Ruger Number One, 375 H&H, to the range!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Ruger Number One, 375 H&H, to the range!

Contributing Member
    Member #

Ruger Number One, 375 H&H, to the range!

Ah, this morning was so nice at the NCW Gun Club! Cool, overcast, light breeze.

I took the 375 H&H Ruger Number One out to the range for a practice session. It's currently topped with the 1.5-5x Leupold. Today's ammo was the 270 grain RNSP Hornady over 69 grains of RL-15. The load is accurate & powerful. I've had this rifle for ten years now and have shot three bears with it. It's become one of my absolute favorite hunting rifles, and I wish I'd taken an elk or a mule deer with it as well, but that hasn't happened yet. Someday perhaps.

I'd only intended to shoot about 10 rounds today... But... Well... When I'm shooting one of my favorite rifles, it's hard to know when to quit. So... 35 rounds went downrange.

Shortest range I shot at was 20 yards, longest was only 100 yards. I did rest the rifle across my backpack for some shooting, but a most of it was from sitting or standing with no support. I surely do enjoy shooting this nice rifle. Reliable, accurate, great handling. Makes me grin so much. A few years ago I considered selling it, but am so glad that I didn't do that. This one is a keeper.

You can see where we had the fire department out to do a controlled burn on the range. Seemed prudent, given the summers/fire seasons we've had so often in recent years. They did a great job of burning the grass & weeds!

Am planning to carry this rifle for black bear again this year. Hoping for another success!

Regards, Guy

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    You certainly have the right medicine. I have an older Ruger 77 in 375 H&H. I think I only shot it twice since I bought it many years ago. I was going to sell it but just never got around to doing so. Now all you need is a backup pistol in 500 or 454 Casull and you are set for dangerous game.
    M700, msharley, Sambane and 2 others like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    you never go wrong with a 375 H&H, it takes the worry out of being close, I have used a CZ 550 in 375 H&H on six hunting trips to Africa and used it on over 90 precent of the animals taken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    M700, msharley, Sambane and 11 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy23* View Post
    You certainly have the right medicine. I have an older Ruger 77 in 375 H&H. I think I only shot it twice since I bought it many years ago. I was going to sell it but just never got around to doing so. Now all you need is a backup pistol in 500 or 454 Casull and you are set for dangerous game.
    I do have a 500 S&W revolver!

Enjoy shooting it. Never have hunted with it, but it's an awful lot of fun as a range toy.

Guy
    msharley, Sambane, mazer and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    you never go wrong with a 375 H&H, it takes the worry out of being close, I have used a CZ 550 in 375 H&H on six hunting trips to Africa and used it on over 90 precent of the animals taken.
    Yup, 100%.
    Beautiful eland there Eastbank, fantastic!
    M700, Marlinjunkie and Reload like this.

" a tired warrior aims a little higher"

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    375H&H was my favorite big bore. I used 270gr for bear & moose. I liked the rifle so well I started loading 235gr bullets and using it for deer where a scoped rifle was called for. I had several but a Sako FinnBear was my pick of the litter.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    35 'range' rounds ..........ouch!

John

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    That's why I liked the old Sako FinnBear, even off the bench wasn't as bad as feather weights in 30/06 and other common calibers.The worst one I had was a Herters 458 with stock design of a bolt action shotgun. Benched or offhand it was brutal. Lucky at the time I had it Dirty Harry mania was in full swing and I offed it quick.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Wrangler
    Member #
    That is a very classy rifle. It is nice to see someone shooting a classic medium in a Ruger #1. I am so tired of hearing about the .338 Lapua.

Deadeye
    Member #
    One of the nicest looking rifles ever built. Good to see one being exercised and used both on the range for some enjoyment, and in the field for game.
    M700, Marlinjunkie and Reload like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links