Buffer Question
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By peteyboy
  • 1 Post By Scorpiusb

Thread: Buffer Question

Sidewinder
    Member #

Buffer Question

I would like to have a few buffers on hand for my older, pre 1970, 99's. I see several different colored buffers for sale on ebay.
    Is there a particular one for older 60's and 99's?
    Anyone have a recommendation where to get the correct buffer at a descent price?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    Scorpiusb likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    The color is pretty much what color the manufacturer decides to make it... I usually get mine from Numrich... The new buffers have a slightly larger hole and will wiggle a little bit, but functions just fine....
    peteyboy likes this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Don't forget the paper clip when you take the actions apart.
    I prefer the white buffers to keep the gun original.
    Team 60 #492
    Team 35rem #786

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Just bought a couple from MidwayUSA for $9.99 each. They were cheaper than from Numrich. The appear white and are Marlin OEM.
    Yeah, I have to do my homework and watch Arrowdodgers videos on the buffer replacement. I'm hoping this will eliminate the stovepiping or FTE of ever third or fourth round. Thanks for the input guys!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I bought my last batch from Midway also, they were running a sale or a discount for my Bday, think they were about $7 each. I should have bought a couple more. Haven't installed them yet.
    Love me some 45-70's
    Can't get enough 22 Mags

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hey Peteyboy - Are you firing HV or SV ? I get a few (once every few - 2 of 8 - fills - NOT 2-3 per mag) stovepipe ejection issues with HV like 36g Fed and 36g CCI. Maybe the bolt is just cycling too fast for the round? Bad news if the bunnies are attacking !! Also it's not a bad idea to have one or two spares I fire CCI-MM, SV , Fed 36g, Fed40g, S&B, Fed Gold, etc and the SV give me some FT E due to low power, but NOT stovepipes. Maybe you would do better with 40g HV but NOT CCI ?
    I have done all the Arrowdodger mods, but have only taken 1/2 coil off the Hammer Spring. Maybe if I had 1-coil off it would be worse for stovepipes??
    BTW - I found you save another 1/4>1/2# if you take out the Safety spring - the action has enough 'other' spring' to return the trigger OK. Removing or replacing springs is good practice, as lon as you keep the 'bump factor' under control.
    Last edited by Fasteddie01; 09-07-2019 at 01:08 AM. Reason: add info

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
    Hey Peteyboy - Are you firing HV or SV ? I get a few (once every few - 2 of 8 - fills - NOT 2-3 per mag) stovepipe ejection issues with HV like 36g Fed and 36g CCI. Maybe the bolt is just cycling too fast for the round? Bad news if the bunnies are attacking !! Also it's not a bad idea to have one or two spares I fire CCI-MM, SV , Fed 36g, Fed40g, S&B, Fed Gold, etc and the SV give me some FT E due to low power, but NOT stovepipes. Maybe you would do better with 40g HV but NOT CCI ?
    I have done all the Arrowdodger mods, but have only taken 1/2 coil off the Hammer Spring. Maybe if I had 1-coil off it would be worse for stovepipes??
    BTW - I found you save another 1/4>1/2# if you take out the Safety spring - the action has enough 'other' spring' to return the trigger OK. Removing or replacing springs is good practice, as lon as you keep the 'bump factor' under control.
    I was shooting the golden bullet. I personally think that was the problem, however with a new buffer and spring on the way, hopefully, along with CCI sv my 1970 99C will function as new!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links