Sling studs! /attachment points
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Prophet

Thread: Sling studs! /attachment points

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Sling studs! /attachment points

Figured this would be a good place to ask this question as I'm not looking to put a "traditional" rifle sling on my rifle. I've tried multiple and don't like any of them, personal preference.

I want to carry my 1895 as one would an AR-15 rifle with a tactical 2-point sling. I like my rifle to be up in front of me, at the ready, rather than on my back when carrying it, even for long periods of time. The problem is I have the traditional studs on the bottom of the stock and hand guard cap and want to mount the sling to the left side of my rifle so it doesn't have a tendency to hang upside-down in front of me.

So my question is this; without buggering up the wood by putting screws etc. into the stocks, what's the best way to go about doing this?

I like this strap idea for the buttstock (attached image) and think it would work quite well, but having more than one D-ring attachment point would be nice, such as on the side and pointing rearward. I have access to an industrial sewing machine so I could add an extra ring or two myself. That leaves me to the hand guard end of the rifle. Something like the attached would work great, I could find a rail mount sling adapter and attach it that way but this is rather far forward on the rifle and want something that's closer to the position of the factory stud. Heck, if the stud were rotated and located at the 6 o'clock position where the cap screw is currently located it would work perfectly!

Any suggestions at all would be helpful... Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scorpiusb and Vooch like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Welcome to MO from Midcoast Maine! I tend to carry lever guns over my back or with my hand around the receiver so I can't help you there. I am sure some here will have some good suggestions for you.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thank you for the welcome I haven't been out your way yet in my travels, closest I've been is MA/RI/CT but hoping to make it as far up as Acadia/Bar Harbor at some point. And yes, I've been lurking this forum for years now but only just now posting. I'm hoping someone will be able to point me in the right direction.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I figured something out for the stock end but am still having some difficulty figuring out the handguard end of the rifle. I've already located the sling I want as well but just need a way to attach it to the front left-hand side of the rifle. I found a picture of what looks like exactly what I need but can't seem to find it with only the harness/adapter part and not the rest of the sling. Looks like it's common on M1A and M16 handguards (see attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Deadeye
    Member #
    welcome to the forum from Kansas.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have those on a couple of ARs. The problem you may have is the nylon laying directly on the bare barrel. Shooting rapid fire could melt the sling in short order.
    You could just get an aftermarket sling swivel and mount it on your rifle and use whatever attachment works for you; clip, HK style QD sling etc.
    Another option is mount a pictanney <sp> rail on the bottom of the forearm then use a rail-mounted sling mount.
    Or even replace the forearm with a tactical forearm ( one example https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com...p/mi-marmr.htm )and mount items same as AR.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links