• 1 Post By GasGuzzler
  • 1 Post By flatnose
  • 1 Post By MrTom

Thread: RANGE REPORT: Marlin Model 25 Bolt Action Rifle .22LR

Tenderfoot
    Member #

RANGE REPORT: Marlin Model 25 Bolt Action Rifle .22LR

Hello Friends…

This is my Range Report on the Marlin 25 bolt action rifle. This Rifle is not made anymore, and from the information that I have in relation to the serial number, I believe this is a 1988 made rifle. It came with a 7 round magazine… which I was able to buy a new original manufacture magazine online (currently on route). There is also parts available for this rifle that I have seen out of the internet, so that is also great.

One thing to note, is I sustained a wrist injury to my wrist tha also affects my fingers. This is a partial permanent disability however I can “still” shoot .22LR but I am still strengthening my wrist.. and also my aim is a bit off still. I am getting there.. and I am getting better in regards to shooting. (Thank You God).

I used to sell rifles way back, many years ago.. and this Model 25 is the SAME rifle.. that I used to sell many years ago.. that I wanted to buy but could not because of all of those restrictions / licensing and the money to do so at that time.. up in the North East.. So this Marlin 25 that I bought a few days ago used, in a private sale down here in the south east… I can transport and fire legally as long as it is in a locked case in the trunk.. just like my hand guns.

And also to note.. it is “HOT” out today.. even in the indoor range (the HVAC was struggling).. so I did not shoot as many rounds as I wanted.. but I was able to shoot the following:

Aguila Super Extra High Velocity rounds with the jacketed/plated round nose

Aguila Standard Velocity Match, lead round nose, they are “not” eley primers like there high velocity, they have on the boxes that they are “Agulia Prime” so their own primers I take it.

Geco Standard Velocity, German import that suppose to cycle well as the lead noses are "smoothed" more during manufacturing. Standard Velocity also.

Federal Target Standard Velocity, lead round nose (the bulk stuff, white box 500 quantity).

No scope, just using the sights on the rifle itself:

The Green Circles are the Aguila Standard Velocity Match, and fired rounds to those areas as intended about 15 yards.

The Blue Circles (and yes I only loaded four in the mag’) was the Federal Target Standard Velocity at 15 yards.

The Red Circle are the Geco Standard Velocity at 15 yards

The Orange Circles are the Aguila Super Extra High Velocity rounds, and fired to those areas intended, but at more than 25 yards.

What everyone has told me about Marlin rifles like this one, is 100% true.. it’s a “tack driver” it’s wicked accurate. I truly believe that! This is the “best” firearm purchase that I have made.. really. If you come across one of these, BUY IT!

Thank You for reading my Range Report.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Glad you got yourself one and that your wrist is healing. I have one of those rifles and they are great shooters.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Glad you are healing up, looks like the federal had the best group.
    MrTom likes this.
    What this country needs is a department of common sense!
    Team 22 Magnum # 46
    Team Old Pharts # 235
    Team 22 bolt action # 5

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Golphin View Post
    Glad you got yourself one and that your wrist is healing. I have one of those rifles and they are great shooters.
    Thanks, it's healed up but I lost flex upwards and downwards, plus I have part nerve damage on the top half of my hand. I am working on strengthening it more. I'm just glad that I can shoot still! That's the main thing :-)

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike 2010 View Post
    Glad you are healing up, looks like the federal had the best group.
    Thanks, at the 15 yards yes out of them all. The Aguila Standard Velocity Match was pretty close as well.

Wrangler
    Member #
    They are great rifles. I shoot CCI standard velocities and quiets (backyard). The quiets don't make much noise at all, like a powerful airgun.
    GasGuzzler and MrTom like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
    They are great rifles. I shoot CCI standard velocities and quiets (backyard). The quiets don't make much noise at all, like a powerful airgun.
    Listen to this wise friend. Most Marlin rimfire bolt guns love CCI-SV. Even my 1988 M60 likes it best.
    MrTom likes this.
    Marlins: 1951 336RC .30-30 - 1951 39A "Peanut" - 1988 Model 60 (22" blued) - 1972 Glenfield Model 75 .22LR
    Bangin' Blackhawks Member #30 Team .22 Mag Member #69 Team 30-30 Member #1328 Team Rossi #77

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Mine loves CCI Mini Mags. Stacks them up at 50 yards. Give them a try.
    MrTom likes this.
    Big, flatnose bullets eliminate tracking.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by flatnose View Post
    Mine loves CCI Mini Mags. Stacks them up at 50 yards. Give them a try.
    Thanks, I'll buy those at some point. I do like using CCI Mini Mags in my .22LR auto's and revolver, when I can find them and have the money to buy a few of those clear boxes. I currently have some of those Aguila Super Extra High Velocity with eley primers. They also are copper jacketed/plated round noses. Very close to the CCI, but cost less. It seems that the Aguila, are most easily found in my area (I am about 2 hours, give or take driving wise, south / south east of your current location). Although sometimes I can find the CCI Mini mags in bulk, I live close by to Palmetto State Armory (PSA), Academy Sports and Sportsman's Warehouse. Sometimes, Palmetto State Armory (PSA) gets in interesting and cheap "bulk" ammo. One thing that I did not try, is I bought a few boxes of Sellier & Bellot .22LR hollow point high velocity rounds. They work in "some" of my auto's, but I bet they would really well in the Marlin 25.
    flatnose likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links