New 60 or not
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: New 60 or not

Tenderfoot
    Member #

New 60 or not

I want to buy a 60 or 10 22 I heard the marlin is a bit more accurate out of the box I own a few marlin bolt rifles and they r straight shooters Im concerned with the quality of a new 60 any help would b appreciated

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Not sure about your area, but older Marlin Model 60's are plentiful around here. Since they are so readily available, I don't see why anyone would mess with the new ones. One other thought, with the Supreme Court allowing the lawsuits against Remington (Marlin parent company) to go forward, win or lose, Remington is going to spending big bucks for lawyers. That money has to come from somewhere, so I am sure cuts will be made in the manufacturing and customer service departments. How deep or how bad, no one knows. New Marlin has improved, but I fear this may be a setback, and it's not a risk I would take at this point.
    drinva and TaTanka like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I prefer the older Marlins. 1960's and early 1970's. I'm a walnut wood and blued guy. 99C, 99M1 and 989M2 are my choice. For about the same price, I'd take the older Marlin every time.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hey Blazer - Just wanted to chip in here. I had a 60 back in the early 70s - ?birch? stock with pressed checkering. About $30 at K-mart. I sold that some time later and recently got a 'new' one - 2014 from Mayfield KY. Laminate stock and Last Shot Hold Open. If you buy an older 60, be sure you have that option - it saves firing pin/chamber rim abuse I believe that was added around 1985 or so. The forum has the year if you want to know, but its obvious when you look at a candidate. Another option is to get a 795, the drop-magazine fed model. Same action otherwise, but mostly only seen in synthetic stocks. Either one is WAYYY better than a 10/22, more accurate by far. I also have a Savage 64 and thats more accurate than the 10/22 and the Savage is only a $100 gun!!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I kinda lean to the older Marlins as well. That said, if I were to buy NEW today, it would likely be a Savage, great accuracy from mine. If money were no object, I might look at a CZ.
    Team 60 #324, Team .22 Magnum #114, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102, Team Wheelguns #54, Team 700 #5, Team Semi-Auto #41, Team Henry #106

"Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's the living that's hard" Ten Bears

Wrangler
    Member #
    I’ll tell you my experience. Before I got full blown marlinitis I wanted a 10-22. Bought a ss/syn new 10/22 3 years ago. Out of the box shot fair, just fair. About 1.5-2” at 50yds. I can beat that with my MkII pistol. Lots of flex in the stock, and the supposedly reliable rotary mag jammed from dirt after 300rds, apparently they need taken apart and cleaned. Found out to get good, much less great accuracy id need a new trigger, barrel and stock. Screw that, sold it.
    Found a nib 1994 60w at a gunshow for $120otd. Shoots 5/8-1” groups, and is totally reliable. Since then have bought several, the 60w still is my best shooter. Forget 10/22 unless you want to dump money into for fun.
    Marlin 60=good accuracy out of the box for less$$
    10/22= not as good accuracy without putting money into a already more expensive rifle.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks guys i know your right just wanna b reassured. The 10 22 is prob a decent semi 22. But i want a little better accuracy so i will go with a new 60ss and take my chance with quality. Its not gonna cost me 500 dollars

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    @ Blazer

The '20 shot show is coming up in a couple months and new guns are going to be released. It's going to be the 60th anniversary of theModel 60, and from what I've read New Jersey supposedly no longer has the 15 shot limit for tube fed .22 rimfires. If Marlin sort of follows suite on the reportedly good selling 50th ann model there's a chance we might get a walnut stocked eighteen-nineteen round 60th ann. Model 60. I might be way off on what they'll release but it might be worth it to wait just a bit.

A used JM barrel stamped Model 60 is your best bet though if you don't have to have new. Every one of those older guns I've had or shot was a tackdriver at squirrel hunting distances.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have it both ways, from a pile of old JM and Glenfield models and a brand new one. they're all sweet. and I enjoy them all equally.

The new one, (201 is great. I inspected 3 at the store and they were all very tight and straight. grabbed the one I liked the best.

I will tell ya to still INSPECT every one. I have seen a few new Remington models that were wonky and I wouldn't touch.
    slanted sights, HEAVY, gritty triggers, sharp edges, poor wood fit etc. Be aware there are some funky ones out there.

There are really good new ones out there. I just would NEVER buy one sight unseen. but it shouldn't be hard to find a good one rather easily.
    drinva likes this.
    Team 60 #186
    Team 30-30 #987
    Team Semi-Auto #34
    Team 45/70 #1801
    Team Wheel Guns #100

Deadeye
    Member #
    Not as many after market parts for a Marlin 60 mostly because they don't need them.
    There are two Squirrel 60's a Glenfield and an HG Higgins at my LGS at a little more than half the price of a new 60.
    F150Grrl likes this.
    Tim​

"There Are More Things in Heaven and Earth, Than Are Dreamt Of In Your Philosophy."
    Power to the proper people at 600 yards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links