Foregrips on a lever
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Foregrips on a lever

Tinhorn
    Member #

Foregrips on a lever

With more and more of the MI M-Lok rails showing up on Marlins, we're seeing more variety in attachments, too. The obvious ones are weapon lights. Less common (so far) are foregrips. I've seen a few, straight and angled, but not many. This one really looks like it helps with control while actuating the lever:

So, who's tried one? What kind? How'd you like it?
    Team 1894 - #592

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpNY View Post
    With more and more of the MI M-Lok rails showing up on Marlins, we're seeing more variety in attachments, too. The obvious ones are weapon lights. Less common (so far) are foregrips. I've seen a few, straight and angled, but not many. This one really looks like it helps with control while actuating the lever:

So, who's tried one? What kind? How'd you like it?
    I use hand stops rather a vertical grip. I get more of a natural grip than with a vertical grip.

CarpNY, mikom and DeoVindice like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma05 View Post
    I use hand stops rather a vertical grip. I get more of a natural grip than with a vertical grip.

Interesting. I have that same Magpul handstop kit, but I tried it with the large piece back on the second (from the rear) M-lok slot with the back of my hand against it. That felt the most natural in terms of how far out it sits, but the ergonomics weren't particularly comfortable there. How do you hold it with it out so far? I've never been able to get used to the straight-arm, choke-the-chicken grip on an AR. Add to that the length of a traditional stock and it seems way too far out for me.

Side note: Did you Cerakote your MI rail? It looks gray (possibly more than one) to match the stock.
    Ojaileveraction likes this.
    Team 1894 - #592

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Interesting. I have that same Magpul handstop kit, but I tried it with the large piece back on the second (from the rear) M-lok slot with the back of my hand against it. That felt the most natural in terms of how far out it sits, but the ergonomics weren't particularly comfortable there. How do you hold it with it out so far? I've never been able to get used to the straight-arm, choke-the-chicken grip on an AR. Add to that the length of a traditional stock and it seems way too far out for me.

Side note: Did you Cerakote your MI rail? It looks gray (possibly more than one) to match the stock.
    I "brushed" some grey cerakote on the handguard to make it look similar to the wood grain on the stock. It actually came out better than I expected because I'm not a painter.

I have no problem reaching that hand stop that far forward. You obviously have to set it up to your size. What I do when I get into more improvised shooting positions, is move my hand back and put the hand stop between my fingers. That allows me to move my hand back more as needed.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Being a traditionalist when it comes to Marlins, all I can do when I see these beautiful rifles trying to be more than what they were meant to be, is to shake my head.
    I am not bashing personal choices, I support everyone's choice of personalizing their firearms, I just don't see the reasoning..I guess.
    Andrew
    mikom and maki00 like this.
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma05 View Post
    I "brushed" some grey cerakote on the handguard to make it look similar to the wood grain on the stock. It actually came out better than I expected because I'm not a painter.
    From what I can see, it turned out well.

I have no problem reaching that hand stop that far forward. You obviously have to set it up to your size. What I do when I get into more improvised shooting positions, is move my hand back and put the hand stop between my fingers. That allows me to move my hand back more as needed.
    I'm 6'2" with reasonably long arms, so it's not a matter of reaching out that far. I've just never found it comfortable to keep it out that far. Having the hand stop on the first (rear-most) M-Lok slot was definitely too short and on the third felt too far out. The second seems about right, but the hand stop doesn't feel comfortable on the hand in that location. The curve is too extreme in that position. I could see it feeling better further out.

I'm thinking of a hybrid grip with the bottom two finger on the grip and the other two on the rail:

maxresdefault.jpg

Though, I wouldn't c-clamp it, since that would put my thumb on the barrel. I'd go with the thumb on the rail, parallel to the bore, along that top 45.
    Last edited by CarpNY; 08-07-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    Team 1894 - #592

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by alawrence View Post
    Being a traditionalist when it comes to Marlins, all I can do when I see these beautiful rifles trying to be more than what they were meant to be, is to shake my head.
    I am not bashing personal choices, I support everyone's choice of personalizing their firearms, I just don't see the reasoning..I guess.
    Andrew
    I love traditional ones, too. I'm doing this for two reasons:

1) I find it fun see what I can do. I rarely like to have anything "factory" like everyone else.
    2) I live in NY, so eventually the competition with California, etc., will reach the point where this will be useful.

Besides, if the additional features are functionally beneficial, then why not try them? How I'm implementing them is different than on an AR. There are certain setups that I won't consider because they don't seem right. But at the same time, I don't want to dismiss options without giving them their due consideration.
    alawrence likes this.
    Team 1894 - #592

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    From what I can see, it turned out well.

I'm 6'2" with reasonably long arms, so it's not a matter of reaching out that far. I've just never found it comfortable to keep it out that far. Having the hand stop on the first (rear-most) M-Lok slot was definitely to short and on the third felt to far out. The second seems about right, but the hand stop doesn't feel comfortable on the hand in that location. The curve is too extreme in that position. I could see it feeling better further out.

I'm thinking of a hybrid grip with the bottom two finger on the grip and the other two on the rail:

maxresdefault.jpg

Though, I wouldn't c-clamp it, since that would put my thumb on the barrel. I'd go with the thumb on the rail, parallel to the bore, along that top 45.
    I put my thumb on the light so I do t touch the barrel. Especially when it gets hot from running drills.

Close up pic of hand guard after paint job.

CarpNY likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    To each his own. But to me, about as useful as teats on a boar hog...
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

GFK
    Deadeye
    Member #
    Okay. Well, it is different. I guess that is how the motorcycle, vehicle and airplane came to be.
    "One man's rights end where another man's rights begin." Dad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links