A moral quandry, and my decision as to what to do - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: A moral quandry, and my decision as to what to do

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Great idea! I am in the process of doing that now. I have a daughter who lives here in Idaho, but my son lives in Minnesotastan.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That is a good suggestion.

I've made a list of my collection and what I paid for each & it's value.
    But my wife has already told me she doesn't want anything to do with my guns, regardless of it's value.
    If she was to find out how much I have invested in guns, she would probably kill me anyway. lol

There will come a day when I'm unable to get out and shoot anymore. I intend to sell my entire collection by then.
    I've been reducing my collection a little at a time. I have enough to keep me happy. your mileage may vary.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Risch View Post
    I want a large tomb, with all my stuff piled in. Like King Tut.
    rob42049 and Henry88 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    I also have two sons who are into firearms so not to worried about it. I do keep a file card for each one though with the ser no. a brief description and approximate value. Some day the wife will know I wasn't wasting my money on guns.
    Retirednsmilin and marlinluvr like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    My bride hates them and could care less. Has threatened to put 'em out to the curb when I die. (I'll post my address if I know death is imminent) I've been thinning down the herd and am at about a 1/3 of what it once was. at age 65. Major portions of their college tuitions came from pieces that far outpaced to stock market. My kids may want one or two. I've got a few that would retail over a grand, and some as low as a couple of hundred.

AC

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    While binders and such are worthwhile.....

Each gun needs hang tags with specific labels. Brand, year, caliber, special info.

Then:
    Separate stuff into logical groupings. Have an inventory for each pile. These groupings will correspond to the dealer/broker who will deal with it.
    1. Local sale to the gun shop/pawn shop. Non collectible stuff, deer rifles, 22's, modern guns, regular shotguns, and the like
    2. Collectible stuff by brand. Winchester, Browning, Colt, Marlin, etc.
    3. Military Surplus
    4. NFA

Then identify at least TWO good dealers/brokers for each pile. Have their phone numbers and such written down.
    That's the info your spouse/kids need.

Now is also a good time to be honest with yourself. Dad's 1970's Colt 1911, your 1940's Winchester 67 single shot, or your late 60's Remington 722 in 30/30 are not really collectible or worth that much. The local gun/pawn shop is the place for all that stuff.

A local gun shop isn't the place for an 1871 Winchester or a genuine Civil War Colt.... and vice versa Dennis Kroh isn't the guy to send your glenfield 22's and Remington deer rifle.

Next - if anything needs work, repairs, or missing parts - NOW is the time to deal with it.

And last - if you think you need to thin the herd you probably do. Now is the time while you have energy and interest.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    You're gonna be dead. Can't take it with you and you won't know what the final disposition is. Or if anybody gives a rat's ass and follows your directives.

Don't catalog anything anywhere that can be discovered by the wrong folks. How about all the unpapered arms bought before GCA '68? I'm from the other school. Don't say nuthin' to nobody about nuthin'. Let them find it all and admire after you kick off.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    My bride hates them and could care less. Has threatened to put 'em out to the curb when I die. (I'll post my address if I know death is imminent) I've been thinning down the herd and am at about a 1/3 of what it once was. at age 65. Major portions of their college tuitions came from pieces that far outpaced to stock market. My kids may want one or two. I've got a few that would retail over a grand, and some as low as a couple of hundred.

AC
    so where do you live? just joking. its to bad the wife feels the way she does. some yrs ago I arrived at a garage sale. a very old woman had sold all of her husbands guns. (she hated em) for 50 bucks apiece I asked what were they. she said (just old junk) win something. marlin . shotguns with 2 barrels. ww2 german stuff. some guy bought em all. my heart sank!!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Okay i would hate to see your widow get shafted.
    So i will give $50 for the Luger. LOL.
    I am 42 and in a similar type but slightly different situation. No one is responsible enough to keep anything.
    So i have identified two very young cousins my godfathers brothers grandkids.
    They aint 7 yet but have shown more responsibility and respect for items of family than anyone other than the great uncles.
    So they have gotten my first Darton Bow which new replacement cost is about $800 and a Marlin/glenfield M60 with glenny scope.
    Figure the last couple guns will go to them bout the time i kick off.
    Figure if the boy dont get going on interest more than just plinking that little girl will be one armed woman when she turns 18.
    Team 35 # 517
    Team Old Pharts # 224
    Team shotgun # 65
    Team 39 # 348
    Team 32special #139

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I had a very detailed inventory, for the wife, primarily, about 20 years ago. That plan has not been kept up. I try to limit myself to what the safes will hold, but that doesn't always work either.. My wife understands the fact that my hobby involves trading some stuff off for other stuff. She used to get upset when I sold one! Now she has a pretty good idea of the values of most of them. I've got quite a few children and grandchildren who appreciate some of my tools and I hope they have fun figuring out who gets what. In the meantime I will just keep on enjoying my stuff.
    JM "Jenuine Marlin"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links