henry 45-70 ho15 single shot going to 45-90
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: henry 45-70 ho15 single shot going to 45-90

Tinhorn
    Member #

henry 45-70 ho15 single shot going to 45-90

i have a new henry 45-70 single shot, i wamt to take it out to 45-90. i plan to shot black powder mostly with 500 grain porjectile and any where from 80 t0 90 grains maybe less.powder will tell me what it wants with compression. every one i talk to says not to do it the rifle is to light at 6.8 pounds ,but i have shot a modern muzzle loader at 120 grains for probably 500 rounds maybe 50 rounds at a time. and i regularly shoot 100 grains in my 54 flint yes it does weigh 10.2 pounds. so what say you all is this the mother of all shoulder destruction. or is every one to afraid to pull the trigger

Contributing Member
    Member #
    You'll know the first time you pull the trigger.

AC
    Ray Newman likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My experience says a Henry single shot will be too light if rechambered to a .45-90. Between April - October, I shoot Black Powder cartridge twice a week, loading 8-11 pounds Black Powder and 50 + pounds of lead per season. So I do have some experience.

Back in 1983, I shot a Johnathan Browning, .50 calibre, 70 grains GOEX FFFg powder, cloth patched round ball. Around 1984 I purchased an original Springfield Model 1873 Infantry Rifle (AKA Trapdoor) made in 1889 and a .45-70Browning B-78 carbine. Immediately felt more recoil from both when loaded with GOEX FFg and a 500 grain Government bullet.

Other shooters who went from Black Powder muzzleloader to cartridge also said the same. Seems that it is not the powder charge, but the bullet weight that is the cause. The B-78 was just too light and the crescent butt did not help. The Trapdoor let me know when fired with GOEX FFg powder and the 500 grain Government bullet.

As for the .45-90, I have two Sharps M1874 No.1 rifles .45-2.4” (now called .45-90). In 1986, I ordered a Shiloh/C. Sharps (both companies were the same at that time) No.1, .45-2.4”, 30“ half octagon/half round barrel, weighing about 8 pounds. Rifle is too light for the caliber. The other .45-2.4” is a ‘scoped 25 lbs. No.1 -- no notice of recoil with that weight.

In the lighter .45-2.4” rifle both FFg and Fg powders were still tiring with a 500 grain bullet. Also with 80+ grains of powder, fouling control became even more important.

I now load bore diameter paper patch bullets and that has lowered the felt recoil in both .45-2.4” rifles and my 45. 110 Sharps-Borchardt. Others who changed from grease groove to bore diameter paper patch have said the same. This year I tried GOEX Old Eynsford 1.5Fg powder, but it is still too early to report and the shooting season up here is just about over as the winter rains are approaching.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 10-19-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    In real life may you be the bad ass you claim to be on social media....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    thank you mr.Newman thats what i thought but no would say i have a 535 grain mold for my marlin rcbs seats deep . but when you pull the trigger evertone stops and looks so you cant show any reactions but it tells you right now to stop.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Yeah that is going to be pretty light but hey it is your shoulder.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Another thing is that if you ever have a problem with the rifle, I wouldn't expect H.R.A. to fix it.
    Ray Newman likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    i was a harley tec for more years than i want to claim. people would come to me for motor work and the frist thing, they wanted was my motor size and how many miles was on it . and i road a 106 inch motor in evo at 120 hourse. so the warranty is on me no problem. i my broke my shoulder in a motorcycle accident tore the rotator cup brokr the scatula the big bone that kind of looks like a moose rack. there is no more repair to be done now so if i blow my shoulder i can say i did it, i want to thank every one ho answered for your input but it is something i just have to do. thank to every one .i will keep you all posted. gary

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gary bc View Post
    i have a new henry 45-70 single shot, i wamt to take it out to 45-90. i plan to shot black powder mostly with 500 grain porjectile and any where from 80 t0 90 grains maybe less.powder will tell me what it wants with compression. every one i talk to says not to do it the rifle is to light at 6.8 pounds ,but i have shot a modern muzzle loader at 120 grains for probably 500 rounds maybe 50 rounds at a time. and i regularly shoot 100 grains in my 54 flint yes it does weigh 10.2 pounds. so what say you all is this the mother of all shoulder destruction. or is every one to afraid to pull the trigger
    Gary,

Before you rechamber to 45- 2.4", you may want to try a few tips.

• Do not resize the case after firing. A Lee Universal de-capping die will work.
    • Only bell the mouth of the case to accept the next bullet. You will get more case volume out of the 45-2.1".
    • Use Fg BP with the heavy bullet and a .030 veg or HDPE wad over the powder and a target paper wad touching the bullet.
    • Seat the bullet so the lands are etching the bullet nose. Soft alloy 30-1 or 40-1 will be your friend. Less seating depth and thinner wad will also give you more powder volume.
    • Use a taper crimp to keep the bullet from falling out. A perfect crimp will allow you to spin the bullet in the case and not pull it out.
    • Also, use a standard large pistol primer to light the column of BP. It is an explosive, not a propellent.

See what this produces before going longer. The slower burning Fg powder is just like slower smokeless powder. It produces higher velocity than the faster buring smaller grain size grades of BP.

You may also find the Fg powder will produce a less snappy recoil. It sounds like your shoulder would appreciate a firm push vs hammer strike recoil.
    Last edited by Herrschutz; 10-22-2019 at 01:05 AM.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Ray,

Ditto on the paper patch. Less felt recoil!
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    You can rent a throating reamer to maximize the existing chamber to utilize Herrschutz's recommendation, I've throated a couple H&Rs to load bigger bullets without sacrificing case capacity. You can always add a little weight to the stock cavity to help with recoil.

Tim

https://4drentals.com/product/458-throater/
    Herrschutz likes this.
    "Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

H&R Centerfire Rifle Forum: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r...re-rifles.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links