Shooting with glasses
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Shooting with glasses

Sidewinder
    Member #

Shooting with glasses

I wear no line trifocals. That's anything less than an arms length is blurry and anything past 5 yards starts to get blurry.
    I like scopes 1/2 my guns have scopes but i also like iron sights. So far I've had best results when i take my glasses off. Lining up a blurry notch with a blurry post and a fuzzy bullseye isn't hard but i can't brag about being crack shot like i used too.
    Any tips or hints?
    I asked God for patience, I wonder what's taking so long.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    talk to your optometrist, tell him where you want your focus to be and get some single plane glasses for just shooting, trifocals will drive you nuts when trying to shoot, mine stay in the truck.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I don't wear my bifocals when hunting. I use regular prescription glasses in yellow and peep sights, it works for me. BTW I'll be 81 next month.
    Bill

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    I use progressive lenses. A peep site helps when eyes get older.
    Using it correctly ignore the rear site, you only concentrate on the front sight? It will naturally center in the peep. Put the front sight on target and your set,boom flop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackerbuddy View Post
    I wear no line trifocals. That's anything less than an arms length is blurry and anything past 5 yards starts to get blurry.
    I like scopes 1/2 my guns have scopes but i also like iron sights. So far I've had best results when i take my glasses off. Lining up a blurry notch with a blurry post and a fuzzy bullseye isn't hard but i can't brag about being crack shot like i used too.
    Any tips or hints?
    Last edited by Ojaileveraction; 06-21-2019 at 08:10 PM.
    Tim​

"There Are More Things in Heaven and Earth, Than Are Dreamt Of In Your Philosophy."
    Power to the proper people at 600 yards

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I never use glasses when shooting.
    Way too much of a chance for injury if one is broken.
    I always leave the beer in the can or use those red plastic cups.
    Stay safe!
    I was reading one of your stupid rants, and thinking what a freaking idiot you are, until I realized it was one of my own rants from last week.

"Lord, bless me with patience... Not opportunities to be patient, I've had plenty of those and they don't seem to be working. The actual patience... !"

Marlin Fanatic
    New York, due to family ties. Never Forget 911
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaine View Post
    I never use glasses when shooting.
    Way too much of a chance for injury if one is broken.
    I always leave the beer in the can or use those red plastic cups.
    Stay safe!

Team 45-70 ~ #45
    Team 1894 ~ #86
    Team Browning ~ #41
    Team Old Pharts ~ #103

Deadeye
    Member #
    I wear progressive glasses. Sometimes it's a challenge to see everything at the same time. It very challenging to shoot open sights and sometimes a nightmare with optics! Problems I've ran into is setting optics focus so I can properly see the reticle and objects then also the eye relief adds to it.
    I've just learned to adjust my head position and with an optic set the focus so I'm looking through the top part (far vision) of my lens seems to work for me.
    Victor N TN likes this.
    Team 35 Rem #781 JM 336 in 35 Remington
    Team 30-30 #1438 JM 336 in 30-30
    Team 38-55 #27 Mdl 1893 in 38-55
    Team 1894 #586 JM 1894 in 44 mag
    Team 22 Mag #190 XT-22M
    Team Henry #146 Frontier 22LR
    Team Wheel Gun #131
    Team Semi-Auto #75
    Team Old Pharts #389

Wrangler
    Member #
    Well here is another short story to possibly consider. Used to consider myself a great shot (scoped bolt guns) ‘til I got addicted to leverguns, breech loaders & reloading. That was a few years ago (when I was 70) & hanging around w/shooters that use only period type sights & cast bullets for sihoulettes & dingers out to 1000 yds. Humbling experience as I found myself not the great shot I thought I was.

Finally to the point. I always just used “cheaters” for reading. However after making my very best effort to improve my marksmanship skills, I began to narrow down to find my greatest challenge in shooting was my vision that was preventing me from consistent sight pictures, particularly a long ranges 400 & + yds. Remembered that I did have a slight corrected lens for one eye that was not reading but distance. Went back to eye doctor to get a written shooting glasses prescription. W/that I went to the local Costco vision cntr & they made up a couple sets of shooting glasses (chose a couple different color lenses) for not too much $.

Did it solve all my problems...I wish. Definitely helped but I still have to accept the fact I have 79 year-old eyes. Hope this helped.
    Last edited by Sideswipe; 06-24-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Team 35 Rem # 279 336SC
    Team 45-70 # 431 1895G
    1895LTD IV
    Rolling Block
    Team 450 # 60 1895MR
    Winchester 94, 1866-1966 Centennial

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Not just seeing the sights. Being able to identify the target clearly.

Oh, and thanks for the idea Blaine. I just invented the 'stock cup holder'.

Out in the woods on a hot day, rifle in hand. Thirsty, we all need to keep hydrated. How about the TranterUK patented stock cup holder. Keeping that cold beer where it needs to be, attached to your firearm. Just send $500.00 to my address and we will have one on its way, sometime soon. You know it makes sense.

Judson, Blaine and Victor N TN like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    This:

Quote Originally Posted by mrkfrnt View Post
    talk to your optometrist, tell him where you want your focus to be and get some single plane glasses for just shooting, trifocals will drive you nuts when trying to shoot, mine stay in the truck.
    Be sure to wear safety goggles over you prescription glasses. It only takes ONE "accident" to injure an eye or your eyes permanently. Yep, they're a pain, but don't risk your vision for convenience. Wearing glasses and safety glasses is something you can get use too.
    gunscrewguy and Victor N TN like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links