Cheap Watches that actually last
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Cheap Watches that actually last

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Cheap Watches that actually last

Had very rarely worn a watch anymore. But since the inclination toward "fumblefingers syndrome" has become more evident, reaching for my cell phone to check the time while fishing, may eventually become expensive. My Timex Expedition an old reliable, died last year and I thought good riddance. I've never had to ask which watch, because I only owned one watch at a time. What's a good cheap watch to get, one that lasts a few years and keeps decent time? It doesn't have to outlive me...

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The last watch I got was a ridiculously expensive wristwatch that my son bought me in 2006 for Christmas. I usually only wear it on special occasions, and it still looks and works like new--have only done battery changes. If a wristwatch is not to your liking, maybe a pocket watch with a chain? I have found that a wristwatch is sometimes hard for me to read (depending on the light) especially if I'm not wearing my reading glasses. With a pocket watch, you have more flexibility as to the distance to your eyes. With the chain, if you drop it (especially while fishing) it won't become a casualty.

Just my .02 worth.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I've been using the cheap Timex "Iron Man" style for a lot of years. I normally get about 5-6 years out of them .... normally one battery change .... before I physically trash them out. I pretty well sold on them.

Just to add, I've used low end Timex watches for 50 years and have been satisfied, with the exception of one particular watch in the mid 70's. I was assistant manager of a "demonstration farm" for our local jr college and obviously spent a lot of time on tractors. I found out then to never, ever, wear a self winding watch while bailing hay or disking. Lost two Timex self winders before I figured that out. But, along the same time I had a "student helper" that didn't even move his butt enough to keep a self winder running.

I'm still happy with the Iron Man watches.

jd
    Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!!

Team 30-30 #939
    Team Rossi #5
    Team Wheelguns #44

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I'm happy with my Invicta (faux Rolex) 40mm professional diver series. Retail - up the wazoo. Sam's $120, got mine on Amazon for under $70.

It just barely falls into the Chronograph calibration. + 3-4 seconds a day. It's got a Seiko Nh35A automatic self winding movement which is their workhorse. 24 jewels, and back is a window revealing a ball bearing on the pendulum!

If interested the model number is: 89260B

For beaters, Casio, hands down. (JMHO)

AC
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; 01-13-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    cajun56, Skyhunter, kah64 and 2 others like this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    just replace the old Timex Expedition with a new one.
    mine has outlasted 4 or 5 wrist bands.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    I wear a Seiko Solar! Never needs a battery! Going on six years and I haven't destroyed it yet! I just recently had to replace the band myself. Outlasted any and all watches I've ever owned.

ca'jun56

Last edited by cajun56; 01-14-2020 at 09:04 AM. Reason: picture
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have bought Casio A158WA-1DF for decades.
    I know how to run it.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, VCDL Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Stoeger coach gun, Henry Frontier

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I'm in the same category as cajun56...I have a solar Seiko that's about 7 years old. I got the Titanium band and its still in good shape. I'm not saying it doesn't show its age....but then...I kinda show mine too. If this thing ever dies...I'll likely buy another one. I think I paid about $160 for it 7 years ago. No batteries...no winding...just keeps good time.

redhawk
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have used casios and Timex watches since I was a kid. They are okay, but I usually just got 4 or so years out of them before they crapped out. After about ten watches, I decided to upgrade.
    I spent a couple hundred on a year old, used Luminox. The thing is a beast of a watch. Solid steel case and band, water resistant to 660 feet and the tritium hashes are easy to see in the dark. I go through a battery every two years or so. It costs me $10 to have it replaced.
    It is the last watch I'll ever own.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've worn the same watch since 1988, a Seiko Sports 150 that had a 10 year battery. That original battery lasted much longer than 10 years. I cracked the dome crystal and had it replaced with a flat one and replaced the battery several times, but it's been a great watch. My dad had many, many watches while I was growing up. The cases would turn green and get funky due to reacting with his skin, so he'd just toss them and get a new one; mostly Timex. I saw the value in getting good watch with a stainless case.
    My Faith, My Gun, My Constitution; I cling to all three!
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
    100 Club Life Member
    TexasCHLForum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links