Suppressing a lever action .30-30...any tips?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Suppressing a lever action .30-30...any tips?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Suppressing a lever action .30-30...any tips?

I've been trying to find a deal on a .30-30 lever action with a short mag tube for a couple of years. I wanted one to suppress but I didn't want to mess with shortening the mag tube. I finally snagged one for $350 yesterday, a Marlin 30TK. Apparently it was a version of their Texas carbine made for Kmart in 1989-1990. I feel a little bad about messing with it since it's in really good shape and they seem to be a bit of a collector's item but I'm not going to sell it anyway.

My plan is to have it threaded and mount a Silencerco Trifecta flash hider for my Saker 762 MAAD mount. I know other people have suppressed .30-30s so I'm wondering if there are any tips or things to consider. For instance, the barrel is 18-1/2". Should I consider having it cut shorter (I don't want it short enough to SBR though) before threading? I don't know anything about the ballistics of the round and if losing a few inches would greatly affect its performance.

Any shared experience would be appreciated.

For some reason this photo will not post within the thread but here is a link to one of the rifle:http://photos.digitalperspective.org...size=1600x1200
    gunscrewguy and Grenadier like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I'd sooner put a short mag tube (easy to cut down) than chop or thread a 30TK. They only made them for either 2 - 3 years. I almost made a mistake by selling mine a very short time ago, and came to my senses in time. You certainly got a great deal on it! Find a regular RC model if you're going to cut it anyway, or thread it. You can shorten a mag tube with a hacksaw, some sandpaper and cold blue pretty short without getting into the forearm, they can also be replaced pretty easy.

But it is yours to do with ad you please. But I'm bettin someone will swap rifles and offer some cash to get their hands on a TK. Where's the pictures?

Oh, Welcome to MO from Kentucky by the way!
    Team 444 Marlin - 1970 Centennial
    Team 22 Magnum - # 42 Marlin 57M
    Team Browning - # 5 1992 Browning BLR .308
    Team 30-30 - # 897 1989 Marlin 30TK
    Team 35 - #501 1978 336
    Team 1894 - # 318 1979 Marlin .357 Carbine

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kraynky View Post
    I'd sooner put a short mag tube (easy to cut down) than chop or thread a 30TK. They only made them for either 2 - 3 years. I almost made a mistake by selling mine a very short time ago, and came to my senses in time. You certainly got a great deal on it! Find a regular RC model if you're going to cut it anyway, or thread it. You can shorten a mag tube with a hacksaw, some sandpaper and cold blue pretty short without getting into the forearm, they can also be replaced pretty easy.

But it is yours to do with ad you please. But I'm bettin someone will swap rifles and offer some cash to get their hands on a TK. Where's the pictures?

Oh, Welcome to MO from Kentucky by the way!
    Unless it's something local I don’t think I’d want to mess with swapping it. I’ve already waited a while to find one. Maybe I’ll change my mind after shooting it but probably not. I just haven’t run across any in person with a short tube since I got my .30 caliber can a few years ago until this 30TK.

I put a link to a photo at the bottom of the first post. For some reason the photo will not appear in the thread. I do this a lot on other forums with no issues (USN, SIGForum, BladeForums, etc.).

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    No way in hates would I destroy that gun. It kinda makes me sick just thinking about it. Hard to find, not a lot around. There are probably hundreds of thousands of plain 336’s around your area to hack up. But, hey, it’s your rifle, not mine.
    gunscrewguy and kobeinu like this.

NRA Life/Endowment
    1968 336
    1972 Texan
    God bless our troops! Thanks to all that serve or have served!

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Photoman, welcome to Mo from Midcoast Maine! With all of the 336rc's around I would not chop up a rare one. But that is just me. To each his own and have fun with your rifle.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Welcome to the forum from Missouri!!! Good luck with your decision on either way you go.
    Team 45/70 - #1761
    Team 1894 - #519
    Team 30-30 - #1382
    Team Winchester - #137
    Team Rossi - #75

Contributing Member
    Member #
    TKs are rare, but in my opinion are not 'Holy Grail' guns. That may change sometime in the future. I rebored a TK to .38-55/.375 Win. that had already been modified so it did not affect me. My gun made for one less collectible TK out there. The more guns that are modified make those remaining in original condition rarer.

If you do shorten the barrel I would take it down to 16 1/4", saving you a tax stamp. Any shorter there will be more muzzle blast, and more unburned powder for the suppressor to contend with. Check the barrel twist, heavy bullets at subsonic speeds may not stabilize. There is a barrel twist calculator on line to assist you in your decisions.

Here's a link: Twist Rate Stability Calculator |

Regards, keep us posted, AC
    photoman12001 and kobeinu like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Dang, a 30TK for $350?! Someone call the police to report a theft! Seriously, congrats a super deal on a fine rifle.

I might suggest flipping it and then getting a 336RC as mentioned above to modify.
    gunscrewguy and kobeinu like this.

Nuke ET2 (SW) US Navy Veteran 1998 - 2004

Team 60 - #225 (Team Captain)
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire - #22
    Team .22 Magnum - #98
    Team 35 Remington - #755

Team 30-30 - #1106
    Team 45-70 - #1409
    Team Bikers - #82

Rimfire: Model 81 DL / Model 88 / Model 25N / Model 70P Papoose / Model 99 M1 / Glenfield Model 60 / J.C. Higgins Model 44 DLM
    Centerfire: Model 336RC (.35 Rem) / Model 1895 / J.C. Higgins Model 45 (30-30) / Glenfield Model 30A (30-30)

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    TKs are rare, but in my opinion are not 'Holy Grail' guns. That may change sometime in the future. I rebored a TK to .38-55/.375 Win. that had already been modified so it did not affect me. My gun made for one less collectible TK out there. The more guns that are modified make those remaining in original condition rarer.

If you do shorten the barrel I would take it down to 16 1/4", saving you a tax stamp. Any shorter there will be more muzzle blast, and more unburned powder for the suppressor to contend with. Check the barrel twist, heavy bullets at subsonic speeds may not stabilize. There is a barrel twist calculator on line to assist you in your decisions.

Here's a link: Twist Rate Stability Calculator |

Regards, keep us posted, AC
    Thanks, that’s the kind of info I’m looking for.

Deadeye
    Member #
    A suppressor is nice but always works best when shooting subsonic loads. The supersonic crack of a bullet is very loud all by itself. This article, https://loaddata.com/articles/PDF/LD...iland%20LR.pdf , discusses subsonic Trailboss loads, including some for the .30-30.

If the barrel is already only 18-1/2" long I doubt you would see a huge difference in velocity by cutting it to 16-1/2". However, if your desire is to shoot subsonic ammo, every little bit of velocity reduction will help. Also, bringing the weight of the can back 2" will help the balance/handling of your suppressed rifle.

As to cutting/modifying the barrel of a 30TK, you own it, if you want to do it go for it. Just because something was made in limited numbers doesn't make it highly collectible. The 30TK was a utilitarian K-Mart offering, a low price point commodity. Didn't they use birch wood for the stock? Regardless, depending on condition you may have gotten a good deal but even a superb specimen won't command a princely price. I think you have chosen a very good starter rifle for your project.
    Last edited by Grenadier; 07-21-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    mrguvna likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links