lever action speed loader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: lever action speed loader

Tinhorn
    Member #

lever action speed loader

Went to a gun show at Bisley today and saw some strange tube devices, spoke to the stall holder and he said they were lever action speed loaders and had a video showing them in use. Never seen anything like it before, you load up the tube and carry it in a holster then when you need to reload you line up the end fitting over the loading gate and just slid the handle forward which empties the tube into the mag. Might be the answer to how to carry spare rounds. Have not checked out his web site yet but here it is: neiljonesshooting.co.uk .

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    So, you went. I thought about it, but chose to go shooting locally. Those speed loaders, I have seen them but dont see the need. You tend to top up a tube magazine as you go, rather than empty it and then reload. Also, they look a bit fiddly.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Was it something like this....

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dHG0FwCgJhtezH

I don't have a need for it either. I'm fine with loading my rifle one at a time by hand.
    redhawk0 and gunscrewguy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Guess there is nothing new under the sun? Reminds me of the magazine tubes issued with the Spencer carbines and rifles in the US Civil War:

The Spencer "used copper rimfire cartridges, based on the 1854 Smith & Wesson patent, stored in a seven-round tube magazine. A spring in the tube enabled the rounds to be fired one after another. When empty, the spring had to be released and removed before dropping in fresh cartridges, then replaced before resuming firing. Rounds could be loaded individually or from a device called the Blakeslee Cartridge Box, which contained up to thirteen (also six and ten) tubes with seven cartridges each, which could be emptied into the magazine tube in the buttstock."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spencer_repeating_rifle

Blakeslee Cartridge Box: Blakeslee cartridge box

Photos of the Blakeslee: https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...Box&fr=yfp-t-s
    In real life may you be the bad ass you claim to be on social media....

Tinhorn
    Member #
    similar to the tube and dowel but more elegant. Also it can be used holding the rifle against your body not laying on the bench. they are shown on his website.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I think I seen Jerry M using something similar reloading a shotgun.
    gunscrewguy and flatsneck like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sounds like assault Marlins have reached the British Isles.

AC
    tranteruk likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I believe that InRangeTV (with Ian "Gun Jesus" McCollum from Forgotten Weapons) had one episode on Spencers, in which they tried reproduction Blakeslee speedloaders. They found that they were easily bent/dented such that they could only hold a couple of rounds. However, that does not mean that an old idea cannot be improved with new technology to the point where it actually works.

I had previously saved this speedloader (looks to be the NJ one or similar) as I liked the execution. A few design aspects suggest that they might work better than the Blakeslee and the cowboy ones as 'tactical' speed loaders. First, the stronger wall material would resist denting. Second, the handle/pusher being connected through a slot means that it starts at one end when fully loaded and pushes to the other, unlike the cowboy long dowel one. It's also one piece, unlike the cowboy one. Third, the machined loading tip could be optimized for better feeding.

I certainly would like to try one. Having a couple of these for complete reloads, in addition to some individual rounds for topping off, would give some really nice reloading options while keeping rounds from flying out accidentally (depending on how it is constructed.)

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I wouldn't say they have no role, but limited, especially anything practical. Just imagine trying to use one in the heat of a firefight? Well, it is a 'speedloader'. While not as fast or practical as changeable box magazines I believe the tube mag, loaded one at a time whether shotgun or rifle is pretty effective.

A lever gun with a pocket of loose rounds has pros. You can top up the magazine anytime, even if you fire twice, and have cover you can top up. If you fumble (We all do sometimes) you loose one cartridge, not a box of 30 or tube of ten. Outside of range competition I just dont see the application. Levers are pretty fast to load, with practice. You can even take a shot when half done if the mad axe murderer in your kitchen decides to come up the stairs.
    -69.55 likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I would say that its usefulness depends a lot on how well it actually works (I know, duh!) What I mean is that if you can grab it, quickly/easily/effortlessly align the tip (a big if), push, drop and go in a few seconds (a theoretical min time for a perfectly and easily functioning device), then it would be in detachable magazine territory. That would have a lot of value. If, instead, it has to be very carefully (and, thus, slowly) aligned to actually be able to load the rifle and pushed calmly/smoothy to avoid jamming up, resulting in a lot more time to use, then it would value have little value.

In my mind, I could envision one smooth motion moving the tip to the rifle and then pushing in the rounds, where your hand doesn't stop moving. The reality may be far from that, but if not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links