Guns for southpaws - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Guns for southpaws

Sidewinder
    Member #
    My wife and I are both Lefties. We love our levers and single actions.
    Oh, BTW, our percussion Muzzies are right handed , so I put a brass shield around the nipples for safety. (This actually keeps the area cleaner).
    A RH flinter might be a problem.
    Judson, two80rem and gunscrewguy like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I am a righty, but my the vision in my right eye, even corrected is poor enough that I can't see the front sight, so I started shooting lefty about 20 years ago.

So now I can shoot either side. I have a number of levers, which helps but only 2 LH bolts, a CZ452 and a Browning micro-hunter in .243 I can shoot RH Bolts, but I can't keep on target while racking the next round in. Handguns are no problem, either side. I do notice that if I am not paying attention, I always pick up a firearm with my right and then transfer it to my left.
    gunscrewguy and rlm1 like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    A lefty that learned to shoot right handed because that's all we had back then. For levers the scout scope is a good way to keep both eyes open.
    two80rem and gunscrewguy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    i'm a lefty but not in politics!
    i have a FEW left handed guns... TIKKA 308, SAVAGE MODEL 16 308, REMINGTON MODEL 788 6MM, 2 REMINGTON 700 7MM MAGS, BROWNING BAR SHORTRAC 243, AND 2 REMINGTON 11-87 12GA SHOTGUNS.
    turbobug, gunscrewguy and rlm1 like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Iím a lefty. My first long gun was a .308 bolt action - a Ruger M77MkII, right handed. I just got used to it and lived with it. But, when I had the chance to buy a new bolt gun, I bought a left-handed Remington 700 precision rifle. Once I experienced left-handed bolt guns, I never looked back, and my next one was a lefty too.

Other than bolt guns, handedness has never really been an issue for me with firearms. (Iíve also been playing guitar for 55 years now, and I refuse to mess around with trying to restring right handed guitars. I buy a nice lefthanded guitars, and wonít compromise on that.) With the exception of 3 or 4 pistols I have that come with ambidextrous safeties, or allow reversing of the magazine button, Iíve never been bothered by shooting right handed pistols, and just adapted my techniques to it. Not a bid deal. Now, maybe I sacrifice some fraction of a second in doing mag swaps or something, but Iím not a professional gunfighter, and even though I carry a firearm, my primary tactic is to avoid trouble in the first place. I do own a couple of left-handed shotguns - a Benelli SBE II and a Stoeger Condor Competition - but Iíve never had trouble shooting a right handed shotgun either. Ditto for the half-dozen semiautomatic MSRs I own.

Then, in December of 2016, I bought my first lever action - a 336BL Remlin, manufactured that year. It had some pretty good points, and some pretty bad points. The good was that it shot straight, and with the right load (in this case, the 160 grain LEVERevolution) it was quite accurate for a sort of general purpose gun. The bad news was that it was very poorly assembled. The fit of the wood to the receiver left a lot to be desired. I wasnít bothered by the laminated wood itself ....this is a ďtruck gunĒ, so fancy French walnut wasnít necessary.... but the mating of the wood to the metal was sloppy. The magazine tube was loose and cocked off to one side at the muzzle end. The tenon that sits in the dovetail at the muzzle end, to which the magazine tube is fastened by means of a screw, was slide out of the dovetail almost halfway, producing the magazine tubeís shift to one side. To fix it, I removed the endcap band that caps the fore end, centered the tenon in the dovetail, and tightened it down so it would not shift again. I then replaced the fore end wood and the endcap, and guess what? With everything properly lined up, the two screws that fasten the endcap to its dovetailed tenon, no longer line up with the screw holes in the tenon. With the screws properly threaded into the holes, they look like they are cross-threaded. Whoever built this rifle was either drunk, or incompetent; and it is this kind of manufacturing malfeasance that is killing Remington. And to add insult to injury, the loading gate was so stiff that I gave up trying to load rounds into the magazine at the range while zeroing the rifle, and I just started feeding them in one at a time though the ejection port. A friend pointed me to Ranger Point Precision (Marlin Loading Gate | Flyweight, Easy Loading) for a replacement loading gate with a bit more give in it, and that solved that problem........but I had to spend money to replace a part that Remington should have never allowed to leave the factory.

Now Iím not that upset about it. Like I said, its a truck gun, and as long as long as it shoots straight and the action functions, Iím OK with it. The trigger on this thing is not great, but it is acceptable; and although the lever throw isnít as buttery smooth as it should be, it is acceptable. But a rifle that sells for over $600 shouldnít leave the factory looking like it was assembled by a junky in a hurry to leave and get another fix. Itís just the principle of the thing.

My second lever action was a Henry .22 Frontier Octagon. Loading through the magazine tube is a bit wonky, but everything else about the rifle is really nice. The wood is beautiful, and the bluing is even and has depth. The action is buttery smooth. The trigger is nice and crisp. And it shoots like a whiz. Based on that experience, I determined that my next lever action - in .45-70 - was going to be a Henry because I just wasnít willing to put up with a crapily assembled rifle ....... and then ...... queue music, enter stage left the opportunity to buy a genuine pre-Remington ďJMĒ marked model 1895G in .45-70 from a friend at a reasonable price. Now THIS is a proper Marlin! My friend had taken excellent care of it, and the rifle was immaculate - no dings, marks, dents, or scrapes. He had only put 48 rounds through it during the time he had it. The rifle is, for all practical purposes, brand new.

I just got it a few days ago, and shot it for the first time yesterday. Per the serial#, it was manufactured in 2006. It has all the proper JM markings on the barrel. The action cycles the way it is supposed to cycle - like buttah. The trigger is nice and crisp. The wood is drop-dead gorgeous, and the loading gate doesnít cause arthritis and muscle cramps. This is how a lever action rifle should be. I will say that I was startled by the recoil of the .45-70 cartridge. Iím not normally recoil sensitive and havenít ever been bothered by heavy .308 loads or 12 gauge shotgun slugs, but the .45-70 was different. Partly, it was because I was a 100ļ day at an outdoor range, after standing around in the sun for a couple of hours in a tactical bay. I shot offhand from a standing position, and I was surprised by the thump I got to the shoulder. I fired just 5 rounds of 300 grain Winchester Super-X just to see what it was like. It doesnít help that the rifle only weighs 7 lbs., but I think that I was also just plumb wore out and a bit dehydrated. I was shooting at a steel plate, so I didnít really get any idea of grouping. I was just checking to see if the gun worked as advertised, and that it would shoot generally where it was pointed. This week, Iím going to go to another range with some rifle benches, and run 3 or 4 rounds each of the following loads on a 50 yard target to see where they print:

• 300 grain Winchester Super-X
    • 325 grain Hornady LEVERevolution FTX
    • 350 grain Buffalo Bore +P

In any case, I am REALLY satisfied with this Marlin, and if I can find a pre=Remington 336 .30-30 in similar condition to this 1895G, Iíll snap it up. I love these older Marlins. You can keep the new ones.
    gunscrewguy and puma guy like this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 10acres View Post
    Iím a lefty and drawn to lever actions also. Except Iím a screwed up lefty that shoots righty.
    I taught myself to shoot righty in my early teens. Two reasons mainly, i didnít care for taking the rifle off my shoulder to reload a right handed bolt and I couldnít afford a left handed flintlock.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    If common sense were only common

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MUZZLEDUSTER View Post
    A RH flinter might be a problem.
    i did it once, not something I care to do again.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    If common sense were only common

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My son is a lefty.. Knowing this I tailored his guns to accommodate a lefty.. A Henry lever .22 at age 8.... A Remington youth left handed 700SPS youth model in 7mm-08 at age 10... At age 14, a Versa Max 12ga right handed, in which the safety was switched (REM now makes a lefty version)... At age 15, he was adamant he wanted a gun like dads, and after a long search he received his favorite, a 1895XLR in 45-70...

Can never have too many;
    1895xlr, 1894cs, 1894css, 1894ltdss, 338mxlr, 336ss, 336gbl, 336cs, 39a, 36a
    And still looking for more...

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Just found out about a company that makes semi-auto M14s in left hand, Products ? Bula Defense Systems
    They have a couple of different variations. No idea of quality.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I forgot that I also own a Stag Arms left-hand AR-15.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links