadn't been fishing in about 5 years or so---that will all change after this outing. The boat captain got us limited out within 30 minutes once he found where the striped bass were located. The action was fast and frantic as it can be when those fish are in a feeding frenzy. The weather was in the 60-70 degree range this morning but was very windy which sometimes made precise boat handling problematic. The captain and his first mate did a great job keeping us on the fish with the non-optimum wind conditions. My hat is off to both of them! There were a lot of happy faces today............
    20190711_075302.jpg20190711_082626.jpgimage1_V2.jpgimage3.jpeg20190711_100408.jpg
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 07-12-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    my daddy was a master at catching them. he would troll for them. man that is one good fish! we would cut them up, roll in cornmeal and fry them! for the ones who eat rice we cut up some onions and fry them in some of the fish grease, then add cooked rice, and soy sauce to taste then and mix. then cook it together a bit and sprinkle on sesame seed. the other way is eat them with grits and real butter of course,,,,,,,,,,,
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Yeah--these fish are good eatin'. I am going to BBQ some of the fillets tomorrow as its raining with T-Storms at the moment. I haven't yet decided how I am going to fix them up.
    jim716, JACKTW, cajun56 and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Member #
    Used to hammer those babies in the Santee Cooper lakes and rivers. Great fighting fish and excellent eating.
    Judson, miket156 and Ret_Eng like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    my daddy was a master at catching them. he would troll for them. man that is one good fish! we would cut them up, roll in cornmeal and fry them! for the ones who eat rice we cut up some onions and fry them in some of the fish grease, then add cooked rice, and soy sauce to taste then and mix. then cook it together a bit and sprinkle on sesame seed. the other way is eat them with grits and real butter of course,,,,,,,,,,,
    We fished light line (probably 10 or 12 lb test) on spinning rods/reels with 1/2 oz sinkers and live bait. Pulling up a 25 inch ocean striper off the rocks with that gear was simply awesome. I had a look at the trolling combos that the Boat Capt had ginned up for colder weather conditions---they were quite impressive!
    20190711_074653.jpg
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 07-12-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    northmn likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Rock Fish are fun to catch. I use to fish for them on the Susquehanna River on the north end of the bay. I just moved back up that way so might try to get back on the water this fall.

Congrats on the catch.
    V
    Ret_Eng likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    As I got older I found I enjoy fishing more. Good to see you had a great day. Some look at fishing as something to do before hunting season. I enjoy it in its own right. If I did not fish I might have a larger collection of rifles, but I cannot legally shoot 1 deer with every deer rifle I own. Rods and reels are about as bad. Fishing actually is more expensive than hunting as the equipment can add up. You now need your own boat, more gear and of course time. I am retired and now. A wise man said time spent fishing is time not taken away from ones life. The memories of good fish are the same as for trophy game.

DEP
    Ret_Eng likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
    Rock Fish are fun to catch. I use to fish for them on the Susquehanna River on the north end of the bay. I just moved back up that way so might try to get back on the water this fall.

Congrats on the catch.
    V
    Our Boat Capt said that the best fall striper fishing in the main Chesapeake Bay channel usually occurs in Nov/Dec. He didn't go into detail for the feeder rivers/streams into the Bay.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Fished for them in the Hudson River. Mostly used herring for bait. My biggest was 36” and about 25 lbs. Have seen some taken over 40” and 30+ lbs. Ate it once and was not impressed with the typical tasteless bass flavor. Now Walleye is a different, I’ll take all of that you want to feed me...

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    As I got older I found I enjoy fishing more. Good to see you had a great day. Some look at fishing as something to do before hunting season. I enjoy it in its own right. If I did not fish I might have a larger collection of rifles, but I cannot legally shoot 1 deer with every deer rifle I own. Rods and reels are about as bad. Fishing actually is more expensive than hunting as the equipment can add up. You now need your own boat, more gear and of course time. I am retired and now. A wise man said time spent fishing is time not taken away from ones life. The memories of good fish are the same as for trophy game.

DEP
    I almost bought a boat 10 years ago. Then the DoD decided to send me back overseas as a civilian for 6 month deployments. I came to the realization that it didn't really make sense to buy a boat when I couldn't spend any quality time on the water. I totally got away from fishing during 2013-2014--the deployments and changing job locations (hence a longer commute) took away a lot of my free time. I was able to do some local hunting/shooting/reloading but that was about it. I think my deployment days are done (I hope) so more time should be available for both hunting and fishing. I am definitely going to do some wade fishing on the local river this month and into the fall.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 07-12-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    JACKTW and northmn like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links