To replace an assault rifle with a lever….
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: To replace an assault rifle with a lever….

Sidewinder
    Member #

To replace an assault rifle with a lever….

An argument can be made quickly that the right lever gun can keep up with a modern assault rifle…. I have both and think it is a very interesting comparison. I know this group might swing to the lever side.

Power- I would say equal because they both can be cambered in light to heavy rounds.

Size/ Weight- I would give the nod to the lever

Action- I am a manual guy, giving nod to lever

Rate of Fire- would say that the cowboy action shooters could keep up with semi auto, but I could not so I give it to the assault

Rate to reload- having loaded clips on hand would give assaults the nod, but without pre loaded clips I would say a tie.

Price- lever

I also think having a pistol and a lever in the same caliber is a big plus for the levers. And personally I would be able to use a lever for much more chores than just a SHTF gun like the assault rifles.

I am playing with the idea of selling my stock in assault rifles and investing in levers…. What do you guys think?

Wrangler
    Member #
    While the lever gun is more than capable of self defense, it is no substitute for a semi auto. I'm sure there are a few cowboys that can dump an entire tube in the blink of an eye, but for most, a semi will be much faster.
    John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

IDPA Member
    Former 308MX Owner
    TEAM .35 Rem member #373
    TEAM 981T member #1

Member #
    +1 what papa_bear said.

I love my lever guns, but they'd be a very poor substitute for my loaded up M4 in a combat situation. When the SHTF, you will want to have every advantage available at your disposal to neutralize the threat. It just is what it is...

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have to give it to the black gun if all things are equal, unless you only had 1 mag than I would want the lever gun!!!
    Ray

...................The Right to Keep and Bear Arms!!!................ Molon Labe........Shall NOT BE Infringed!

Ruger Super Blackhawk & Blackhawk Owners Join Here!
    Bangin Blackhawks

New York Members Join Here!
    [B][COLOR=#ff6600]New York Levergunners

Member #
    That's why they make stripper clips and speed loaders. I can re-load an empty 30 round AR Mag and be returning fire quite a bit faster than I can re-load 6 rounds in my lever guns tube.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    No speed loaders just a gun with 1 mag or a lever gun!
    I will take the lever gun, and the Stripper! After that you guys can fight the battle, I can be doin the Lovin!!!
    Ray

...................The Right to Keep and Bear Arms!!!................ Molon Labe........Shall NOT BE Infringed!

Ruger Super Blackhawk & Blackhawk Owners Join Here!
    Bangin Blackhawks

New York Members Join Here!
    [B][COLOR=#ff6600]New York Levergunners

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It is the original assault rifle.
    Member #25324
    * Team 45/70 #530 * Team 30-30 #510 * Team 60 #77
    * Georgia Marlin Owners Group Member #1 * Guide Gun & Outfitter Owners Association Member #14
    * Marlin League Member #102 * Bangin Blackhawks Member #6
    * The 2nd. is the reason why we still have all of the amendments!
    * Uva Uvam Videndo Varia Fit
    * Non Timebo Mala
    * 1895G (NY) * 336C(CT) * 336W(NY) * 336Y(NY) * 60(CT) * 336W(CT)
    * Marlins, 1911s, Blackhawks!!

Member #
    Red Head, Brunette, or Blonde?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    rifles of equal power calibers, there will not be a lot of difference in rate of fire, with assault rifle having a slight edge. (proved at our club in competition). The real edge comes with mag changes which is an advantage of assault rifles and should not be dis-allowed just to try and make the comparison more equal

I do however, firmly believe that rate-of-fire is no substitute for marksmanship.

Having military experience but no combat experience I will defer to those that do.
    Bob

Team 45-70 #635
    Team 44-40 #10

Team 1894 #219
    Team 39 #220
    Team 38-55 #33
    Team 30-30 #704

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Keep one or two of the autoloaders, the best ones, the ones you're most comfortable with, the ones that are reliable (I'm guessing you don't actually own any assault rifles...assault rifles by definition being full auto, the liberals try to redefine the term but they are basically liars when they do that). Dump the rest.

Having a good battle rifle isn't only about being able to spray lead the fastest. Sometimes you want to be able to make accurate hits quickly and efficiently. What being able to have lots of ammo onboard (in a 20 or 30 round magazine) does is reduce weapon manipulations, which decreases distractions and allows you to devote more mental energy to staying alive in a defensive situation. The autoloading additionally reduces your thought in firing your weapon to only pulling the trigger. That extra mental energy is what may give you the edge to come out on top.

Always a good idea to have two of each for guns that you might want to rely on in a situation where you might be away from civilization for a while. The second is basically a full set of spare parts. Like the SEALS say: one is none, two is one.

You don't need a lot of levers, either. A .30-30 or two and a .35, .444, or .45-70 is good enough for most people's needs. Maybe a .338ME or .308ME if you're in a place where you need to be able to make longer shots (much over 200 yards). Maybe toss in an 1894 for good measure, particularly if you hunt in a lot of brush.
    "If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Team .45-70 #191
    Team .35 Rem #468
    Team .30-30 #75
    Team Mosin-Nagant #51

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links