Question regarding ability to suppress a .45 colt lever action with a 45 acp can
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Mikewood
  • 1 Post By njcioffi

Thread: Question regarding ability to suppress a .45 colt lever action with a 45 acp can

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Question regarding ability to suppress a .45 colt lever action with a 45 acp can

I am on the market for a Marlin lever action in preferably a 45 colt. I am waiting on ATF paperwork to come back for my AAC Ti-Rant 45. I am just wondering if someone can enlighten me on if a 45 (acp) suppressor will work with a 45 colt lever action rifle? I have not found much info online in regard to this, and from a quick search I see that energy, velocity and bullet weights are similar between the 45acp and 45 colt. However, on some forums I have heard of the 45 colt having higher pressures than the 45 acp. I did contact the manufacturer, and the guy I spoke with initially looked it up and said yes it will work. But, then he called me back to say he could not recommend it to me due to liability (since they tested it in 45acp) and that the bullets in the 45 colt are heavier (which doesn't make sense). By the way, intended use is legal hog hunting, plinking and cool factor. My back up plan for this project would be a Marlin in 44spl/44mag which I have seen videos of it being successfully suppressed. However, 44spl is harder to find and more expensive, and I'd rather stay away from that option.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It's not the weight of the bullet but the volume of gas that causes problems. If this is a pistol can it will work with all subsonic 45 colt loads. If it is a machine gun can it will likely work with all 45 colt and 44 mag loads. So just shoot subsonic or near subsonic and you will be fine.
    Make sure the guy who threads your rifle's barrel cuts the threads on a lathe. They have to be perfectly concentric to the bore.
    Guns don't kill people, gun free zones kill people.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Sweet deal, thanks! and I will definitely ask the gun smith to use a lathe

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    With any suppressor, the use of HEAVY slow subsonic rounds works the best.... There are reflex supressors out there that use full capacity velocity and still suppress a little... They are usually attached to machine guns including the BMG50 Ma Duce... The only drawback to full velocity rounds is the sonic crack as the bullet goes downrange...

I have seen on youtube a suppressor that is square with 4 different calibers you simply take the front of the suppressor off, rotate the internals to the right hole, reattach the front and continue on a different caliber weapon...
    Alan

"Problems are not solved at the same level of awareness that created them." A. Einstein

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I would think it would be fine...but i would also check woth the mfg before trying. Shame to waste all that tax money on an experiment
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    I don't believe in fairy tales, sermons, or stories about money....but thank you kindly for the cigarette.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I would guess that the volume of the rifle bore would negate any extra gas volume generated from a subsonic 45Colt cartridge compared to the diminutive .45acp can produce in a 5 or 6 inch barrel. Right on with what 'njcioffi' and 'STARDATE2010' are saying. AC

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links