30A 30-30 Restomod...
Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By gunsnyaks
  • 1 Post By cub308

Thread: 30A 30-30 Restomod...

Tinhorn
    North Texas, but hope to move to the Texas gulf coast soon.
    Member #

30A 30-30 Restomod...

The title should read 30-30, not 20-30. I fat fingered the keyboard.

I found this rifle last year in a pawn shop and bought and put it aside. The wood was in bad shape. It looked like someone tried to refinish it at some point and did a really bad job. Looked as though it had been sanded, restained, and topped off with Minwax polyurethane from Home Depot. It was bad and well beyond stripping and linseed oil.

Of course I had the option of ordering new furniture from Boyd's or Numrich's, but wanting to keep costs down, I decided to smooth it out as best as I could, repair the cracks, and do a camo paint job on it. It is rattle can paint. I've only done camo paint on AR handguards and this was the first time I've tried it on a stock and forend. Going forward I plan to use Duracoat if I ever tackle another project like this but I went with the rattle can this time because I didn't know how it would turn out and Duracoat is considerably more expensive.

The metal on this rifle was in decent enough shape. I only had to touch up the bluing in a few places. I did replace the trigger and sear, as well as some of the hardware that had been chewed up from previous disassembly. Other than that, it just needed a good cleaning and as soon as I can get to the range to test it, it's going to my son.

glenfld3.jpgglenfld2.jpgGlenfld1.jpg
    Last edited by Scorpiusb; 02-04-2020 at 06:00 AM. Reason: corrected F.F.S. in title...
    Scorpiusb, cajun56, Vooch and 5 others like this.
    45-70, the original a-salt rifle! (What is a salt rifle anyway?)

"All Scripture is God breathed, and God does not have bad breath!" - W.A. Criswell

Deadeye
    Member #
    I like the model 30A too and yours looks good with camo stocks.
    Your son ought to be happy as a pig in a puddle when he gets his hands on it.
    cajun56 likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I think you did one of the better paint jobs I have seen on some wood stocks. Your son should enjoy it and looking forward to a range report.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    North Texas, but hope to move to the Texas gulf coast soon.
    Member #
    Thanks guys! He's pretty good about the range reports. He took the other 30-30 I gave him, an older 336, to the range a few weeks ago. He was the only one there shooting a lever action. Everyone else was out there with their ARs and he said when he started shooting, everyone stopped to see what was making such a loud BOOM noise! He had a lot of other shooters giving him the thumbs up sign!

I think my boy likes 30-30s!
    45-70, the original a-salt rifle! (What is a salt rifle anyway?)

"All Scripture is God breathed, and God does not have bad breath!" - W.A. Criswell

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Looks great!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links