• 1 Post By gunscrewguy
  • 1 Post By peteyboy
  • 2 Post By TackDriver
  • 1 Post By TackDriver

Thread: Glenfield Model 60 Loose Inner Mag Tube

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Glenfield Model 60 Loose Inner Mag Tube

Rifle is a 1971 Glenfield Model 60, 18 shot. The inner magazine tube doesn't lock tightly into the outer magazine tube any longer. It's loose enough that when pointing the rifle down, the inner tube may slide out.

I seem to recall reading about this as a common issue for this rifle but can't find any info now. The problem seems to be caused by the inner tube guide pin wearing and the outer tube locking slot also wearing which causes the problem. The outer tube slot still is "L" shaped, the inner guide pin seems worn down by use.

I have the removed outer tube and am trying to figure out a way to remedy the situation without purchasing a new inner and/or outer tubes.

Any threads out there you can point me to or suggestions on how to fix?

Also, in reading many of the threads here I often see issues on failure to feed on a Marlin 60. I had experienced this problem and it was caused by dry firing. The hammer spring was strong enough to cause a burr to to pop up on the chamber face because of firing pin impacts, repeated dry firing made the problem worse. Had a gunsmith "iron" the chamber with a peening tool and problem was resolved. I updated the hammer spring with a trigger kit available on the web. The Trigger pull went from 6 to roughly 3 lbs.. .. and no more issues with failure to feed. Also, I have not updated this rifle with a feed throat conversion kit, so it still has the riveted style feed throat.

Thanks for any assistance on the magazine tube.
    Scorpiusb and gunscrewguy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Try pushing the locking pin out a bit. If that works then stake the pin tight.

AC
    TackDriver likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I can try that although the locking pin seems lightly seated now, meaning not too much pin left to punch out and make the head of the pin taller off the inner tube.
    Trying to figure out the process by which the inner tube is actually locked into the outer tube. Is the head of the locking pin friction fitted to the inside of the outer tube, or maybe the locking pin is friction fitted to the L channel in the outer tube. Never thought to look at it when it was working, so I don’t know how it should be.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    In the past I have very slightly bent the brass inner magazine tube to create the slightest snug fit. I hasn't hurt the feeding of ammo. You can also put very thin tape just inside of the pin. Scotch or blue painters tape might work.
    TackDriver likes this.
    Illegitimi non carborundum

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    This worked, thank you! may eventually have to get a new inner mag because locking pin head has worn down quite a bit. To bad you can't just buy a new pin...
    Thanks again for the recommendation.
    Scorpiusb and cajun56 like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    to be clear I tried the advice from Gunscrewguy and drove the pin out a little bit. It fit much more tightly into the outer tube channel. Didn't stake it as I could figure out how to stake it so the pin wouldn't move. Thanks again.
    cajun56 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links