Shooting with glasses - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: Shooting with glasses

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I visited the chap who makes my reading and driving glasses and told him what I needed to be able to see ie the foresight well and the target fairly well, he did eye tests and produced a lens to go in a proper shooting glass frame I got of Ebay. My need was to be able to shoot .22lr 25yd prone better. I now use the frame and lens for any iron sights including peep as it helps a great deal. So my advice would be talk to your optometrist first.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    If I use a strap to hold my glasses in place it is a lot easier for me to focus on the sights. It's bad enough when everything else is moving.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I am using 1.75 readers for close work. Amazingly, 1.25 readers help my distance vision and being able to focus on the front sight as well as seeing the rear and target. Like going back in a time machine for me.

AC
    Blaine and Victor N TN like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    When I was young, I was a good shot. Not so much now.
    However, I have figured out how to hit the broad side of a barn, Just stand inside of that barn!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Ah.........the humbling ravages of OLD AGE!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by secondfiddle View Post
    When I was young, I was a good shot. Not so much now.
    However, I have figured out how to hit the broad side of a barn, Just stand inside of that barn!
    Remember to close the door or you still could miss.
    MikeT49 likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Same as you Trackerbuddy, no glasses. Not easy, but works. I know one day I will have to do something different. ..........66 and holding.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I am nearsighted and have astigmatism. Using regular prescription eye glasses with the no line bifocals was a nightmare. The key is the fact that when you use regular prescription glass, the optical center of the lens is placed where you normally look through the corrective lens. This gives you maximum correction in the normal use of your lenses. When using wither open, peep, scope, you are now looking through the upper left hand portion of the lens (assuming you are a right handed shooter), far away from the optical center. You therefore loose correction and get a fuzzier image. One of the best investments I made was a number of years ago was to get shooting glasses which sit higher on you nose and have lenses made which shift the optical center to that upper left hand area of the lens. These lenses are larger and also no bifocals, so the lens is lots cheaper and a simple prescription. What a difference and lots less eye strain and you see the sights the way they were meant to be seen. I use them in shooting high power National Match style competition (AR15 type rifles and bolt .308 with target type stocks, both with peep sights). I also use the shooting glasses with with scopes. You see the crosshairs much more clearly and distinctively black. With astigmatism, crosshairs get a really weird look where the vertical does not look the same as the horizontal. An additional benefit is that without bifocals you see the ground much more clearly. You can't read with them, but that is not the point to getting shooting glasses. My frames were made by a company called Ranger and the lenses are easily removable and come in a whole bunch of different tints. The trap and skeet guys want different color lenses to see the clay birds better against different backgrounds and lighting conditions. As an aside, I don't understand the comments about not using glasses while shooting because of "way too much of an injury if one is broken". Quite simply, that makes no sense. All modern lenses are impact resistant plastic or tempered glass and act to protect your eyes in the event of a shooting mishap. And if you wear the shooting glasses while hunting, you keep from getting "twigged" while working through the thick stuff.
    MikeT49 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I use a (prescription w/bifocals) pair very similar to these, use them for riding too...

Never go down stairs with your hands in your pockets. - moi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links