Henry Mares Leg .45 SBR
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Henry Mares Leg .45 SBR

Super Moderator
    Member #

Henry Mares Leg .45 SBR

I know this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I recently picked up a used Henry Mares Leg in .45 Colt for the sole purpose of converting it to a SBR, or short barrel rifle for those that are not into NFA stuff. I tend to nickname some guns and PUG sounds perfect for this one. I actually posted about this elsewhere on the site but figured this was a more suitable place for a build thread so will post further mods here instead. Unlike some of my other lever action projects, I am not planning to thread this one for a suppressor since loading would be problematic with the magazine tube.

By itself, the gun in its factory configuration is at best a cool novelty, but is very awkward to shoot without an actual buttstock and is of limited practical use. Regardless, it should make a compact and hard-hitting package when complete and holds 6+1 rounds of ammo vs the 5+1 advertised on the Henry website. Furthermore this should be an easy conversion as it will only require adding a regular stock when the stamp comes back.

Overall the gun is in good shape but shows a few scratches and a nice ding on the edge of the muzzle. It was also pretty dirty and I probably spent an hour just cleaning the lead and copper fouling from the barrel. This is my third Henry but is my first centerfire model and I am impressed with the overall feel of the gun and smooth action. For fun here are a few preliminary photos of the gun as received:

Last edited by kingstrider; 02-12-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Prior to getting the gun I ordered Skinner peep sight in the black gold finish. Being a first generation gun, it was not factory drilled & tapped so I also ordered the 8-40 tap set with a dovetail blank and a new front sight. Installation was relatively straightforward and was done on the milling machine in under an hour.

rob42049, 22F, AZsparrow and 16 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Moving my attention to the muzzle, I used a flat file to remove the damaged area then recrowned the barrel using 90˚ and 45˚ muzzle facing tools with a sulfur-based cutting oil. A little cold blue solution finished the job and the barrel now measures approx. 12.8” versus the factory 12.9”. I also removed the rear buckhorn sight and tapped in the dovetail blank. I still need to order some 8-40 plug screws to cover the scope holes on the barrel but as a final touch installed a factory saddle ring found on ebay.

My favorite outdoor range is closed all month for turkey season so I haven't been able to give it a thorough workout but I was able to shoot it this morning to test for function. I will need to get some new fingerprint cards at the sheriff’s office tomorrow but plan to submit my Form 1 application this week. My last submission took about 7 months to come back so at this point it is just a waiting game.
    a9mmfan, jim716, Pig Ninja and 9 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    While cleaning the shop I found a set of 2-piece Warne steel scope bases that were removed from a Marlin 1895 I bought last year. I was going to sell them but realized they fit the factory drilled & tapped holes on the Henry barrel exactly. I have an American Defense quick mount for my Burris Fastfire III so had to mill the slot slightly wider but a little touch up blue and viola. Now I can install or remove the optic in only seconds.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Great work, I am truly impressed. Also, a great idea. Looking forward to the finished product.
    kingstrider and gunscrewguy like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Wow, that's nice, impressive work.

Gun Wizard
    Utah - A Gun Friendly Place. Yes, I am LDS ask away.
    Member #
    Love it.

I have a Rossi Ranch Hand in 45 Colt. I consider it a great Jeep gun. I don't care for the factory sights so you just gave me the solution. I love Skinner sights so I will replace the stupid Rossi factory sights with Skinner sights.

Nice one!

Update: Skinner makes a peep sight just for the Rossi Ranch Hand. Order placed.

Again, thanks for sharing your beautiful work.
    Last edited by SteedGun; 04-13-2018 at 08:21 PM.
    kingstrider and pacificpt like this.
    Klaatu, barada nikto...
    And if that does not work, Molon Labe!

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SteedGun View Post
    Love it.

I have a Rossi Ranch Hand in 45 Colt. I consider it a great Jeep gun. I don't care for the factory sights so you just gave me the solution. I love Skinner sights so I will replace the stupid Rossi factory sights with Skinner sights.

Nice one!

Update: Skinner makes a peep sight just for the Rossi Ranch Hand. Order placed.

Again, thanks for sharing your beautiful work.
    Thanks. Did you get the barrel mount or bolt mount version? I thought about those but wound up drilling & tapping my gun for XS ghost ring sights instead: https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ta...scout-sbr.html

Gun Wizard
    Utah - A Gun Friendly Place. Yes, I am LDS ask away.
    Member #
    Barrel mount. The bolt mount would not work well on a Rossi Ranch Hand which is a top ejector. I am keeping my front sight which has a nice gold bead and I decided to bling it up a bit with a brass barrel Skinner mount.

Val
    ironhead7544 and pacificpt like this.
    Klaatu, barada nikto...
    And if that does not work, Molon Labe!

NRA Life Member
    COTEP #0494

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Nice project and now another idea launched in my head. LGS I was in tonight has one of these Mares legs but I didn't pay much attention to the price or caliber. Never thought of doing an SBR with one. Until now.......
    JACKTW likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links