Spring has Sprung
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Spring has Sprung

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Spring has Sprung

WCCO called the overnight spring which is close. Kind of late this year but now things have to be done. Used up almost all my firewood last winter so that has to be put up. Food plots need planting which means plowing, disking and dragging and general maintenance on equipment so I can do that stuff. Then of course the fishing equipment needs to be got in order. I have a lot more food plot to do this year as no one wants to rent my field yet. The old one was a bit too small anyway as it seemed to get eaten off before season. New one will be planted in hay crops and I have some turnips that need planting. Still not balmy but the work can be done.

Thing about all this is that I have to take things a little slower. I can still cut wood, but I have to start a little at a time now. Sitting on the tractor isn't so bad but the wood is work. Maybe good for me but it does hurt. Seems like I can do more now than when I started. Normal spring rush.

DEP
    Vooch, cajun56, 94win30wcf and 2 others like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I'm chomping at the bit to get out and do what I call " cabin work" (which has nothing to do with working on the cabin).
    Only need about four face cords of firewood each year, so that allows the job to be enjoyable work.
    I took the tractor out for the first time since November two weeks ago, it started right up and ran like a champ!
    Will be replanting a one acre clover plot in late summer.
    I also will be doing a lot of hinge-cutting and TSI work.
    A mix of rain and snow is keeping me in the city this weekend, but nicer weather is coming!

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    miket156, shawlerbrook and northmn like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Oh and I forgot to mention brush hogging and trail maintenance!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    shawlerbrook likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Same here. Trail maintenance, woodcutting, etc., but it is very wet here. Starting next Wednesday will be chasing gobblers so that means very early mornings and a little pm siesta. Tilled the garden last week so that needs attention. Unfortunately we really don’t get spring weather anymore. Right from winter to summer. Predicting an inch of snow tomorrow.
    northmn, Vooch and miket156 like this.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by shawlerbrook View Post
    Same here. Trail maintenance, woodcutting, etc., but it is very wet here. Starting next Wednesday will be chasing gobblers so that means very early mornings and a little pm siesta. Tilled the garden last week so that needs attention. Unfortunately we really don’t get spring weather anymore. Right from winter to summer. Predicting an inch of snow tomorrow.
    Hopefully we sill get missed up North. Most of the snow is predicted for the Southern part of the state. Bad news is that is the prime part of the corn belt, better news is that they tend to get temps about 10-50 degrees high than we get. I can do the tilling but the actual planting is best done closer to the first of June. I can plant early but it does not seem to make much difference. 10 Day forecast does not predict temps reaching 60 degrees. Gets close to freezing at night. Nice to be out anyway.

DEP
    shawlerbrook and Vooch like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Same here Northmn. We can plant some hardier things in May, but Memorial Day is usually the safe frost date.
    Vooch and miket156 like this.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    About the only thing with Memorial day planting is that it can often be pretty wet and then it becomes mid June planting. Still, tomorrow is supposed to only get up to about 38 degrees and anything planted kind of stays in suspension until things heat up enough. Turnips are a good attractant and forage crop but often are best planted late June or so to have any value in the fall. About the only thing that does well for me is clover. Probably will have to plant a clover and grass mix. Now is when we feel like getting out and doing things. Hard to wait. Some theory to plowing early and disking, then letting the weeds grow up a bit and disking again. Don't know if it works as I generally get a good crop of weeds. Thinking the grass in the field may come back and mix with the clover. right now the deer are out on the fields eating but the grasses are not very nutritious and the clover is not up well yet.

DEP
    shawlerbrook and Vooch like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    gonna rain here all week.
    Vooch, shawlerbrook and miket156 like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Its been cold here in North Central PA the last couple of nights. We're going to have rain most of the week too. Its been in the 30's and low 40 degree temps at night. Still running heat. Well, at least we don't have to shovel it.

I only cut the grass once so far this spring, and with rain all week, its going to need to be cut when we get a dry day. Still, it beats being stuck inside during the winter.

Cheers!

Mike T.
    Vooch and shawlerbrook like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Snow and temps in the 30's predicted for the next two days with 10-15 mph wind. I'm a little low on wood, going out at noontime to cut up a big elm log I've been saving. Maybe pop off some .45 Colts. This will be the 31st Toyota load of the never ending Winter '18-'19 in western SoDak. It's 31 right now, heading to a high of 42.
    Vooch, northmn and shawlerbrook like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links