Tactical Lever Gun Sight Choice...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Tactical Lever Gun Sight Choice...

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Tactical Lever Gun Sight Choice...

I have been giving this one a lot of thought. Mines an 1894c in .357 so maximum effective range is... not that much. My sight of choice is and always has been irons, old school you see. They also help serve to maintain the essential rifle skills. Drawbacks tactically include limited use in low light, and against a dot sight, longer to draw a bead. I noticed some debate recently between low power scopes, say 1-4 and dots. The scopes fans say with a one power its as fast as a dot (I disagree, unless at longer range) and if needed you can dial it up. But thats hardly necessary at the ranges I am talking about. I dislike the dot sight as a rule. Ugly things that depend on a battery. However after some testing of all three in various short range drills I cant escape the conclusion for short range tactical use, the dot wins. In short it gives the shooter more leaway, a wider error margin. Assuming its sighted properly, if the dots on the target and your not practicing ballet at the time, you will connect.

The great news is having decided the dot beats all (for short range tactical, 20-100 yds) I have concluded, I need another Marlin. One set up with an Aimpoint, the other with my Skinners.
    Macoz, gunscrewguy, Owen49 and 6 others like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    yes I agree get another Marlin

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    2 of mine have an aimpoint micro. 30/30 and 45/70. Fast target acquisition with both eyes open, good in low light and very useable out to 100mtrs. Should suit a .357 well.
    cajun56, tranteruk and DeoVindice like this.
    Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Macoz View Post
    2 of mine have an aimpoint micro. 30/30 and 45/70. Fast target acquisition with both eyes open, good in low light and very useable out to 100mtrs. Should suit a .357 well.
    May I ask which Micro? 1 or 2 and what dot size do you find best, 2 or 4 moa?
    cajun56 and Macoz like this.

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Looking forward to seeing what you wind up doing. I have been thinking of setting a rifle up with a Trijicon RMR dual illuminated model. I have one on my FNX and it works well with no need for batteries. Seems like it would work really well for a hunting rifle within the ranges I am able to shoot.
    cajun56 likes this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Red dots are kinda pricey, maybe try a cheaper option before committing to the aim point?
    cajun56 likes this.
    Team Browning #91
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #61
    Team Mauser #54
    Team Shotgun #83

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The .357 Mag./.38 Spl. chambering is my favoritest flavor of Marlin Model 1894.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumbag View Post
    Red dots are kinda pricey, maybe try a cheaper option before committing to the aim point?
    Ah, I am in the very fortunate position of getting most gear at trade. I am still (sort of) in the trade. I have in fact sold two Aimpoints in the last month (H2s), and bought one for resale that I wont re sell. I sighted it on my Marlin this very morning. Boresighted at 25, adjusted to print at 25, checked at 50. Try it at 100 later this week. Gotta love guns and shooting...

Also this morning check some AR 20rd mags I have been faffing with. Top round on some was hitting the front of the mag wall and jamming. I filed them down, chamfered the edges and they worked well.... Just cant get enough...
    cajun56 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    One answer is get a 39A. Take lots of 22lr and practice speed drills, on targets spread out, and out to at least 75 yards and develop your instinctive shooting skills. When going well, advance to shooting with the sights removed. One the 22 is mastered, a similar centerfire lever rifle should train up quickly. It should be, that using the front sight as a quick reference point, fast accurate fire can be delivered thru at least 100 yds. As for low light, the insticitive shooting covered earlier should allow for hits, especially with a tridium front sight. In the days before all the new era sights, we used to train to those standards, and the 22lr will probably be cheaper than buying a sight, which can brake, and leave you alone untrained in the dark.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what you wind up doing. I have been thinking of setting a rifle up with a Trijicon RMR dual illuminated model. I have one on my FNX and it works well with no need for batteries. Seems like it would work really well for a hunting rifle within the ranges I am able to shoot.
    I have the FRM dual also with the 13 MOA triangle. I do really like it but it does have downfalls.

1. Washout. I reality I can live it. Only happens during low percentage of scenarios

2. It isn't truly 1x. This is what bothers me the most. It has slight magnification

3. Not crazy with the tint of the glass. Just seems odd looking through it but I can live it

I prefer the Aimpoints because of the three above points. But the dual illumination is really nice. For a bedtime weapon I like it alot!
    cajun56 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links