my new sexy bolt gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deadeye
    Member #

my new sexy bolt gun

put it on lay away over at bailey's house of guns in Houston. the store owner's son is about 17 or 18 and he is such a fine example of a young man, yes sir in between every breath, digging out every gun I asked about though I told him don't bother, anyway that young man was the main factor in me buying the gun.
    the caliber is 7mm-08. and damn it was expensive. everything is really going up.
    I already picked up some brass and 120 gr ballistic tips. waiting on some lyman dies i ordered, and got two piece mounts and rings.
    I would prefer to shoot the deer with 140's or more but I have a .308 and Im trying to do something a little different.
    im already worried about the 120 gr ballistic tips blowing up and any shot I make is going to be boiler room or neck only.

if anybody replies and I ignore you its because we have smartfilter at work and right now it is down and letting me go to the evil gun sites.
    anyhow so long my gun buddies.
    Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.
    Life NRA
    Team 444 Member# 184

Deadeye
    Member #

my new sexy bolt gun

well this gun is at a gunsmith's shop right now. the furthest forward scope mount hole when I tried to get the threaded plug out half of the head snapped off.
    Though taken from established manufacturers' sources and presumed to be safe please do not use any load that I have posted. Please reference Hogdon, Lyman, Speer and others as a source of data for your own use.
    Life NRA
    Team 444 Member# 184

Gun Wizard
    Member #

my new sexy bolt gun

HMGH,
    Love that stainless and laminate combo. I can't tell for sure from the picture. What kind of a rifle is that? A 700 maybe? That 7mm-08 always looked like a winner to me.
    I share your concern on the Ballistic Tips. I got I think a good buy on several boxes for 270 Weatherby and 7mm Weatherby.
    I was out at my farm a few days ago and stacked up some old encyclopedias against a tree to see what one would do out of the 270 Roy. Well I only took one shot at 100 yards and the bullet didn't go more than 6" or so before it knocked the rest over the place and exited out the side. I decided not to try again, as it took me some time to clean up the mess. Wish I'd got that on video!
    The darn Weatherby's, I just don't know....... I think I'll go to a less fragile bullet and try to find something that needs whacking with that kind of energy. A poor deer would have to be out there, or it wouldn't be much good for eatin'!
    Let us know how you do.
    Regards
    Bestboss
    I have given up reality for Lever actions, Jeeps and have a wife that understands. It's a better world!
    Team 30-30 #236. Team 1894 #187.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #

My new sexy bolt gun

I'll tell you my opinion on the 120 grain balistic tips. I for one would think they might be a little fragile. I have killed some deer with the 7x08 using a 120 grain Nosler solid base bullets but I did have bullet failure on instance that I can remember. I shot a deer facing me and shot a little high, bullet kinda ran down its backbone. When we were skinning the deer we found the copper jacket mushroomed out but no lead in it. It was like the lead just squirted out. They say that this will happen when the bullet tumbles on impact. A couiple of days later while eating this deer I bit down on something, it was the lead core from the bullet. I would be inclined to go with a 140 SP in the 7x08. I loaded the nosler 140 for years in a 7x57 with complete satisifaction.

Regards
    Horseshoe

Gun Wizard
    Member #

my new sexy bolt gun

Remmington 700 Mountain Rifle LSS.

Nice, I've got it's cousin in 30-06. I got to shoot it today out to 200 off bipods. I'd personally like the 140 grs in 7-08 over 120 grs, but I don't remember you asking.

I think you'll like her.
    Gun Control is a Liberal Hate Crimes against Good Ole Boys.
    Introduce a kid or neighbor to hunting or shooting.

Platinum Poster
    Member #

my new sexy bolt gun

They is Pretty.. :lol:
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: my new sexy bolt gun

well, I had to bump this thread because I finally kilt a deer with this gun, 120 gr BT, H335 I think
    I hunt east texas where it is very common to never see a deer. I was thirty feet up in my treelounge and when I took the shot I was shakin like I was Don Knotts in the ghost and mr. chicken

I love the rifle, I ended up gettin another one just like it in .260
    the scope on the 7mm-08 is an old $50 4x Widefield that I sunk about another hundred bucks into getting rebuilt...
    the shot was at least two hundred yards, I'm really proud of the deer, fair chase and all. I confess my eyes filled with tears when I walked up on him.
    Life NRA
    Team 444 Member# 184

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Well now, ain't that a beautiful combo......deer and rifle!!!
    Steve, in Massachusetts...

I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt.

Be American, Buy American... Stimulate!

Contributing Member
    Member #

Congratulations! Nice buck, taken with a nice rifle.

Platinum Poster
    Member #

Nice looking set up and nice Rack.
    Gunjunkie..

"Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links