Ruger Number One, 375 H&H, to the range! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Ruger Number One, 375 H&H, to the range!

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I sold all my magnum BA hunting rifles that I figured I wouldn't be using anymore. They were all top shelf rifles but the only one I regret selling was the Sako 375H&H. I want another one but nothing new. Only ones I would consider are Ruger#1, pre64 m70 Win, Brn Safari or older Sako. Unless I ran across a classic European rifle at a steal. I really have no good use for a 375H&H anymore I just want one.
    JMAG54, M700, Sambane and 3 others like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I love the 375! I use the 375Ruger in a M77 Ruger Guide Gun....still thinking of going to a 375H&H at some point, but ballistics wise they are the same....but if I came across a nice Ruger#1 or a gorgeous Safari gun (I've seen a few VERY Nice ones) I might just have to grab it! I use the Speer Hotcor 270gr over varget and the thing is a literal blast to shoot! Definitely wakes them up on the range!!
    msharley, M700, Sambane and 3 others like this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    I love the 375! I use the 375Ruger in a M77 Ruger Guide Gun....still thinking of going to a 375H&H at some point, but ballistics wise they are the same....but if I came across a nice Ruger#1 or a gorgeous Safari gun (I've seen a few VERY Nice ones) I might just have to grab it! I use the Speer Hotcor 270gr over varget and the thing is a literal blast to shoot! Definitely wakes them up on the range!!
    Yup, me too Mazer.
    Unfortunately ammo and bits and pieces therefore are becoming treasured unobtainables here.
    I guess I'll have to switch back to .375H&H or 416Rigby.
    I won't get much for my Ruger in the market here, because of the ammo issue.
    It'll be a pity as I do like it, a lot!
    Marlinjunkie, M700, Reload and 2 others like this.

" a tired warrior aims a little higher"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Right now I'm fooling with #3 in 375Win and spitzer bullets for 375H&H. I can't use 375H&H in Ohio for deer and am not fond of 45/70 as a deer gun. What I'm looking for now is a good original 1895 Win in 405Win. Got no experience with 405 other than shooting a few rounds in another guys rifle and a couple boxes of factory in Wins retro model a few years ago. That's the only big bore I'm interested in as far as a hunting rifle.
    Marlinjunkie, Sambane and Reload like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Right now I'm fooling with #3 in 375Win and spitzer bullets for 375H&H. I can't use 375H&H in Ohio for deer and am not fond of 45/70 as a deer gun. What I'm looking for now is a good original 1895 Win in 405Win. Got no experience with 405 other than shooting a few rounds in another guys rifle and a couple boxes of factory in Wins retro model a few years ago. That's the only big bore I'm interested in as far as a hunting rifle.
    Huh?
    Why?
    A .375H&H is enough gun for ... anything!
    Holliday and Reload like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Had a Winchester M70 in 375 H&H years ago. Used the 235 gr Speer for practice with a minimum powder charge. The 375 H&H will generally shoot most bullet weights 235 - 300 into the same group at 100 yards.

When I was overseas with the Army in 1970, I decided I wanted a #1 rifle. First tried to order a 458 Magnum from the Gun Club. They couldnt get it. So, I tried for a 375 H&H and got the same result. Since they had a standard 30-06 in stock for $115.00, I bought that.

Still would like a #1 in 375 H&H. Very versatile handloaders cartridge. Load it with 38-55 type up to really big game loads. What's not to like?
    M700, Sambane and Reload like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Shot a fellow soldiers' 375 H&H Sako bolt rifle at the Fairbanks, AK Municipal Gun Range back in 1993. Took aim at a water jug 200 yards away though the Leupold scope and pulled the trigger. Couldn't see the remains of the plastic jug afterwards--it was like it vanished. On the ceasefire--we went out to the target site and found the jug smashed flat into the snow. The clear jug had blended in so well with the white background that none of us could see it with optics.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 06-11-2019 at 09:40 AM.
    M700, Sambane and Reload like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    [QUOTE=Sambane;7884657]Huh?
    Why?
    A .375H&H is enough gun for ... anything!

[/QUOTE

I want the 405 because it's straight cased and can use in Ohio. 375H&H is more gun than 405 win. We can use 45/70 but it's rainbow trajectory leaves much to be desired.
    Sambane likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sambane may not know that some of our states have a "straight case" rule for rifle cartridges & deer hunting. It's an interesting law for sure, but hey, at least you guys get to use rifles now, not just shotguns & muzzle loaders!

Guy
    Pig Ninja, Sambane and Reload like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Sambane may not know that some of our states have a "straight case" rule for rifle cartridges & deer hunting. It's an interesting law for sure, but hey, at least you guys get to use rifles now, not just shotguns & muzzle loaders!

Guy
    Thanks Guy.

I do know about the shotgun laws in some states, but did not know there were any governing rules about straight walled rifle cases.
    We, have a few crazy rules, but I cannot get behind the straight walled thinking .... can someone enlighten me somewhat?
    I don't want to cause any thread drift, so pm me if you think it better.

So, this means that even a Ruger No1 cannot be used. The .375 H&H do not have its reputation over here from being an inadequate cartridge. On the contrary, it is a most exceptional performer as you all well know, in single shot, double rifle or a magazine rifle. Mostly the concern is the rifle and not the cartridge.

A Ruger No1 is truly a fantastic rifle and there are no concerns in my mind having a .375H&H in one. I good and experienced hands even the sought after following-up shot is not problematic. On thin skinned, non`dangerous game, big or small, a .375 H&H is an outstanding calibre.

So, for me , a unequivocally to a .375 H&H + Ruger No1 combination, anywhere!
    Are we going for elephant, kudu, croc, steenbok, suni or even a lion or a leopard or just to the range for an outing?
    You have a super setup there, for anything.
    Over here it'll also rush you an arm and a leg and a bit more if you were lucky enough to find a No1 available.

Last edited by Sambane; 06-12-2019 at 05:29 AM.
    M700 and Reload like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links