Not so happy with my new Lyman Sharps 1877.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Not so happy with my new Lyman Sharps 1877.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Not so happy with my new Lyman Sharps 1877.

I shot this 30-30 caliber rifle for the first time last month. I bought it as my buck list rifle after being diagnosed with throat cancer. I was only able to shoot it 3 times when a storm came up and had to leave. At 50 yards it put 3 Hornady 160 grain flex tip bullets in a pretty quarter size hole about 6 inches high and 4 to the right. Today I shot a box and a half of the 160 grain Evolution ammo thru it at 50 yards. I have to say the lyman tang sight is pretty much junk. I had to move the front sight way to the right to correct the 4 inches poa. It still needs to go right but will probably fall off the barrel before poa is right. I shot twice at 100 yards still shooting to the right 4 to 5 inches.That could be me as my eyes are bad but both rounds where inline and about a inch apart.I might need to try some slower ammo like Winchester 150 grain hollow points or some 170 grain ammo before I buy a different sight system. The rifle is a beauty to me but doesn't shoot to my standards for a $1400.00 rifle.
    lever30, VinceA, Travlin and 4 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    it sure is a shame that the quality of lyman product have suffered over the past few decades, i have no experience with their BP guns or sharps reproductions, but bullet molds and much of the reloading supplies are all inferior mass produced stuff, and the sights are not what they used to be. I'll never forget buying a new powder scale from them about 20 years ago It was a super light plastic piece of junk. I was expecting an ohaus cast metal frame scale.
    Sharps is still in business they are the real deal you only go around one in this world, best to you

Sharps Rifles Catalog | C. Sharps Arms, Inc.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Sorry to hear that Gabby. My 35 year old Great Plains 54 cal is a fine rifle. Always thought to get another ....maybe not.
    Gabby1956 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Sorry to hear about your disappointment, Gabby but Lyman got me too. About 1990, I bought a Great Plains flint lock rife which had a 1/16th inch gap between the pan and the barrel letting priming powder pour into the lock mortise. The frizzen left copious gaps where it met the pan and powder would run out there as well. I was able to work the gun over so it worked and was not a hazzard to shoot but it surely let me share your disappointment.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Deadeye
    Member #
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/lyman-mo...rps-lym6001878
    I'm amazed at the OP's experience.
    Pedersoli makes outstanding weapons.
    So if they made the barrel, who made the action? (if anyone knows)

Wrangler
    Member #
    An old trick for non-windage adjustable vernier sights is using a shim on one side of the base. If you're shooting left, make the sight lean to the right. It's amazing how thin a shim one uses to move a few inches at 100 yards. This will allow you to at least move your front sight close to center. Hope this helps get you shooting center again.
    ironhead7544 and Gabby1956 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabby1956 View Post
    I shot this 30-30 caliber rifle for the first time last month. I bought it as my buck list rifle after being diagnosed with throat cancer. I was only able to shoot it 3 times when a storm came up and had to leave. At 50 yards it put 3 Hornady 160 grain flex tip bullets in a pretty quarter size hole about 6 inches high and 4 to the right. Today I shot a box and a half of the 160 grain Evolution ammo thru it at 50 yards. I have to say the lyman tang sight is pretty much junk. I had to move the front sight way to the right to correct the 4 inches poa. It still needs to go right but will probably fall off the barrel before poa is right. I shot twice at 100 yards still shooting to the right 4 to 5 inches.That could be me as my eyes are bad but both rounds where inline and about a inch apart.I might need to try some slower ammo like Winchester 150 grain hollow points or some 170 grain ammo before I buy a different sight system. The rifle is a beauty to me but doesn't shoot to my standards for a $1400.00 rifle.
    What is the sight radius? Assuming it's 36" sight radius from tang sight to front sight on a 30" barrel...

4" right at 100 yards, down a 36" sight radius is a 0.04" nudge to the right on the front sight. 4 hundredths ain't much, my friend. I think you're in better shape than you think you are.
    Gabby1956 likes this.
    "If you can remember all of the guns you own, you don't have enough." -- Me

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." -- Col. Townsend Whelen

Deadeye
    Member #
    As Zim & others note, adjusting a tang sight to final vertical is a normal operation -- even with the most expensive variations.

Cut a thin (3/16-1/4" wide) strip out of an aluminum can (coke, beer, expensive fizzy water what have you);
    - Loosen the tang base screws;
    - Slide the strip under one side* of the base; and
    - Re tighten the base.**

For what it's worth, the Lyman #2 is an excellent tang sight for traditional rifle.
    I use the #2 on Set-It-Forget-It rifles once the load(s) are developed, and have several on various lever actions (as well as multiple reeeeally expensive MVAs on others.)

* right side in your case.
    ** If still shooting more than 2MOA right, with front sight centered, slide a 2nd strip and tighten back up
    Last edited by mehavey; 09-15-2019 at 07:03 PM.
    94win30wcf and Gabby1956 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If it's all made by Pedersoli, I would be surprised by the lack of accuracy. Then again, maybe that particular rifle just doesn't like that specific ammo. Try some others, and maybe do some reloading. With the right load, I'm sure you'll find it pleasingly accurate.
    Gabby1956 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I watched a video on youtube where a gentleman was shooting a Lyman Ideal sharps in 38-55. His rifle is made by Chippia, to the best of my knowledge mine is solely made by Pedersoli. He had the same issue with the front sight moved so far in the dove tail that it appeared ready to fall off the barrel. My first 3 shots where very tight, so I don't think I have an accuracy problem. I am concerned about having to move the front sight so far to bring POA to center at 50 yards. I am thinking seriously about sending it back to Pedersoli. I suspicion barrel problems. I am going to be down awhile due to Cancer treatment so I really don't think I'll miss it if its gone a few months. If I am able to hunt this year I can always use the new Henry 357, got to break it in to. I might just order the mid range RS-Creedmore-3-WE sold by Track of the Wolf sight company. That sight has windage and elevation adjustments, so I could recenter the front sight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links