Guns for southpaws
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Guns for southpaws

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Wink Guns for southpaws

Like many southpaws, I was drawn to lever actions. But, I have never had a problem using pumps, semi-automatics, and obviously a number of single shots. Altering safeties or other controls has never really been needed. I just accommodate. I have a Remington 700 BDL-LH in .270 Winchester and a left-handed flintlock built by an old friend who is also left handed about 30 years ago who sold it to my family as a Christmas present for me about 8-10 years ago, but never owned any other guns specifically for lefties. Being a southpaw has obviously not stopped me from accumulating a rather large number of firearms, all of which I shoot on occasion. The anti-gun nuts would probably describe me as owning an "arsenal". :big grin:
    Owen49, MacSr63, turbobug and 6 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    My daughter is left handed but I figure unless she's buying a guitar then she can accommodate as well.
    gunscrewguy, Owen49 and Gr8rtst like this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I believe lever actions with right side loading gates ARE built for southpaws. It's said that Samuel Colt was a lefty hence the right side loading gate on single actions.

A lefty can hold a Marlin with his strong hand, holding the gun aimed at his target and be able to load rounds into the gate.

AC

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    My daughter is left handed but I figure unless she's buying a guitar then she can accommodate as well.
    Can she just invert the strings and flip the pickguard if so equipped? (not a guitar person, or a lefty, just a thought)

AC

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    Can she just invert the strings and flip the pickguard if so equipped? (not a guitar person, or a lefty, just a thought)

AC
    On some guitars yes, on others no. The biggest issue is the intonation or string length. All guitars have a scale length but the bass strings are always set a little longer than the treble strings. Some guitar bridges can accommodate this but others are permanently angled so cannot be inverted. I have built a lot of guitars from raw lumber so figure if she ever wants a lefty I'll help her build one.
    Owen49, gunscrewguy and a9mmfan like this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I’m a lefty and drawn to lever actions also. Except I’m a screwed up lefty that shoots righty.
    gunscrewguy and two80rem like this.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749, Team 444 ​#761
    Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Wrangler
    Member #
    My father is left handed.
    He primarily uses a Savage 110 LH 30-06 that my grandfather bought him back in the 60s, I think it was. Of course when he's not using that, he's using the Marlin 30-30 that he bought for me to use for my first deer rifle.
    10acres and gunscrewguy like this.
    Team 444 - #748
    Team 1894 - #546
    Team .35 Rem - #741

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHunter View Post
    Like many southpaws, I was drawn to lever actions. But, I have never had a problem using pumps, semi-automatics, and obviously a number of single shots. Altering safeties or other controls has never really been needed . . .
    As a left-handed shooter I also own mostly right-handed firearms. The only types which I avoid are bolt guns (unless left-handed), right-handed flintlocks, and guns with cross bolt safeties, especially ones with the crossbolt safety forward of the trigger.
    Owen49, gunscrewguy and sack like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My brother is a lefty but can shoot fine righty. He also plays guitar righty. But he golfs lefty - so go figure...

His comment with guitars and guns... It's a whole lot easier if you juwt bite the bullet and learn righty.... And a WHOLE lot cheaper to boot... As lefty guitars and guns are like hen's teeth.....

He really does like Browning guns a whole lot - as they are mostly either top or bottom eject....
    10acres and gunscrewguy like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Exactly how how I do it. Use pretty much the same technique for the lever gun as I do when I load my 870 or Mossberg 930 on some of the training courses I’ve shot. No need to flip it over as the gate is on the side but you get the idea.
    I feel like as a lefty, lever guns afford an advantage I don’t get with a bolt or Semi auto, but as much shooting as I’ve done with the AR/M-16 rifles, that’s almost 2nd nature to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    I believe lever actions with right side loading gates ARE built for southpaws. It's said that Samuel Colt was a lefty hence the right side loading gate on single actions.

A lefty can hold a Marlin with his strong hand, holding the gun aimed at his target and be able to load rounds into the gate.

AC
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links