Marlin Model 80 HELP!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Marlin Model 80 HELP!!!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin Model 80 HELP!!!

Hey guys I've been searching the interwebs for information about my Marlin Model 80 with not much luck. It seems everyone has questions and knowledge about model 80e or 80dl or what have you, but none about just a plain model 80.
    What I want to know is which bolt goes on a model 80? I'm missing the bolt for mine and the one I bought off of GunBroker.com was advertised to be for a model 80 and 81 but doesn't seem to fit correctly. with the bolts firing pin cocked back there still isn't enough room to push the bolt flush with the chamber. The grove cut out of the top of the bolt wont go flush with the chamber as well as the ejector latches, the bolt wont turn enough to line up with the chamber.Also I have this piece of metal sticking up in the magazine hole I also wanted to see what y'all thought about that. Is it just to stop the magazine?

photo(2).JPGphoto(3).JPGphoto(4).JPGphoto(5).JPGphoto(2).JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Look here on Ebay. A couple of these are cheap enough to give a try maybe. Check the pictures against what you have. I notice one states it is the OLD style and that may be the answer.

Marlin model 80 bolt | eBay

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    In '52, Marlin changed the extractor from the wire type to the band style. If yours is pre '52, the band style extractors will not fit the narrower extractor grooves in the breach.

This what the old style bolt looks like.

A word to the wise ain't necessary, it is the stupid ones who need advice.

What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt.

Team 60 #172
    Show Me Marlin Owners.
    Team Rossi #12
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #18

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I appreciate the quick response guys. I didn't realize Marlin made so many differing variations on this guns bolt when I bought mine. Well... that was a $60 lesson.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That "piece of metal sticking up in the magazine hole" is the magazine catch.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary, it is the stupid ones who need advice.

What doesn't kill you ... will circle around for a second attempt.

Team 60 #172
    Show Me Marlin Owners.
    Team Rossi #12
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #18

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Good to know. While the gun was in its stock I couldn't tell if it served some other purpose and was bent out of place. I don't want to seem needy, but if anyone reading this post feels they could help me find a old style bolt for sale please link me a site or leave a comment with some ideas where I could look. I've already been on Ebay, GunBroker, GunPartsCorp, all of which are either not showing results or are sold out.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Actually I think I found one off ebay, could someone please confirm or deny that this would be the correct bolt for my gun?
    Marlin 80 81 Old Style Bolt 22 LR Vintage | eBay

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatlin View Post
    Actually I think I found one off ebay, could someone please confirm or deny that this would be the correct bolt for my gun?
    Marlin 80 81 Old Style Bolt 22 LR Vintage | eBay
    That is one ugly bolt! Do not jump at the first bolt you see. There are much better ones that come along regularly. About 15-18 months ago I bought 3 while searching for the correct bolt for my Model 80. All were from Ebay.

There are 4 styles of stryker knobs. I think they may be interchangeable. This bolt is to my 1960 Model 80:
    Bolt Style 3 After 1.JPGBolt Style 3 After 3.JPGBolt Style 3 After 4.JPGStyle 3 Striker Knob 3.JPGStyle 3 Striker Knob 4.JPG
    The Wise man said: "Money talks". Bob Dylan said: "Money don't talk. It swears".

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I went through the same thing trying to find a bolt for my model 80. It's a pre micro grove model and has the two piece extractors. I found a couple, one thatdidn't fit and then one that did. Not sure why the one didn't fit even though it had the two piece extractor. I did notice the internals on the bolt looked different. I sold them both when I found the original bolt in my mom's garage in an old tool box. This is the bolt that fit my rifle. The firing pin and spring assembly on mine look different than BlackBarry's photo. It appears to be a two piece assembly. The bolt you found on Ebay looks like mine. The opening and the slot at the rear also appear similar. mine is the top picture and the one on Ebay is the bottom photo.

BTW When you put the bolt in the rifle make certain the striker is in the cocked position. The bolt will not close if it's in the fired position. You have to pull the striker knob to the rear and twist it into the proper orientation.

Last edited by puma guy; 04-18-2015 at 09:28 PM.
    Golphin and P-bass like this.
    My Faith, My Gun, My Constitution; I cling to all three!
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
    100 Club Life Member
    TexasCHLForum

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I believe that you have mismatched parts in that bolt. The bolt handle is very early. About 1948 or so. I have that sharply bent handle in my 80DL from 47-48. The one piece extractor came many years later. 1954 or so. These rifles can be difficult to date accurately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links