• 2 Post By Rollis
  • 2 Post By cthulhufan
  • 2 Post By Win_94
  • 2 Post By cthulhufan

Thread: Your Setup, and Method

Tinhorn
    Member #

Your Setup, and Method

When I have my load, scope, and rifle set up the way I, want it I try to do most of my shooting from practical positions. Fortunately most the time it will be with a bipod, and mat, and yes I have humped this setup into the woods. Though not very far.

I will post pictures of my current set-up when I have better service.

So what about the rest of you guys?
    mearl and cthulhufan like this.
    Oh no another fat guy with a gun!

Banned
    Member #
    I practice all field positions, I use a log or my shooting vest instead of a tripod, no mat; and shoot every day no matter the weather.
    I usually shoot groups for testing off a log at 250 yards. Here is today's shot, the last of which, to find when my bore is fouled enough to group tightly, with this load.

If I shoot off the log, I'll use a sand bag in front, a beanbag in the rear. If off the vest I'll use only the beanbag.

My vest has everything I might need for regular maintenance with any of my firearms; as well as assorted camping essentials.

It is a load bearing vest as issued to Ohio National Guard personnel, with a few additions and modifications.

If I use the AK, (unless I am testing for precision,) I'll have all my gear on, get into the prone position as fast as I can, (with out any rest,) and take the shot as quick as I can accurately... unless of course I take the shot in another position, but I'll still shoot as quick as I can be accurate.
    Rollis and cthulhufan like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    It looks like we both come from the same type of area in Ohio.

I try to keep my bore as dirty as possible. Most of my shooting is done in long strings, so keeping the bore clean will be a waste of time. I try to keep it in the sweat spot as long as possible.

That is a nice setup you are using.
    Win_94 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Here are a few pictures of two of my 700's. the black stocked .223 is no longer in the horde, the .308 was originally stocked with the brown laminate, now it has the green adjustable laminate stock and is a range queen, though my bag is setup to go into the field at a moment's notice.
    cthulhufan and Win_94 like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    When I am sighting, and testing loads I use a Caldwell Rifle Rest, and sand bags. I also use a ProChrono chronograph for velocity readings.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I spend too much time on the bench and not enough using field positions. You guys are reminding me that I need to break out my mat. I am especially weak with the sitting position and really need to practice more. Even when practicing, I really tend to gravitate to prone and promise myself I'll work on sitting "next time". Just low confidence or something. I have no trouble standing/hasty or prone with a strap or rest but I'm just really really lousy sitting. I even got a set of Wind's Okanogen sticks to help and haven't used them
    Win_94 and Rollis like this.
    #533 Team 30-30
    #124 Team 450
    #50 Team Mosin Nagant
    #100 Team Bolt Action Rimfire
    #104 Team Henry
    Bolts, levers, 30 cal and now flying cinder blocks too, woohoo!

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollis View Post
    It looks like we both come from the same type of area in Ohio.

I try to keep my bore as dirty as possible. Most of my shooting is done in long strings, so keeping the bore clean will be a waste of time. I try to keep it in the sweat spot as long as possible.

That is a nice setup you are using.
    I usually keep my bores fouled also. I hadn't cleaned the Howa's bore for a year or so prior to cleaning it last week... and I only cleaned it because I suspected imprecision. But it turned out not to be because of the bore's fouling. Actually, I've suspected imprecision due to a fouled bore a few times and it had never been the case.

I only cleaned it a week ago to witness the clean bore characteristics. Sometimes I will find corrosion in my bore and don't like the thought of sending a bullet down it grinding that stuff into the bore. So there are times when I need to know the clean bore characteristics, with all my loads, in all my rifles.

Most of my rifles have had dirty bores for over a year, working on 2, with hundreds of shots through them.

Thank you! I like your rifles too! That green stock is very cool!
    cthulhufan and Rollis like this.

Banned
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cthulhufan View Post
    I spend too much time on the bench and not enough using field positions. You guys are reminding me that I need to break out my mat. I am especially weak with the sitting position and really need to practice more. Even when practicing, I really tend to gravitate to prone and promise myself I'll work on sitting "next time". Just low confidence or something. I have no trouble standing/hasty or prone with a strap or rest but I'm just really really lousy sitting. I even got a set of Wind's Okanogen sticks to help and haven't used them
    I made a set of sticks like those, I don't practice half as much with them as I should. I might use them tomorrow.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Win_94 View Post
    I made a set of sticks like those, I don't practice half as much with them as I should. I might use them tomorrow.
    Yeah, I think I will do the same this weekend. I've been meaning to run some AQT/Appleseed drills anyway so cheating with the sticks for the sitting portion sounds like just the ticket.

Interesting to read about the fouled bores. I took some advice on Rimfire Central a few years ago and pretty much only clean my 22 bore when absolutely necessary and even then I just use a snake or patch worm. Really just cleaning the chamber to remove excess lube and of course the bolt is all I do and she just keeps shooting and shooting. So hearing it's a thing with centerfire is interesting and I'm going to try this out. I assume it's the same; don't clean unless you notice a drop off in accuracy or, like you said, there is some corrosion.
    Win_94 and Rollis like this.
    #533 Team 30-30
    #124 Team 450
    #50 Team Mosin Nagant
    #100 Team Bolt Action Rimfire
    #104 Team Henry
    Bolts, levers, 30 cal and now flying cinder blocks too, woohoo!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links