Model 60 gritty bolt?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bendy_irl
  • 1 Post By North Idaho Shooter

Thread: Model 60 gritty bolt?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Model 60 gritty bolt?

So I recently bought a model 60W for a steal at $120 I went shooting yesterday the gun worked fine the ammo didn’t though and then earlier today I way just kinda “playing” around with it and I was just pulling the bolt back and releasing it and then it started to feel really gritty I took it apart and isolated it to the bolt and spring and receiver and it still was gritty I took out the bolt wiped it down wiped down the receiver and still it’s gritty anyone know the problem (it’s a bit dirty and I do need to clean it but it’s not that bad I don’t think) thank you

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Possibly a more thorough cleaning--usng something like Gun Scrubber and a toothbrush to clean away built up and hardened residue on the bolt, and inside the receiver. You may need to let it soak for awhile to get everything loosened up. Also, don't forget the spring and guide rod. Good Luck!
    fossil likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hi - I bought a NIB 2014 Mayfield rifle in July and found the inside of the receiver had paint overspray. That could be part of your issue. Also you may want to spray all the action with brake-kleen then re-lube all. Also, the inside of receiver and bolt faces needed to be polished. I used 800g wet/dry paper and wrapped it on a dowel for inside the rec. Tried to get a smooth finish on both areas. I also re-worked the trigger assy, polishing everything and followed Arrowdodger's tips on action works. I also cut 1/2 coil off the Hammer spring, and replaced the trigger return with a floppy spring. And bent the sear spring to simulate the angle of A-Ds spring re-positioning hole. Trigger is now about 3#.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Don't get brake cleaner on the plastic buffer block. It tends to harden it, thus causing it to break.
    Team 60 #492
    Team 35rem #786

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    wash out receiver and parts with mineral spirits and brush. blow dry with compressed air.
    wipe down with gun oil, then wipe with clean dry cloth. if cloth has grit and dirt on it, repeat process
    reassemble

Deadeye
    Member #
    And easy on the lube when assembling, just makes more mud and gums up quicker.
    Team 336 #369
    Team 444 #511
    Team 450 #59
    Team 45-70 #425
    Team 1894 # 120
    Team 60 #454

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links