New Single Shot - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: New Single Shot

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I currently have five number 1's and two number 3's. All shoot extremely well. However, I learned on my very first one (25-06) to aid in accuracy. Shoot for groups with an ice cold barrel. That first number 1 produced over 2" groups at 100 yards with any handload tryed. I ended up with IMR 4831 and a Sierra 117 grain bullet because it actually chronographed at a decent velocity, but accuracy was same as any other load. Well, final sight in for deer season while waiting 15 minutes between each shot at 200 yards, I was rewarded
    with a 3/4 inch group. I've repeated this with all my other Ruger single shots since, and accuracy has been stellar.

If wanting to shoot from a warm to hot barrel, the Hick's Accuizer and other bedding techniques can be applied. However, I have the patience along with other firearms at the range to allow time for the Ruger barrels to cool.
    Drm50 and olmarlin like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    In #1s the bigger the bore the less finicky they tend to be. The 22/250 is the most finicky but it is in many other rifles too. The effect is less on the heavy barrel models. I had a 7mm mg that drove me nuts and a 300mg that shot anything you stuffed in it with no hot/cold barrel issues.
    olmarlin likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My buddy had a No 1 in 22-250 with the varmit barrel. It was the most accurate rifle I ever shot.
    Amaving thing was he never handloaded for it. Just shot factory ammo.
    olmarlin likes this.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Great rifle. Most accurate cartridge I've ever shot.
    olmarlin likes this.
    R. Highhawk

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

TEAMS 45-70, 30-30, 1894, Browning

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    In #1s the bigger the bore the less finicky they tend to be. The 22/250 is the most finicky but it is in many other rifles too. The effect is less on the heavy barrel models. I had a 7mm mg that drove me nuts and a 300mg that shot anything you stuffed in it with no hot/cold barrel issues.
    I don't completely agree with that. I have 19 Ruger #1 rifles in various configurations from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby, all red pad models. Thde biggest problem with them is Ruger was using contract barrels, most from Wilson. Some were pretty damn sloppy. My #1A in 7x57 had a throat over 2" long, way out of spec for that cartridge. I sent it back to Ruger and it came back with a new barrel. The newer Rugers with the black pads except for a few early ones have barrel Ruger makes and from what I've heard they are very good.
    My .22 Hornet B, .223 V, .257 Robt. B, 6mm B all shoot sub MOA. The rebarreled 7x57 is a one inch gun most of the time, the three .300 Win. mags are all sub MOA (B,S,S models, one S a 200th year gun) The .375 H&H is usually good for 1.25". I have two B models in 25-06, one a tack driver, the other thinks it's a shotgun but some of the pretties wood I ever seen on a Ruger. Two B models in 30-06 have been a total disappointment, one being the very first one I back back in 1970. I never have been able to get then to shoot. Still trying every once in a while though.
    A couple of things to check. Where the butt stock abuts the receiver should be as perfect a fit as possible and the rib that holds the scope rings should clear the receiver at least by a small margin. As the barrel heats up that rib will change the pressure it places where it contacts the receiver and changes the barrel's harmonics. I'm thinking this is what is messing up the two 30-06s and that one 25-06. Problem is the screws are very tight and probably are fastened with Loctite. Then they're also held with two pins, but I'm not sure how easy the rib might slide off them.
    One more thing. Don't hunt with them in the rain. Ruger does not seal the wood on the inside, not on the #1 nor the M77.
    The Ruger has it's faults but if I didn't like then I would not have as many as I do. I'm betting yours will shoot just fine.
    Paul B.
    olmarlin likes this.
    COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS AN OXYMOROM PROMULGATED BY MORONS!
    WHAT GOOD FORTUNE FOR GOVERNMENT THAT THE PEOPLE DO NOT THINK!....Adolf Hitler
    Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
    MOLON LABE

Deadeye
    Member #
    Your rifle has a beautiful piece of wood. Congratulations on picking up a Ruger Number 1. It is one of my all time favorites.
    olmarlin likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have never had more than five #1s at a time and 19 might be more than I've owned altogether. Same with #3s & 77s. I have one of each that were purchased as soon as there were on the Market. In the case of 77 it is outstanding for accuracy and the rumor was that first 77s had Douglas barrels. I've herd this said of other models but Im not sure if it's true. There was a point in 80s I stopped buying Ruger because of decline in quality.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links