1953 Winchester Model 70 and scope HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 1953 Winchester Model 70 and scope HELP!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

1953 Winchester Model 70 and scope HELP!

Went to visit my Uncle this morning and he gave me his 1953 Winchester Model 70 30-06!
    He's almost 90 now and he can hardly lift it,he bought it new when he was in the Korean war,I tried to get the story from him and he said he bought it overseas but he gets confused sometimes.

It's a 1953 so that would line up with the dates he was overseas......Could you by a gun back then overseas and bring it home?

What my main question is about the old Weaver KV scope on it what is the 3 rd. knob on the side for ? I didn't want to mess with it at all till I know what it's for? ??

The scope is perfectly clear with fine cross hairs the mount is a Pachmayer LO-SWING Scope mount,it works great.

I'm sure that mount destroyed the value a ton but I ain't sellin it anyway but would still like opinions on the value.

I know that gun has killed a zillion deer I remember him hunting with it 50 some years ago.

I'm going to sight this baby in and hunt with it!

Arky73, 94win30wcf, navajo and 7 others like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    That V is for variable, not varmint, and the third adjustment changes the magnification. Remove the rearmost adjustment cap and you should see what the magnification range is and what directions to turn it for increasing or decreasing power.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    That V is for variable, not varmint, and the third adjustment changes the magnification.
    Thank you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    That is one nice classic. I hope you get a deer with it and keep the tradition going.
    35REMSHOOTER and 94win30wcf like this.
    Teams:
    444, 44-40, 30-30,-32Special, 35Rem, 45-70

Wrangler
    Member #
    That third knob is, I believe to changs the power of the magnification. The KV is a two power scope, 2.5 -5X. Nothing in between. It was in many respects a game changer in the optics world. I formerly had a 53 vintage 70, 270, great gun. Yours is a beauty. Enjoy the combo, after all they've worked for over 60 years together.
    35REMSHOOTER and navajo like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 35REMSHOOTER View Post
    ...he bought it new when he was in the Korean war,I tried to get the story from him and he said he bought it overseas but he gets confused sometimes.

It's a 1953 so that would line up with the dates he was overseas......Could you by a gun back then overseas and bring it home?
    In 1953 you could order a rifle from the Sears catalog or some other mail order outfit and have it sent directly to your home. Perhaps he did just that by posting his mail order while overseas.
    35REMSHOOTER likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    That's a wonderful legacy your uncle passed on to you. I have my dad's Model 70 that he bought around the same time as your uncle got his! That whole generation looked at the ownership of a Model 70 as the sign of a serious outdoorsman.
    There is something special about owning and shooting a Model 70.
    35REMSHOOTER likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
    That third knob is, I believe to changs the power of the magnification. The KV is a two power scope, 2.5 -5X. Nothing in between. It was in many respects a game changer in the optics world. I formerly had a 53 vintage 70, 270, great gun. Yours is a beauty. Enjoy the combo, after all they've worked for over 60 years together.
    You are correct I just took the cap off and it has 2 3/4 X & 5X with 2 arrows and it still works.

I wonder how many of those caps were lost in the woods.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MrTodd View Post
    That's a wonderful legacy your uncle passed on to you. I have my dad's Model 70 that he bought around the same time as your uncle got his! That whole generation looked at the ownership of a Model 70 as the sign of a serious outdoorsman.
    There is something special about owning and shooting a Model 70.
    I dearly miss that generation
    TRAILS-END likes this.

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    Use it. we will all get to the point when we are like your uncle. it will make him so happy to see you enjoy it. carry it with pride!
    35REMSHOOTER and TRAILS-END like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links