Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Threaded Adapter

7K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  black1970 
#1 ·
Thinking about getting a suppressor for my Marlin 981T .22 I saw an adapter that is machined to fit tight and held in place with 3 flush mount Allen head bolts. I really don't want to try to get barrel threaded. Any opinions?

#2 ·
If you don't mind buggering up the end of your barrel with the allen bolts.... You've get 3 new dings every time you take it off and put it back one. Rifle barrels run between 25-32 Rockwell hardness units.

It should work, but how secure will it be? Does the adapter contact the barrel anywhere other than the 3 allen bolt ends?

#4 ·
YES--must be perfectly concentric to the bore. Not all barrels are perfectly concentric to the bore on the outside unless they were turned on a lathe. The adapter you want depends on the outside being perfectly concentric to the bore. Baffles on a suppressor are a very tight clearance----.001 to -005 as opposed to muzzle brake clearances---.020.

#6 ·
Considering all the $$$ I have spent on a suppressor I vote for threading the barrel. I use my 22 suppressor on my pistols but when I tried it on a rifle.....wow it was as they say "Movie Silent" and I was impressed. I just ordered another suppressor in 7.62 and I will probably thread all of my barrels on my 7.62 and all of my 22 rifles. I guess I am too fearful of a baffle strike.

#10 ·
This side of the pond it's a working tool on a rifle. Shoot more vermin with a subsonic .22rf, and disturb game birds, foxes and deer less with a suppressor. Back before Christmas we were having city foxes released near us, on 1 night we called in and shot 4 in 1 field in 10mns. Suppressed 22-250 with a night sight, spotted with a thermal. They allow you to take a shot next to live stock. They have their place and do work. As they are common this side of the pond I do not see a cool or thrill factor in one, I suppose this is because I have always known them and they have no novelty factor for me.

By the way as has been posted, the threading must be done by a competent gun smith on a lathe or there will be tears before bedtime. I have a number of rifles that will not be threaded my 336 being 1 of them. If we were not so restricted as to the number of rifles a Black 336 factory threaded would be on my bucket list as a working tool. Gar.

#14 ·
As others have said, a properly threaded barrel is essential. I own three suppressors and have several rifles threaded including a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun and a Glenfield model 30 (Marlin 336 improved :biggrin:). I do not recomment adapters.

As for "thrill factor", as Gareth has said, it's the utility of suppressors that makes them worthwhile. I use a suppressed 22 with Eley subsonics to control vermin around our home in the middle of town. It is "cat-sneeze" quiet and nobody knows I fired a shot.

I load subsonic rounds for my threaded rifles in 45-70, 30-30 and 308 for hunting. It prevents disturbing nearby game and increases my chances of taking additional game.

As for hoops, when you purchase a suppressor, you will complete a form for submission to ATF providing information the gubmint uses to run a background check. $200 is paid to the gubmint as punishment for wanting a suppressor. It typically takes from eight months to a year and a half to get approval. While waiting, your suppressor remains with the seller. The seller contacts you when approval is received and you can then take possession of the suppressor.

T.S.

#15 · (Edited)
Personally I would look for a better host that doesn't have an end loading magazine tube like the 981T. Otherwise you will have to remove the can every time you reload the gun, regardless of how you mount it. I would also forget any of those screw set adaptors. Why chance ruining an expensive suppressor on a flimsy mounting system?

#25 · (Edited)
Use a brass shim, aluminum shim (flat, rolled,thin) or some softer metal than the gun barrel under the adapter for the set screws to be applied against. Or, make sure your set screws are either brass tipped (crimp a cap on them if needed) or Delrin, etc..

I have done this on my Big Bore PCP air rifles wherein the barrel muzzle was not threaded.

As to proper alignment, use a brass rod longer than the can and machined to fit tightly in the muzzle, with tapered or straight.

That is your option other than a threaded muzzle or muzzle can attachment similar to the AR variants and Sniper rifles have which are threaded on the barrel muzzle (i.e. the muzzle is already threaded!) to begin with.

#27 ·
Buy a 22 with a factory threaded barrel. They are becoming cheaper and more common.

Reactions: gunscrewguy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.