Tactical Loading......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Tactical Loading......

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Tactical Loading......

Long ago, far far away I shared some time on a job with a real pro, who carried a Colt .380 auto! I asked if I might take a look, and learnt a lesson I took with me threafter. The rounds in the magazine were mixed, HP and Ball (FMJ). I asked why and he explained he would never know until the SHTF what would be best, by mixing he give his shots the best possible chance of being effective. I went on to do the same in my semi autos and even 12g pumps (Shot n slug).

So, I see no reason why a lever cant do the same, where being used legally for defence of course. If it were me I would vary in twos, Lead or HP with FMJ. If you think about it, especially in self defence of the home, you dont know whats needed beforehand, penetration or stopping power.

Of course there may be other considerations, if your property is made with thin walls, perhaps thin internal walls, kids in the house. When penetration would be dangerous. How you load is up to you but varying does give your lever a wider range of effectiveness.

Just passing on what I think is a good tip..
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Thin internal walls are the norm here where I live. The best home defense is a 12ga 18in barreled pump shotgun with a straight cylinder choke and 8 round capacity. I have my own special low recoil loads with 1 1/8 ounce of #6 shot. I don't advise low powered loads in a semi-auto pistol due to the possibility of a jam. Same for hollow point ammo. This rules out me using my 45ACP for home defense as I use military ball in mine. Also rules out hollow points in a revolver due to penetration and limitation of 6 rounds.
    gunscrewguy and Owen49 like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Ball ammo is a poor stopping round. It just is. If you want penetration with stopping power go to flat points in either jackets or cast. As far as rifle rounds you get the penetration anyways so I wouldn't go with FLU. Pencil hole in, pencil hole out.

As far as thin walls go, you probably will miss your target more than hit it in a high stress situation. Even frangible bullets go through walls when target is missed. Same goes for birdshot.
    gunscrewguy and DeoVindice like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I would say that's not a good idea it's a practice from a time when there wasn't proven SD ammo...most modern fmj is bottom of the barrel ammo a good modern bonded hp will have more than enough penetration
    If you don't need or want the penetration that you hope the fmj is gonna give you and that's the round that's up...then what
    I would question whether the guy was a "real pro" when he made a choice to carry a 380

Contributing Member
    Member #
    As a cop in the 70's and early 80's the,4th, 5th, and 6th rounds in many of our revolvers were solid hard copper 'car stoppers'. The were sharply pointed, .357 mags, AP rounds. They'd plow right through a 2nd Chance vest should the bad guy be wearing one.

9mm and a 12ga. are for 'social' use in the home.

AC

Gunfighter
    Member #
    12Ga Ithaca Stakeout and Glock 9mm gets the call around the house. There are a few 38's stashed around the house too.

Joe
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Team 444 #134
    Team 45-70 #2
    '79 1894 44 mag
    1894P
    39A Golden Mountie

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Paul Harrel has his famous meat target of ribs, oranges a beef heart, ribs again all wrapped in leather to simulate a deer/person etc. With the 45 ACP, a standard RN 240 gr FMJ did reasonable damage with more penetration than most HP rounds, contrary to common belief the FMJ will flatten out to a degree. His tests are a different world from soft gelatin, where the HPs excell. Worth watching. Myself always mix my handgun loads FMJ/HP. When I did carry a 380 as a backup, always loaded fully with FMJ to help insure penetration, especially for a side shot involving an arm or shoulder. Do the same mix load in the ARs and 30 carbine.

To my mind the right answer is what you are comfortable with.
    Last edited by graymustang; 12-19-2018 at 08:03 AM.
    DeoVindice and Owen49 like this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Marlin Marksman
    Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away
    Member #
    In .380 ACP always JHP up the spout and first shot on top of magazine. Rest FMJ because anybody not hit on first double tap is going to be hiding behind something.
    Padraig, tranteruk and flatsneck like this.
    The ENEMY Is Listening
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan alder View Post
    Ball ammo is a poor stopping round. It just is. If you want penetration with stopping power go to flat points in either jackets or cast. As far as rifle rounds you get the penetration anyways so I wouldn't go with FLU. Pencil hole in, pencil hole out.

As far as thin walls go, you probably will miss your target more than hit it in a high stress situation. Even frangible bullets go through walls when target is missed. Same goes for birdshot.
    Tell that to the nazi's offed with our 45 and hardball ammo in WWII........The 45acp earned it's reputation with hardball.
    Smith & Wesson The Handgun Of Choice!
    Revolvers Rule.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer View Post
    Tell that to the nazi's offed with our 45 and hardball ammo in WWII........The 45acp earned it's reputation with hardball.
    How can I tell a dead nazi that? But I would. No doubt it will kill. But immediate stopping ability is little. If I'm wrong maybe the FBI and our LEO's should go back to ball ammo. My bet is they won't. Ever
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” — William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links