Threaded Adapter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Threaded Adapter

Wrangler
    Member #

Threaded Adapter

Thinking about getting a suppressor for my Marlin 981T .22 I saw an adapter that is machined to fit tight and held in place with 3 flush mount Allen head bolts. I really don't want to try to get barrel threaded. Any opinions?

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    If you don't mind buggering up the end of your barrel with the allen bolts.... You've get 3 new dings every time you take it off and put it back one. Rifle barrels run between 25-32 Rockwell hardness units.

It should work, but how secure will it be? Does the adapter contact the barrel anywhere other than the 3 allen bolt ends?
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    It’s really important to get the adapter plumb with the barrel. If there is any deviation from the bore you risk striking the baffles of the suppressor with the bullet.
    -Kendawg

Team Wheelguns #73, Team Remington 700 #63, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #135, Team Winchester #131, Team 1894 #515

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendawg View Post
    It’s really important to get the adapter plumb with the barrel. If there is any deviation from the bore you risk striking the baffles of the suppressor with the bullet.
    YES--must be perfectly concentric to the bore. Not all barrels are perfectly concentric to the bore on the outside unless they were turned on a lathe. The adapter you want depends on the outside being perfectly concentric to the bore. Baffles on a suppressor are a very tight clearance----.001 to -005 as opposed to muzzle brake clearances---.020.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks for the input. I agree with y'all on the adapter but wanted to hear someone with experience to confirm.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Considering all the $$$ I have spent on a suppressor I vote for threading the barrel. I use my 22 suppressor on my pistols but when I tried it on a rifle.....wow it was as they say "Movie Silent" and I was impressed. I just ordered another suppressor in 7.62 and I will probably thread all of my barrels on my 7.62 and all of my 22 rifles. I guess I am too fearful of a baffle strike.
    Retired US ARMY 73-93

Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. - Patrick Henry

My Marlin Family

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Yup, do not use adaptors.
    Thread your barrel. do it on a lathe the proper way, don't use dies manually.
    One baffle strike is all it takes to ruin your day..and your can.
    Team 60 #186
    Team 30-30 #987
    Team Semi-Auto #34
    Team 45/70 #1801
    Team Wheel Guns #100

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    The threading of the barrel is the biggest part of suppressed fire. Suppressors aren't that technical to construct.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Perhaps I am out of date,but I just don't see the thrill in suppressors.
    If the time ever comes to
    Rock and Roll again,I will choose to turn up the volume.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    This side of the pond it's a working tool on a rifle. Shoot more vermin with a subsonic .22rf, and disturb game birds, foxes and deer less with a suppressor. Back before Christmas we were having city foxes released near us, on 1 night we called in and shot 4 in 1 field in 10mns. Suppressed 22-250 with a night sight, spotted with a thermal. They allow you to take a shot next to live stock. They have their place and do work. As they are common this side of the pond I do not see a cool or thrill factor in one, I suppose this is because I have always known them and they have no novelty factor for me.

By the way as has been posted, the threading must be done by a competent gun smith on a lathe or there will be tears before bedtime. I have a number of rifles that will not be threaded my 336 being 1 of them. If we were not so restricted as to the number of rifles a Black 336 factory threaded would be on my bucket list as a working tool. Gar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links